It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:30

New Topic Add Reply
Nymphs for the ages?
Post 22 Jan 2021, 18:47 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Being afflicted with an addiction to dry fly fishing for trout, I'm not much of a nymph fisherman but...
These two flies have withstood the test of time and are favorites of mine. Casual Dress and Bird's Nest.

Re: Nymphs for the ages?
Post 22 Jan 2021, 20:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I hear ya, dry or die, but I do succumb to the dark arts on occasion. Those like great, I might have to give those a try.

Post 22 Jan 2021, 20:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Those are great ties Pat. When you earlier posted your emergers using Snowshoe hare fur, I ordered some and have been using it with some success. I like it a lot better than CDC and it makes great parachute posts.

Post 22 Jan 2021, 21:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Roy, thanks for the nice words. Both are simple, quick ties.

Casual Dress is made solely of muskrat fur and guard hairs. Bird's nest is opposum, gold wire rib, and woodduck flank.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 08:11 • #5 
Master Guide
They are cool flies. Both of them.

fwiw here are links to a pair of originals, actually tied by Cal Bird and Polly Rosborough

https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopage=Flies/Cal-Bird

https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopag ... -Dress.jpg

Last edited by pittendrigh on 23 Jan 2021, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 08:28 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet. That style, by the way, especially if tied with a water-resistant fur body, is easily false cast to dry enough for a few good floats over a rising fish. If that seems more effective at the moment, it can be trimmed astream to reduce bulk and even out the fibers so it floats even better. Often that one style will outfish an specific imitation conventional dry fly pattern. Same later on for a spinner fall.

Start a day with a size range of that style in various colors (for example, beaver instead of muskrat) and you can fish all day through several hatch cycles without ever changing pattern.

Wing material as shown is kind of a constant for me, but those are good for experimenting as well. The pattern makes a good quick float as a caddis imitation, but if that is a frequent or expected need, deer hair adds float there and is then trimmed away astream when it's time to go under again.

Great patterns, nicely shown.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 18:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Great to see PPs take and Pitt with the originals.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 19:23 • #8 
Master Guide
Those are some beautifully tied flies. The birds nest is one of all time greatest nymphs ever conceived. It’s my go to fly and has accounted for numerous bass, trout, carp, catfish and panfish over the years. It works equally well in lakes and ponds as well as streams and rivers. If I could only fish one fly this would be it.

New Topic Add Reply