It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jan 2021, 18:07 • #1 
Master Guide
Ok. It's not a Hendrickson at all. It's a Paraducks

Perhaps too small for a Hendrickson. Tied on a #20 Kumota scud hook.
Duck flank, Senyo Laser Dub, rooster feather, ZapAGap (at the fulcrum of the parachute) and Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric cement, painted onto the bottom of the abdomen.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 04 Feb 2021, 08:03, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hendrickson?
Post 14 Jan 2021, 05:51 • #2 
Sport
Nice tie!

Post 14 Jan 2021, 09:24 • #3 
Master Guide
Same fly with a black background. This will be fun to play with. Next one I'll make the hackle a bit sparser.

Dang. I made four tail fibers instead of three. Trout that passed algebra won't take?

Post 14 Jan 2021, 10:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The black background really makes the fly look better and I doubt that trout can count.

Post 14 Jan 2021, 13:11 • #5 
Master Guide
If you are talking about Ephemerella Subvaria, it is much to small. Size 12 or 14

Post 17 Jan 2021, 13:24 • #6 
Master Guide
:=)) Generic mayfly. It this size it could be a Baetis. Blue Winged Olive.
Small is harder so I like to make them small. Then size 12 is a snap.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 23:33 • #7 
Sport
Very nice! I like that a lot!

Post 24 Jan 2021, 08:32 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Nice pattern. I like the parachute hackle positioned beneath the thorax. It presents a much more realistic impression on the water.

When hatched and floating on the water the only thing that touches the surface of the water is the legs. Tail, ab, and thorax are lifted off the surface. Mayflies have six legs. Less hackle is better.

I like that your hackle legs are supporting the fly. Can't see it in your pics, how is your hackle wrapped? Around a post under the thorax?

Neat stuff.

Post 24 Jan 2021, 13:18 • #9 
Master Guide
How done? I'm buy a camera soon, that can do better video than the one I have.

In the mean time put a thin #10 beading needle in the vice (sic). Wax it up with purple cross country ski wax.

Start some thread. Lash down long tail fibers and the tip of a duck flank feather slightly wetted with fabric cement. Wind out to the base of the tails, loosely with widely-spaced wraps. Wind back to the wing position--loosely with widely-spaced wraps.

Pull a long strand of Senyo Laser Dub upwards around both sides of the needle body. Wrap twice horizontally above the needle while pulling up on wing fibers. Whip finish. Slide the body off the needle. Bend it as you wish. Carefully stroke on a bit more fabric cement to keep the abdomen from unraveling.

Lash a hackle feather to a short shank down eye light wire scud hook (Tiemco something).
Use two or three LOOSE wraps to kinda sorta fasten the modular body on top of the hook. Pull up on the wing tips with one hand while winding horizontally with the other a good six wraps. This tightens things up a bit and it forms a bit of a thread post between shank and body, around which you will wind the hackle in the next step.

Whip finish. Wind the hackle between body and shank. Turn the fly sideways so the bottom faces you. Leave hackle pliers attached to the tag end of the hackle feather, hanging down.

Put a dab of glue at the fulcrum of the parachute. ZapAGap or some UV glue. Breath on ZapAGap to cure it, or shine UV light.

Pull on the hackle pliers to put tension on the tag tip of the feather. Press a razor blade up to the base of the hackle feather, so it gets snipped but not the loose hackle fibers.

It's done. Casts well. Floats well. Lands upright every time. Dries off quickly. I find them easier to tie than traditional Catskill flies. Catskills are easy enough if you don't mind messy flies. The fish don't seem to mind messy flies either. But making a neatly tied Catskill fly is difficult. An art form. The above modular parachutes all seem to come off my vise quickly, and all looking much the same.

........note too. You can use other wing materials. CDC looks good but it's not as easy tow work with as Senyo Laser Dub. For the abdomen you don't have to use a duck flank feather it's just the easy way. You can make a dubbed body with ribbing. Those do tend to end up fatter. Duck flank makes a skinny body, if you want it.

https://www.joann.com/darice-john-james ... 44612f3cbb

New Topic Add Reply