It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:49

New Topic Add Reply
Scottys McFly leaning
Post 12 Jan 2021, 12:49 • #1 

I tied up 3 of these for bass fishing after seeing Tim Flagler's recent video. I think I did a good job tying them symmetrically but after testing them in the creek they lean. Sometimes the lean over on one side, sometimes they lean over on the other side.
I suspect the weight of the hook bend pulls the fly over in either direction almost like a fulcrum but I'm not sure. It's a Tiemco 5263 hook, Copper cone with 6-7 wraps of .030 lead wire behind the cone. The knot I'm using is a Duncan loop.

When you let the fly settle to the bottom and twitch it, the fly orientates itself fine. When you swim it it leans over to one side or another.

Unlike a streamer like a bugger the Scotty McFly is not tied in the round. There is a top and a bottom so I'd like to come up with a solution before I tie more of these. Any ideas? Jerry

Post 12 Jan 2021, 13:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Possibly putting the red under strands (can't see for sure if fiber or a thicker synthetic) on each side of the hook, with a extra wraps of thread if necessary to angle them downward. A slight downward V-shape will pulse just under the hook, both up and down and widening, narrowing the V. BUT, that sideling behavior might be effective, suggesting a crippled baitfish. I see an experiment coming switching back and forth from the fly tied as is to the fly tied with whatever mod appears best for a more uniform swim.

Post 12 Jan 2021, 15:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I see it as a basic marabou jig and would fish it with that in mind, heavily weighted head isn't meant to swim like a streamer, maybe. A strip and pause on a floating line should cause the jig to rise then fall.
With the wing being two marabou feathers and the throat only one feather, the wing should support the fly in a correct attitude as it flutters down. But, I haven't tied nor fished the fly and I never saw the Bill Spicer TV show where he used it, so my guess is just a guess.

Post 13 Jan 2021, 16:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Lead or brass eyes instead of the cone.Weight will be distributed more evenly.Try tying on a jig hook.MAKE it do what you want.

Post 13 Jan 2021, 18:45 • #5 
I appreciate the replies. I tied up two variations with some improvement. Tying a flat piece of lead under the hook shank and spreading out the wing helped but it still looks injured. Maybe that's good? If I stick with this pattern I'll try the dumb bell eyes and tie it jig style. Cheers, Jerry

Post 22 Jan 2021, 22:05 • #6 
Guide
The original pattern doesn’t use lead wire. Fwiw I’ve used this fly without any extra lead and I don’t recall it fishing sideways...but maybe it did (?) I wonder if the extra weight causes the fly to be forward heavy? This fly has been around for awhile and got popular when it was profiled on a fly fishing show. It’s an awesome pattern and like most patterns, the colours can be swapped out to match whatever you want. Tied in fire tiger colours in larger sizes its great for pike.
If anyone is interested you can google it to find Scott tying it.

New Topic Add Reply