It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 05:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jan 2021, 07:09 • #1 
Master Guide
Anybody got any ideas what this is? A friend asked me if I knew the name of this fly but I'm in the dark as to what it might be. I'm hoping somebody here might recognize it. Thanks!

Post 11 Jan 2021, 12:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Close to an Alder or Leadwing Coachman - but does not explain the golden pheasant tail. I'll keep looking.

I found a traditional wet fly called the Hardy's Favorite which is close. Maybe someone just cobbled this fly together using known effective natural materials. It happens.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 12:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Funny, I have pretty much forgotten most fly pattern names and more or less think of the organism(s) that would be imitated when I see a pattern. First to mind with that was the alder fly. I don't know the name of that pattern, if indeed it has one other than as a local variation or angler's favorite. I'd like to know but it may just be a fiber-based variation of several patterns that work well in the lower stems of rivers and marginal trout waters where trout grow big on alder flies. Zug bug, leadwing coachman, brown hackle, and so on.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 15:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That is a Mopey Dick, it is intended to be a nymph, but some fish it in bigger sizes as a streamer. It is a great wet fly too. It was invented by a fly fisherman and bait shop owner from western New England. I cannot remember the man's name, but it you google the fly's name, you might find it. The Mopey is one of my favorite flies, and it is a killer on streams like the Farmington, Westfield and Deerfield rivers in western Mass during the months of late April through June. I am sure it will work for Vermont too. For hook size, I prefer a 4x #10 streamer hook.

The golden pheasant tippet is an important component, as is the teal wing tied flat over the body of peacock herl. I sometime add a ribbing of gold wire, or green tinsel flash.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 16:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
very similar to "Teal and black" and not altogether different than the old "brown (black, red, etc.) hackle peacock" that could use either tippet or red fibers for tail and could be tied as wet or dry. I think maybe I've seen 5-10 patterns using tippet tails and peacock body

It's interesting to me that in bygone years changing one material such as using rib instead of palmer or wood duck in place of mallard would constitute a "new" and "separate" pattern and that today some things like pheasant tail nymph or woolly bugger nymph have so many (unusual) variations that the originator would be baffled by some even using the name.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 17:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Archfly, do you know that fly by "mopey dick" as a variation of "Moby dick" as shown here, where, again little variations are shown, such as the use of mallard flank feathers and a palmered body? I don't know if these are tier's preference adaptations, or two slightly different patterns. I about always use wire ribbing on a peacock herl body so was interested in the comment that he feels it is sufficiently durable without. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJeYywNMSK4

All in the family, that's for sure. Larger versions might be thought of as minnow imitations, but patterns of this type are also good in waters (lower river stems, again) that host, not only the alder fly, but the meaty Dobson fly, and probably suggest stoneflies as well. Same as the picketpin mentioned in the video, easier to tie for a dub at the vice like me, or a grizzly hackled wooly-worm style fly with a peacock herl body.

Like the fly shown, versatile, suggestive patterns that can be varied in details and size according to whim or local knowledge. Once in a while, who can resist putting in two wraps of flat gold or silver tinsel at the tail, or a few wraps of gold or silver wire to form a head. Or both.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 18:06 • #7 
Master Guide
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much!

B

Post 12 Jan 2021, 15:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
B, You are welcome! One of my father's friends told me it was tied to imitate a particular nymph, maybe a stonefly. Let me know how it works in Vermont.

Trev, Yes the Bonnie Red Hackle, although I much prefer the grizzly hackle in western New England. As far as changing the name of a fly, folk classification drives when a modification to an old standby qualifies as a new fly. Because the rules are not written, they tend to shift with time. I can only relate what I was told when I was learning to tie flies back in the dark ages of the early 1960s.

whrlpool, I believe it was Dave Goulet who originated the pattern. Rich Strolis is a tier of some renown here, and I really like his style. I would say that he is tying a streamer and it is not the same fly. The Mopey has a flat teal wing, and never would have palmer-tied hackle. I don't agree with him that the herl body can take it. I always chased the herl twists with a turn of tying thread like Ray Bergman said to do in his book: Trout. Believe me, I made high school lunch money repairing Mopey Dick bodies for the fly fishermen on our street. All it takes is to catch one fish, and the body starts to unwind (and that beautiful tippet tail begins to get chewed). It never bothers the trout though.

There is also a second nymph that Dave Goulet tied, The Dopey Dick, which was the same fly only tied with a yellow chenille body and Lady Amherst tippet. It is a great pattern to use when golden stonefly nymphs are drifting around.

I could go on, but it would only sound like a doddering old man telling stories from his youth. :)

New Topic Add Reply