It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:46

New Topic Add Reply
Brownbear Black
Post 27 Dec 2020, 12:18 • #1 
Master Guide
Brownbear Black

This was Al Troth's answer to woven hair hackle flies from Henry Wombacher, George Grant and Frans Pott. It had a nicely flared hair hackle without weaving--achieved by jamming the hackle up against the shoulder of a relatively fat woven hair body.

Exactly how he wove that orange stripe into the bottom of the body isn't clear. I wonder if someone knows more about it.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 28 Dec 2020, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Brownbear Black
Post 27 Dec 2020, 18:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have never gotten the hang of woven bodies . That one looks beyond the normal woven flies i have seen,My local and only real fly shop used to sell beautiful woven flies .Made by an old immigrant Polish woman.They were spoken for before they hit the fly bins.The owner told me she somehow crocheted them.I asked him to set a few aside on the next order.Unfortunately he had to close his shop during the recession and was closed down my next visit.They were quite elaborate and i think they were more sought after as collectibles than to fish with.

Post 28 Dec 2020, 10:21 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" I don't think she was from Poland. I would know that. Being Polish and all. :) I think the woman you refer to is Torill Kolbu. She was Norwegian. Top shelf tier. Here are a couple of photos from the 1997 November/December issue of the Fly-fishing & Fly Tying magazine. I think this is who you are talking about. Sorry for the poor photos. They are from a pocket camera. It's the best I can do.

Post 28 Dec 2020, 21:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
H/F-Is she from the Chicago area?I believe the flyshop owner was of Polish decent himself.Chicago has a large Polish population,i work with several Polish immigrants,I will have to hunt down that article.Really are interesting flies.

Post 28 Jan 2021, 16:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
A friend of mine ties woven flies down to about size #18.I dont have a clue how he does it but he just loves tying small flies.A friend of his who has since passed away actually tied a #32 Royal Coachman on a dare.He was in his 60s and didnt even need glasses.I need glasses to tie a #6 wooly bugger. :)

Post 28 Jan 2021, 18:55 • #6 
Master Guide
From looking at the orange braided in, I think I could do that pretty easy starting from the bend working up. Not so easy to explain how I would do it though. I would be tying the body with a bundle of material, spun onto the thread is what I would do, followed by the orange material chased by a thread rib pulling it down in between where the bundle wraps laid together.
Not sure if that is how it was done but that is how I would try it.

Russell

Post 29 Jan 2021, 08:09 • #7 
Sport
I think that method is basically tying an overhand knot around the hook shank with the orange yarn passing under the hook shank and the black yarn always over the top of the hook shank. Looks cool when done on a tapered underbody.

Post 29 Jan 2021, 20:18 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
pittendrigh wrote:
Brownbear Black

Exactly how he wove that orange stripe into the bottom of the body isn't clear. I wonder if someone knows more about it.

Sandy, do you have the fly on hand? I was wondering if you have a better picture of orange/black transition.

An Al Toth montage would be neat. It really is amazing to see his flies (and your photos of course).

Post 30 Jan 2021, 08:24 • #9 
Master Guide
RE> "Do I have the fly on hand?"

No this fly is from Tom Morgan's fly collection. I borrowed the entire box (of boxes) last year. I would have done a more thorough job but I was then and still am now a Covid long hauler. I'm finally in pretty good shape now but back then, when I had the flies, I was a mess, capable of maybe two hours work a day. And it takes a good three hours just to get dressed washed and then to feed yourself?

New Topic Add Reply