New Topic Add Reply
Lightweight wiggler
Post 18 Sep 2020, 16:01 • #1 
Master Guide
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFSsrE3Dp4a/

Re: Lightweight wiggler
Post 18 Sep 2020, 16:37 • #2 
Guide
The motion is great, but what does the fly itself look like?

Post 18 Sep 2020, 17:07 • #3 
Master Guide
Skinny Minny

Post 13 Dec 2020, 12:38 • #4 
Master Guide
I cannot edit the original post for some reason. The vid has moved from Instagram to Youtube.
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwktLLD259w

Post 14 Dec 2020, 08:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I'm surprised that this wiggler hasn't had more comments. Would you describe it as a crankbait for fly fishing? I don't think it's any more objectionable than a wooly bugger, an articulated streamer, or a rabbit strip leach with a tungsten bead. Not very pleasing to look at in hand but I'll bet it would be very effective at times. I'll give it a try but won't tell anyone. :)

Post 14 Dec 2020, 16:39 • #6 
Master Guide
:=)) Yes it is a fly rod wiggler. Among other things it's too light to cast more than 20' feet with a spin rod. If that far.

These are special purpose flies. I don't fish them all day long. Variety is one of fly fishing's best rewards. Where do you fish these? You can snake them downstream into logjams. Sometimes I throw one way downstream while standing on a culvert, and then slowly, methodically work it upstream in the slower water left or right of the fast chute charging out of the culvert.

Heavier ones I sometimes throw downstream while wading. At the base of the Beartrap Canyon on the Madison is a 1/4 mile stretch below the start of the East side hiking trail and above the West side Warm Springs boat launch. This stretch gets a fair number of fly fisherman working the edges. Nobody fishes the middle. Except me. I like to wade in up above and bounce downstream in waist level water, pouncing up off my toes. If I lose my footing I pull my feet up and drift until it's shallow enough to put my feet down again.

I throw a wiggler (a riffle dart designed for maximum dive) downstream and back troll it as I go. I can roll cast a big loop left to make it swim left and versa visa.

I seldom catch more than one fish on that 1/4 mile hop step and bounce downstream but the one I do catch is almost always a big one.

Late in the day on a long float I often troll them along the bank, from the back of the boat. I've pulled up some nice browns on cold days in March, for instance on the Missouri down near Cascade, when nothing else seemed to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHWGs4Sq4

New Topic Add Reply