I've never seen one like it.

Any of you guys ever seen one or have any ideas
on who made it?

Post 24 Aug 2020, 19:29 • #2 
Master Guide
Leonardo Da Vinci?

Post 24 Aug 2020, 19:42 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Kinda has a home made look. I never saw one like it.

Post 25 Aug 2020, 08:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It looks much like a Xuron fly tying vise to me.

Post 25 Aug 2020, 09:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
aka Thomas/Darbee/Deren/Phelps/Catskill vise?
That's possible Crusty, I never saw one of those, although the pictures of them I've seen always show a base with a ball joint. I just looked through the 'net again and refreshed my memory.
When I started the stocked vises were Universal and Thompson and what Dick didn't have we didn't know about. When I said home made I was looking mainly at the "fancy" clamp, that could have come my Uncle's bench and the support rod looks a bit like a hay rake tooth.

Post 25 Aug 2020, 09:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Go Crusty. Looks like it ! And with a search the owner will now easily find many images of various Xuron vises to compare.

I, too, wondered if it were a hobby project vise, or perhaps a project done by a student in a shop class. Not because it looks crude in any way, but because it looks simple in design and components. Way back when, mags frequently offered designs for hobby stuff that made ideal shop class projects. Used to be learning something included being able to actually do something.

Neat item, regardless. Maybe someone else remembers or has a similar good vise produced with a simple home or school shop. Thanks for showing. Next pics: some flies in process in that vice.

Post 25 Aug 2020, 10:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Eric Leiser also used a Xuron vise. His book helped a lot of tiers how to tie their first flies. Xuron might be the same company that still makes Xuron tools, mostly specialty pliers. They make the best split ring pliers I’ve ever used.

Xuron vises are fairly simple. It would not surprise me if a number of handy guys balked at the selling price and made their own. There is also the possibilty it is an early version.

Post 26 Aug 2020, 17:42 • #8 
Guide
[Please don't quote the post immediately above - it's right there and your post makes perfect sense without the quoting. Tom]

That sounds likely.
Crustybugger and Trev.
aka Thomas/Darbee/Deren/Phelps/Catskill vise? Never heard of any of those before.
Xuron, that's another new one for me

Leonardo DaVinci. :lol good one

I'll try it Whirlpool

Post 26 Aug 2020, 19:09 • #9 
Administrator
I wish the original photo was clearer. As it is, the stem and clamp have a shop-made look to them. The semi-circular stem probably does a good job keeping the vise head aligned. I would guess, based on that wing bolt design, that the setup in the vise was an early model.

The Xuron vise head is an elegantly simple design. Perhaps too simple. I can't find any current vendors for the vise.

Tom

Post 26 Aug 2020, 21:33 • #10 
Guide
The vise does look professionally made.
It's stronger than it looks in the photo.
If I run across any details about it's history, I'll
pass it along with a better pic.
You're right of course about repeating .
I'll pay more attention in the future.
Thanks

Post 26 Aug 2020, 22:59 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Swamp, those are all names for essentially the same vise as it was made by or sold by different people, they have shown up at auction and there is some internet info on them. As mentioned they are pictured in books by certain authors. The head of yours does look like one but the stem and clamp don't look the same to me, of course they were likely made one at a time and many variations are possible.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 06:49 • #12 
FFR Founder
That vise is a Thomas. They had a small water-slide decal on the clamp that typically degraded and came off. I used to have one with most of the decal still on it. It’s a scarce model.

Post 07 Apr 2021, 18:31 • #13 
Guide
Thanks flytackle
I'll add that info to my notes

New Topic Add Reply