It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Aug 2020, 06:39 • #1 
Sport
Growing up back East, I don't have much experience fishing hoppers. Sure, we had hoppers, but they lived in the fields and most of my trout fishing was in more wooded settings. This General Foam Attractor (GFA) Hopper pattern looked good to me. We're headed to MT the day after Labor Day for a 2-week trip. Hoping we won't be too late for some hopper/dropper action. I'm tying up a small version (size 12) and a large version (size eight) in green, brown, tan, and yellow.

For a video with tying instructions, look here:

https://www.tu.org/blog/hopper-season/? ... &_zl=r48B2 [link is broken]

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 02 Aug 2020, 07:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Make sure to tie up some with yellow bodies and some with orange bodies. Nothing is green out west in August or September.

Post 02 Aug 2020, 13:46 • #3 
Sport
I appreciate your comments. I have yellow; also have brown and tan. I will shop for orange foam. On another forum, someone said find some olive foam.

Thanks- Ken

Post 02 Aug 2020, 15:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
GFA's have worked well for me in the Sierra, too. I also tie them in purple. The strangest fish seem to like them ...

There are an assortment of tutorials and videos out there. I like Tim Flagler's version -

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/video-tie-gfa-hopper

I usually substitute something else for the peacock herl though, peacock midge diamond braid, for example.

Post 02 Aug 2020, 19:02 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
These look like a foam variant of my favorite hopper pattern, the Madam-X (bullethead-hopper)

I'm sure they will work great. And the foam is even more buoyant than deerhair,

Post 02 Aug 2020, 22:22 • #6 
FlyFisherMann1955 wrote:
I have yellow; also have brown and tan. I will shop for orange foam. On another forum, someone said find some olive foam.
If you live near a Hobby Lobby, check it out for foam. They have a mixed pack of foam that has either 48 or 64 sheets that are about 6 inches by 8 inches each. The good thing is that it has dozens of different colors and shades including several in olive. I haven't bought a pack in a long time but I think it was something like $8 for the set.

Post 08 Aug 2020, 10:10 • #7 
Sport
Yes, Hobby Lobby is where I bought these foam sheets.

I now have orange and olive versions. Based on comments from a guy in Bozeman, I'm tying some with a white marabou underwing, which he said will provide the look of movement.

I appreciate all the comments.

Tight Lines- Ken

New Topic Add Reply