It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:25

New Topic Add Reply
clear coat for poppers
Post 22 Jun 2020, 08:28 • #1 
Guide
This topic may have been covered before - clear coat for poppers, what do you prefer?

I've been using Loon soft head for a clear coat on foam bass poppers. It stays a little tacky; unlike the store bought poppers. Anybody else notice this?
What are you guys using for a clear coat? I'm going to experiment with an optically clear epoxy, as I know that will cure completely.
Curious on what you guys use for foam bass poppers.
thanks

Post 23 Jun 2020, 15:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Have you tried the Loon Hard head cement. That stuff dries hard.

Last edited by Stonefly on 25 Jun 2020, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Jun 2020, 17:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I don't use poppers and the foam I use for gurglers goes natural, but I have seen these things recommended- water based acrylic paints, either from Rainy's or craft store (it comes in a clear as well as color) and the other is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails

Post 23 Jun 2020, 20:32 • #4 
Master Guide
Threadmaster Lite - over whatever color water base paint I use for body & eyes.

Post 24 Jun 2020, 20:33 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve used epoxy on crease flies, and it worked great for improving durability. I kinda liked the slight yellow tint from regular epoxy. Threadmaster should be clearer.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 16:33 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thinned Devcon 30min epoxy.

Oops, I didn't read the original post correctly. I use Devcon on cork/balsa poppers.
I avoid the hard foam, since they tend to get waterlogged and sink more, and if I'm going to spend the time I want them to fish a bit longer.

I tie a lot of soft foam patterns, but they don't get any coating.

Last edited by carlz on 27 Jun 2020, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 16:38 • #7 
Master Guide
Liquid fusion

Post 19 Jul 2020, 07:47 • #8 
Master Guide
In the past I have used Loon Hard Head and Delta Ceramcoat Varnish which are both water based polyurethane. Over time they both crack. That isn't a problem if you lose them to a fish before it happens. I have also used Devcon 30 minute and BSI 30 minute two part epoxies. They resist cracking but discolor over time. The latter is not that much of an issue. Lately I have been using Flexcoat Gel Lure Coat epoxy. It costs more than the Devcon and BSI but at the best I could coat 10 poppers using Devcon and BSI with one batch of epoxy and then only if I kept them cold to retard the curing process. With the Flexcoat I can coat 20 poppers without having to cool it and could probably coat more if my setup permitted it. The Flexcoat does require turning for a much longer time and I place a fan to blow the distasteful odor away from me while I am using it. Flexcoat is remarkably clear epoxy and I like the graduated reusable syringes which permit a better dialing in of the correct 50/50 proportions by volume.

carlz: Strange!? I have never had a hard foam popper become water logged even when the clear coat and paint came completely off through rough use. Were you using Wapsi or similar commercially available hard foam or using something you repurposed from another source?

Post 19 Jul 2020, 08:43 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
StippledPopper, Its great of you to chime in.

The "waterlogged" problem may not be the body itself. I'm using small poppers (size 6-10), and my guess is that by the time you put paint and clearcoat (and a hook) on, it is far less buoyant. I'm not sure why it happens, but I do find myself swapping out my foam poppers before an hour. I still use them (I have a bunch from J&M flies and they are gorgeous and hold up well).

Post 19 Jul 2020, 17:57 • #10 
Master Guide
Matching commercial hard foam popper bodies to hook is something of an art. What comes in a kit may not work for you. When selecting a hook for a body I try that combination in water to see how it floats before gluing or performing any of the other steps. When working with Balsa, cork, or bass wood I do the same. Sometimes I find I can reduce weight in the ones I shape myself by removing more of the body and still achieve the attitude of it sitting in the water I am after.

Post 20 Jul 2020, 12:10 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I am down to my last hard foam molded on the hook popper body.It has been my top choice over the years and are easily redressed over the winter.Like mentioned above,they sit a certain way.Twitched more than popped they just have that "something"that trips their trigger.I have made a few balsa prototypes of the exact size and shape but they are lighter.I use dollar store nail polish in multiple coats for finishes.Hard bodies last for several seasons so not like i need dozens of these.

New Topic Add Reply