It is currently 13 Aug 2020, 04:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Jun 2020, 10:03 • #1 
Sport
You can't deny that the action and profile of many of these modern streamers are impressive. The Sex Dungeon ( that's its name) is a pretty darn big fly to be throwing on any of my glass rods. I usually reserve throwing those with a 6 or 7 weight fast action graphite rod and depending on what line I'm using or the fishing conditions, depth and current, it can quickly turn into a chuck and duck session- we know how fun that can't be. So I started taking my favorite articulated streamers, big cats we call them down here, and tied them considerably smaller. About the same time MFC (Montana Fly Company) put the mini dungeon into production, a version less than half the mass of the original Sex Dungeon. Shortly after that Its creator Kelly Galloup came out with a video on how to tie the mini dungeon. It's a very instructive video but his mini dungeon was a touch sparse for my taste. Of a hand full of my favorite mini articulated streamers I favor the dungeon the most and then maybe these in order of preference: Mike Schmidt's mini viking midge, Galloup's peanut envy, Galloup's barely legal, Galloup's butt monkey, and a weightless version of the sex dungeon - like a articulated muddler. MFC has available mini versions of some of these patterns but not all are true minis in my opinion. Sizes can be taken down pretty small while maintaining proportions and more importantly how they're supposed to swim in the water. This brings me back to the why; why bother? Simply because I want to use what I feel are very advantageous fly patterns with my fiberglass fly rods - 4, 5 and 6 weight. Does that sound about right?
Thanks for looking!
- M

Last edited by MikeInChile on 06 Jun 2020, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Jun 2020, 10:19 • #2 
Master Guide
Good looking fly, I would fish that. Big streamers are not in my box at all.

Post 06 Jun 2020, 12:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That's a good sized fly for my bass water. I'd fish it, but it isn't one I'd tie; I just don't like working with deer hair.

Post 06 Jun 2020, 21:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Really nice fly MikeInChile! Is it about 2 1/2" (6.35 cm) long?

Post 06 Jun 2020, 21:52 • #5 
Guide
Great tie, Mike. Your version looks much better than the sparse mini sex dungeon produced by MFC.

I fish lots of articulated streamers for trout and bass, but 4 and 5 weight rods are a bit too light for my taste. My preferred rods for streamer fishing are the Epic 686, Steffen 6/7, and Steffen 7/8.

Galloup’s sex dungeon is an excellent pattern, but due to the combination of heavy lead eyes and bulky materials, it falls into the category of casting a wet sock, even with an 8 weight. The Belgian cast is key for casting these wet sock streamers.

The mini version of Lynch’s Drunk and Disorderly is one of my favorites for trout and bass. The regular version is about 6.5”, and the mini is around 4.5” - I’ve considered tying a slightly smaller version at 3.5”, but haven’t gotten around to buying the materials yet.

In addition to your point about downsizing flies for easier casting on lighter rods, I often downsize streamers just to catch more fish, especially when it comes to trout. With a 6” streamer, I’m hunting the biggest, most dominant fish in the river. By downsizing to 3-4” streamer, I’m able to be more inclusive of fish that might have been spooked by a 6” fly.

Post 07 Jun 2020, 05:25 • #6 
Guide
Do you fish the weightless minis with a sink tip or full sink line? Do you use Kelley's fast strip. ambush provoking , retrieves or normal slower strip/pauses?

Thanks,
Heddonist

Post 07 Jun 2020, 06:49 • #7 
Global Moderator
Good strategy, Mike. Another would be to get yourself a fly-tying book published before 1965 or so. There are dozens and dozens of patterns that are tied to fish well and cast well with the appearance of bulk and pulsing motion, but with sparse use of materials, ribbing and hook type designed for easy casting and quick penetration. They imitate a similar range of food types as the bulked up mops that look good in a vice, but they look more alive when wet, and they fish far better.

Post 07 Jun 2020, 11:50 • #8 
Sport
Yes, About that length. Some turn out a little longer and some a little shorter- depending what combination of hooks I use (style and size). Cheers!

jhuskey wrote:
Really nice fly MikeInChile! Is it about 2 1/2" (6.35 cm) long?

Post 07 Jun 2020, 12:06 • #9 
Sport
Thanks! Yes, when I use a little more material than the original I'm keeping in mind that these tyers that created the patter had a method to their madness. Like the classic Clouser minnow sometimes they fish best when tied super sparse. The translucency mimics the reflective nature of your typical baitfish reflecting the color tones of its surroundings. Again, when I beef them up a bit I'm aware that I loose that translucency but I'm pushing a little more water and trying to get the fish to appeal to a chunkier meal. It's fun sometime to keep fishing a fly as it steadily looses its mass after a few fish chomp on it... getting sparser and sparser...

As a rod builder of over 20 years and ex-guide (Alaska to Patagonia and in-between) I've built up quite a collection of rods to choose from when it comes to throwing any size streamers. I'm on a mission lately to use more glass in an effort to get the ball rolling down here in Chile. It's a small market here but I think the percentage of glass rod users should be more that what it is. I posted in the Fishing With Fiberglass section my 8wt McFarland that I have used for fresh and salt. I also posted in the Rod Photos section photos of my Epic 686-3 which has been so fun to fish.... lots of species on that one!

I do look for lunkers with my bigger streamers too but it's not always a fun... I mean, until I hook one! A cool trick I've added to my minis is sliding an orange 6 or 8mm bead on the leader before tying on the fly. It turns these into egg sucking leaches! It's so cool to see in the water, and I do that with almost any color of mini dungeon...olive, tan, brown, black...

I don't recall what the Belgian cast is. Maybe I should look it up as I am part Belgian! hahaha,

Thanks for the comments! Cheers.

- M

El Duderino wrote:
Great tie, Mike. Your version looks much better than the sparse mini sex dungeon produced by MFC.

I fish lots of articulated streamers for trout and bass, but 4 and 5 weight rods are a bit too light for my taste. My preferred rods for streamer fishing are the Epic 686, Steffen 6/7, and Steffen 7/8.

Galloup’s sex dungeon is an excellent pattern, but due to the combination of heavy lead eyes and bulky materials, it falls into the category of casting a wet sock, even with an 8 weight. The Belgian cast is key for casting these wet sock streamers.

The mini version of Lynch’s Drunk and Disorderly is one of my favorites for trout and bass. The regular version is about 6.5”, and the mini is around 4.5” - I’ve considered tying a slightly smaller version at 3.5”, but haven’t gotten around to buying the materials yet.

In addition to your point about downsizing flies for easier casting on lighter rods, I often downsize streamers just to catch more fish, especially when it comes to trout. With a 6” streamer, I’m hunting the biggest, most dominant fish in the river. By downsizing to 3-4” streamer, I’m able to be more inclusive of fish that might have been spooked by a 6” fly.

Post 07 Jun 2020, 12:26 • #10 
Sport
The retrieve and the line type is all about where I'm fishing and what presentation I'm trying to accomplish. I love running shallow streamers parallel to the shoreline for spring and early summer largemouth bass (North America fishing), but down here in Chile we use a lot of sink tips. I'm lucky to also have a wallet full of OPST tips of different densities and lengths. We fish submerged weed beds in lakes near the shoreline and reeds, and we fish a variety of different structure in rivers here. About the retrieve I do use Kelly's fast strip when the water warms up and the sun isn't so bright. Of course we mix it up until something works but again we have a lot of different water here. Oh, and some lakes we have to go DEEP... like 20-30 feet with 250 - 300 grain lines... retrieve slow but intermittent sharp strips.
Thanks for chatting!
-M

Heddonist wrote:
Do you fish the weightless minis with a sink tip or full sink line? Do you use Kelley's fast strip. ambush provoking , retrieves or normal slower strip/pauses?

Thanks,
Heddonist

Post 07 Jun 2020, 14:46 • #11 
Sport
Thanks for the suggestion. Could you share some of those patterns (fotos) if you happen to have a few? I'm afraid getting a hold of a book like that would not be as easy as it sounds from down here. Plus, I don't know what specific patterns you have in mind.
Cheers!
- M
whrlpool wrote:
Good strategy, Mike. Another would be to get yourself a fly-tying book published before 1965 or so. There are dozens and dozens of patterns that are tied to fish well and cast well with the appearance of bulk and pulsing motion, but with sparse use of materials, ribbing and hook type designed for easy casting and quick penetration. They imitate a similar range of food types as the bulked up mops that look good in a vice, but they look more alive when wet, and they fish far better.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 12:21 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking fly!

damn, I hate doing deer stuff...mainly because I suck at it. I usually get the same action with a tapered bucktail head on the front shank (or, if I want more bulk, I'll use a dubbed head). Always articulated to get that walk the dog action I'm after.

I've always admired the folks who are adept at spinning deer hair heads.

My primary big trout/smallmouth streamer rod is my BAG 7wt. It'll throw anything up to 6" unweighted streamers easily (I could probably go up to 8" with the right line). Most of my trout streamers are less than 3" though, so it works great. If I have to throw bigger, I'll just grab my Bandit.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 21:35 • #13 
Sport
THANKS!
It took me a while to get my deer hair tying to where it was fishable, hahahah. I would definitely give it a try again. Just this time...set yourself up for success with some good strong tying thread, good quality deer hair, good quality bobbin and then put on a few tying videos... they've come a long way in the past 5 - 10 . 15 years!
Good luck!
- Mike
clarkman23 wrote:
Nice looking fly!

damn, I hate doing deer stuff...mainly because I suck at it. I usually get the same action with a tapered bucktail head on the front shank (or, if I want more bulk, I'll use a dubbed head). Always articulated to get that walk the dog action I'm after.

I've always admired the folks who are adept at spinning deer hair heads.

My primary big trout/smallmouth streamer rod is my BAG 7wt. It'll throw anything up to 6" unweighted streamers easily (I could probably go up to 8" with the right line). Most of my trout streamers are less than 3" though, so it works great. If I have to throw bigger, I'll just grab my Bandit.

Post 12 Jun 2020, 00:11 • #14 
Guide

I fish articulated streamers quite often. But with a single hook up front
when fishing bass. A single hook at the back when trout fishing. Double hooks are a pain and too hard on fish.

Using a sink-tip line has some advantages over a heavily weighted fly Lighter flies are much easier to cast with less risk of damaging your fly rod. Of course I cast weighted flies, just prefer lighter flies on floating line and sinking line depending on conditions.

Long shank hook streamers are an alternative that’s easy to cast and sink quickly (I add beads to some for weight).
Versions of a Zoo Cougar are my favorite, surface flies when dressed with Floatent

Post 19 Jun 2020, 18:31 • #15 
Sport
Cool flies!
Yes, those are good strategies. You just gave me an idea...
OPST has a video on tying a trout "mini intruder" fly, though I hadn't thought about tying it on an extra long shank hook- old school. I have a few but I never thought I would use them.
Anyway, thanks for sharing these!
Cheers.
- Mike
Swedish_Fish218 wrote:

I fish articulated streamers quite often. But with a single hook up front
when fishing bass. A single hook at the back when trout fishing. Double hooks are a pain and too hard on fish.

Using a sink-tip line has some advantages over a heavily weighted fly Lighter flies are much easier to cast with less risk of damaging your fly rod. Of course I cast weighted flies, just prefer lighter flies on floating line and sinking line depending on conditions.

Long shank hook streamers are an alternative that’s easy to cast and sink quickly (I add beads to some for weight).
Versions of a Zoo Cougar are my favorite, surface flies when dressed with Floatent

Post 21 Jun 2020, 12:15 • #16 
Master Guide
Mike, Great looking streamer and wonderful photographs of your local water.

New Topic Add Reply