It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:28

New Topic Add Reply
9x long and so much fun
Post 06 May 2020, 10:15 • #1 
Guide
Always a contrarian, I’ve really enjoyed the limitless options in fly tying. Using the fundamental elements in design leaves a lot of space for creativity.
Long shank classic flies have a definite appeal.
And are surprisingly effective.

Post 06 May 2020, 10:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet! Sleek, sparse streamers on long-shank hooks are a big favorite in landlocked salmon waters. They cast and swim beautifully, get to a given depth more quickly, and minimize fouling of the hook with excessively long fibers when pulsed in a retrieve. The trick, as nicely illustrated, is that no winging or even tailing material needs to extend beyond the bend of the hook. The one downside, the shank length seems to give leverage to a big fish to work the hook or bend the shank. Show a Barnes Special on a long shanked hook to a big brown trout and you will see what I mean. The fly may come back stove up, but the fish that comes with it will be worth it.

They are underused in other applications, but as shown, old slabsides can't resist, and bass are partial as well, unless a pike or pickerel gets there first.

Post 06 May 2020, 14:45 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That is cool ,inspiring me to get unstuck on my Rangeley fly pursuits.I just never knew if they would be very practical in the upper midwest.It is minner season here too.Water is still cold for May.

Post 10 May 2020, 00:27 • #4 
Guide
Appreciate the comments very much. I’ve enjoyed tying variations of some classics; and absolutely agree that sparse and stopping short of the bend in the hook is the way to go.
One pattern though I make and exception (pictured) I don’t run into too many issues with the feathers fouling. The counter weight really works well too.

Post 10 May 2020, 09:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. Seems like an exception, but maybe not ! Very fun to see the same design principle: that materials are used, not for how they look in the vice but for how they make the fly look and behave in the water. That's why I noted your use of "counterbalance" in describing that component of the fly. When metallic ribbing/foil/tinsel and so on were used more than their synthetic counterparts, those extra wraps at the tag end of the fly served a similar purpose. And ribbing, in addition to adding durability, affected not just weight, but weight distribution. A bead, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for showing.

Post 18 May 2020, 23:30 • #6 
Guide

Felt compelled to add one more that I use for trout and on flat water for panfish, bass and pike.

It was a tying “mistake” that elevated the trailing hackle tips, tied them in a bit too close to the bead (up front), but the movement and profile in the water is really nice; When paused they snap back upright.

Post 24 May 2020, 07:45 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Do you have any problems with fish throwing the hook? I stopped fishing 4X hooks because I kept loosing trout with that long shank. I rarely fish 3X for the same reason.

I have found that hookups have been much more secure ever since.

Post 24 May 2020, 09:23 • #8 
Guide
I’ve read that a lot, but Whirlpool nailed it perhaps - big fish have leverage. I’ve not had issues loosing trout, but have caught none over 20” on these 9x hooks.
Largemouth bass, some fairly big, have not been an issue. Surprisingly.
If I ever connect with a large pike that does not just swim off after sheering the line I’ll update!
Admittedly my go-to hooks tend to be much shorter. If it’s in the Firehole line up of hooks I’ll tie and fish it. Larger eyes and barbless out of the box.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 13:56 • #9 
Guide
You could tie those same flys on a really long shank and use an intruder style set up. i.e. a looped wire and a trailer hook. you'd have the best of both features that way. I've tied a few smallmouth intruders this way and the hook ups are really solid.

Those are really cool; nice work, thanks for sharing.

Post 18 Jun 2020, 06:17 • #10 
Guide
Great suggestion regarding the use of shanks for this style of fly.

Post 26 Jun 2020, 21:30 • #11 
Guide

Another example....

Post 28 Jun 2020, 12:31 • #12 
Sport
Wow Swedish, that pic in post #6 is stunning. Can I steal it for my avatar?

Post 28 Jun 2020, 15:35 • #13 
Guide
Guitarfish wrote:
Wow Swedish, that pic in post #6 is stunning. Can I steal it for my avatar?

Absolutely! Appreciate the kind words.

Post 01 Jul 2020, 16:20 • #14 
Sport
Thanks, it took my brain awhile but I got there. Too small as an avatar to see how beautiful it is, but I'm keeping it anyway.

Post 01 Jul 2020, 16:31 • #15 
Administrator
Guitarfish wrote:
Too small as an avatar to see how beautiful it is, but I'm keeping it anyway.

Shoot another photo of the fly against a light gray background. That should give the effect you want.

Tom

Post 01 Jul 2020, 18:23 • #16 
Sport
Swedish was kind enough to let me borrow it. It's the pic in post #6 above.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 20:35 • #17 
Guide
That fly is a beat up, yet still fished, mess now. If I get another like it tied I’ll take a picture with a lighter solid color background.

Post 04 Aug 2020, 18:43 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Swedish_Fish218 wrote:
Felt compelled to add one more that I use for trout and on flat water for panfish, bass and pike.
But you only used 3 kinds of pheasant feather. ;-)

New Topic Add Reply