It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:55

New Topic Add Reply
Wing cases?
Post 29 Mar 2020, 19:49 • #1 
Guide
Over the past few years I’ve fished nymphs without wing cases.
This is in streams only and I’ve not done to bad so l figure a wing case may not be a triggering characteristic.

What’s your thoughts?

Michael

Re: Wing cases?
Post 29 Mar 2020, 19:52 • #2 
Guide
Always used to tie nymphs with wing cases in the early days but rarely bother nowadays except on flashbacks.

Post 30 Mar 2020, 07:48 • #3 
Sport
I still tie nymphs with wing cases.....but concede it is probably only because *I* and not the fish like the look. A Walt's Worm (a hook fulla hare's mask...that's it) works great on very fussy limestone browns so.....sort of puts the lie to the wing case. Circumstances vary of course.

One place I like a wing case is on my floating nymphs. I use either foam or poly yarn, possibly deerhair depending on what I am trying to imitate.....when I dress thte case and it sits in the film.....very effective. Bordering on emergers here but it looks like a nymph so.......

Interestingly, those "floating nymph" patterns work really well near the bottom too. I tie them unweighted of course and pinch on a shot when conditions warrant it... I have wondered if the bouyant wing case gives the fly some "bounce" or action when plumbing the depths.

Apparently I had more to say about wing cases than I anticipated. Hope it serves in some way.

Post 30 Mar 2020, 12:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I think it depends on the material used, and not relative to how the fly looks in the vise, but how it affects the form, light/flash, motion or lack of it, and the attitude of the fly (tail up, tail down, hanging, and so on), and flutter or bounce as mentioned above. I think it's fun to experiment with--one pattern, for instance, tied identically except for the style and material used. For your partner, find some old duffer with too little dexterity anymore to tie fussy flies, to fish with a comparable pattern minus the wing case. I wouldn't miss the wing case, but it wouldn't surprise me if one particular tie that included a case did give an edge under certain conditions. Assuming similar presentations, then you could figure out how that material added to the right impression.

Post 30 Mar 2020, 12:46 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I've tied a lot of nymphs "in the round" and caught some fish on them, but the same question can be asked about shellbacks on scud/sowbug patterns or legs on nymphs and even tails on nymphs; trout are instinctive opportunists that sample sticks and stones and moss in the event there might be a meal there, cased caddis or periwinkle. Details sometimes make more difference than at other times, fibers that move add life like appearance and have that soft resistance to biting than might indicate food, a wing case on a soft fluffy body might have a bit of crunch that the fish would hold onto, if used to eating insects with tough wing cases.
I don't believe a wing case ever makes a pattern less attractive, but I don't believe they always necessary either.

Post 30 Mar 2020, 14:07 • #6 
Master Guide
I don’t think a wing case really matters. My most productive nymphs in moving and still water are the Birds Nest and a zebra midge. No wing cases on these patterns

Post 31 Mar 2020, 00:49 • #7 
Guide
Interesting replies thanks.
I can see the bonus a foam wing case makes on a floating nymph.

New Topic Add Reply