It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:58

New Topic Add Reply
Dreaming of Spring
Post 23 Jan 2020, 11:16 • #1 
Guide
Spring should be here shortly on the edge of the Hill Country here in Texas and been thinking of big blue gill and rios. With those fish in mind I sat down at the bench and tied up some damsels with a furled body and a few jumbo johns. Used to tie a mess of jumbo johns for fishing the Arkansas River in Colorado in pocket water and eddies during runoff and used to some effect on big Rios and redbreasts here last summer hopefully they work here during high water too. Damsels are probably more wishful thinking as I don't think they will be out until at least May. The style I did was effective on the bigger lakes in Colorado as well as my little brookie ponds on the side of Pikes Peak and Sheep Mountain.

Re: Dreaming of Spring
Post 23 Jan 2020, 11:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
very nice,what is the tail material in the first pic?I dont do well om standard nymph stuff on panfish in my area,Deep clear water they dont fool easily.Always stumped me as we have swarms of damsels and dragons as well as some stone flies and mayflies on certain BOWs.

Post 23 Jan 2020, 12:27 • #3 
Guide
Those are furled tails I make. I saw a tying video on the jeezus lizard bass fly which has a long fat furled tail and I did a few of those flies for big browns in the Dream Stream that were eating big crawfish. Then I got to thinking about the applications furling a tail could have. On the ones pictured I also add a very, very scant amount of thickened Sally Hansen's to the thread before furling them up so they will have some rigidness to make that curl. I have used that style of furled body on flies as small as #24 BWOs and #20 Sulphur duns.

Creek panfish here especially the Rio Grande cichlids like nymphs as do the redbreasts. Water is uber clear on many of these creeks I have been fishing and light tippet the key. I even dropped as low as 4x fluoro a couple of times last year. Which is kind of funny considering in Colorado pitching big nymphs in the spring I used 3x or bigger.

Post 23 Jan 2020, 20:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice flies!

Post 25 Jan 2020, 00:02 • #5 
Guide
Nice! Harry Murray speaks of how aggressive smallmouth feed on damsel adults in summer.

I’ve been tying damsel nymphs after reading an article about how abundant a food source they are for warm water species. All those years ago, catching loads of crappie on tiny jigs, thinking I was imitating minnows when in reality, a great deal of their diet was damsel fly nymphs.

Post 25 Jan 2020, 09:54 • #6 
Guide
I remember many days watching smallies of all sizes leaping after damsels along the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers in Virginia as a kid. The spotted bass on a creek I fish here near Belton do about the same. I never fished a dedicated damsel pattern before living in Colorado. Most often when they were rising to damsels when I was younger I went to the little bluegill poppers you could buy in the round dial up containers (like the kind you get split shot in) from Kmart or similar places or the cards of Bett's poppers or if I had a full dollar to spend on one fly a spongey spider.

The nymphs are definitely a big time food source for all kinds of warm water species. I think that is why without realizing it at the time, olive wooly bugger and wooly worms were so effective. Now I tie with that in mind which reminds me that I should tie up some wooly worms.

Post 25 Jan 2020, 11:57 • #7 
Guide
I also found big stimulators worked well for damsels and dragon flies too. The ones I tied today are on a #8 as they are the biggest hooks I have on hand with hackle to match but have gone as high as #2. On a stimi hook because of the slight hook gap I go with a much smaller hackle as the body material pushes it out to meet what is required to float it correctly. I tie them with and without rubber legs and prefer round rubber.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 18:49 • #8 
Guide
I haven’t fished stimulators in warm water but these above look like great patterns to imitate adult damselflies.

Tim Flagler has what looks like an excellent damselfly nymph pattern made with ostrich herl. I’m looking forward to trying this out in coming weeks:

https://youtu.be/IGW8HgDRQnw

Post 27 Jan 2020, 09:46 • #9 
Guide
That pattern looks good simple to tie and low material count.

Post 27 Jan 2020, 19:18 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
More nice ties bones .I may have to try those,a couple ponds i fish have the shells of dragon nymphs all over the shore grasses every spring.These are big bugs and i have had some success with Skips dragon.S/W i have tried several marabou type nymphs similar to the one you linked.Top water flies seem to work best and ugly as they are squirmy wormy type flies with a tung bead are the most productive nymphs for sunfish.Crappies i catch mostly on cat whisker type streamers and marabou clousers.I also have lead tape covered in mylar tubing ,zonker style but so the hook rides up .with a bucktail wing and molded eyes.I can throw them into shoreline trees and brush and they are pretty snag resistant.I let them flutter then hard strip.Fishes like a tiny spoon.Have caught dozens of spring crappie on that one.

Post 28 Jan 2020, 08:18 • #11 
Guide
I have some spoons tied up but they are on a #2 mustad 34007. I imagine they will do well on the whitebass but would like to ties some up in #6 or #8 for crappie and creek bass. The little creek I fish a bunch has spotted bass and either tiny or big largemouth there seems to be a large gap in age classes. Still need to do some more of those damsels but in a parachute style. I actually prefer the parachute as I can see the post/wing better.

Post 01 Feb 2020, 15:05 • #12 
Guide
You’ve piqued my interest in tying some damselfly patterns. Here’s some rough prototypes of adult damsels using poly floss (post material), colored with Sharpie colors, and then twisted and hardened with Solarez bone dry. Hook is Firehole 320 in size 10.

Post 02 Feb 2020, 06:42 • #13 
Guide
Those look good bet the bass and 'gills love em.

Post 10 Feb 2020, 02:13 • #14 
Master Guide
There are red Damselfies in Texas? What fresh Hell is this?! :lol
Nice ties!

Post 10 Feb 2020, 05:06 • #15 
Master Guide
Spring is springing here on the coast. The water oaks are getting leaves, live oaks are shedding theirs. LMB are shallowing up. Get those good looking ties ready! Spring is here and moving north.

New Topic Add Reply