It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Jan 2020, 04:30 • #1 
Master Guide
Here's a white bass fly I'm gonna use Monday. Enjoy

Post 18 Jan 2020, 08:03 • #2 
Piscator
for 40 years now, Joe Robinson, Billy Trimble, and I have agreed on at least two things about white bass.
If you want to catch white bass, fish a sinking line, and bead-chain flies tied with short tails.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 09:28 • #3 
Guide
Pretty cool fly hadn't thought about putting them on jig hook. I have tied up a mess of them on a #8 all purpose hook with a little less flash. I find a bunch of flash can put them off if the water is very clear; however if the water is stained a little or has that good winter time "green" look to it they prefer the flash.

Been thinking a lot about the white bass runs lately. They have my put in spot on the Lampasas fenced off now so I have no idea where to go anymore. Then the website for Mother Neff state park says they don't allow fishing anymore because of damage caused by high water events the past few years so my spot on the Leon is gone too. Considering the San Gabriel but only fished there once years and years ago and don't remember it very well the same goes for Colorado Bend.

Wish I had a sinking line or at least an intermediate may have to see if Bass Pro has a cheapy to pick up. Hadn't considered anything but a floater as most of the creeks I had been fishing were/are very shallow, five to six foot at the deepest and low in current flow.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 09:40 • #4 
Master Guide
bones72 wrote:
Pretty cool fly hadn't thought about putting them on jig hook. I have tied up a mess of them on a #8 all purpose hook with a little less flash. I find a bunch of flash can put them off if the water is very clear; however if the water is stained a little or has that good winter time "green" look to it they prefer the flash.

Been thinking a lot about the white bass runs lately. They have my put in spot on the Lampasas fenced off now so I have no idea where to go anymore. Then the website for Mother Neff state park says they don't allow fishing anymore because of damage caused by high water events the past few years so my spot on the Leon is gone too. Considering the San Gabriel but only fished there once years and years ago and don't remember it very well the same goes for Colorado Bend.

Wish I had a sinking line or at least an intermediate may have to see if Bass Pro has a cheapy to pick up. Hadn't considered anything but a floater as most of the creeks I had been fishing were/are very shallow, five to six foot at the deepest and low in current flow.

You can use floating line, white bass can be picky about color and size, I'm tying these on #8, clouser types on #10 and #6. I'm also tying some #12 white soft hackle. They can hit dries as well, I've been going after them since the 90s.

Post 18 Jan 2020, 10:33 • #5 
Guide
Been doing it since the 90s too but took a 10 year hiatus while I was in Colorado. Use to take them on #2 crease flies on Lake Belton when the shad were spawning also caught em up the Lampasas on little Bett's poppers.

New Topic Add Reply