It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:55

New Topic Add Reply
Sandhill Crane Feathers
Post 11 Jan 2020, 14:28 • #1 
Master Guide
Are there any on that bird you find useful for tying? Daughter is going on a hunt and I don’t want to pass up the opportunity to get some of the feathers providing there’s something good on that bird. I’m going to look over anything she might get just in case something looks good to me.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 15:12 • #2 
Master Guide
I’ve come to understand that Sandhill Crane Feathers are on the no-no list so disregard the previous inquiry.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 15:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
They have a hunting season for them in Tx and 15 other states, just like ducks the feathers of legally harvested birds should be legal. Hard to kill and eat a bird without taking possession of its feathers. They are listed, so are mallards and geese.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 16:05 • #4 
Piscator
of course any bird you can legally harvest, you can use its feathers for flies - you may not be able to sell the feathers or flies.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 16:06 • #5 
Master Guide
I called the state and they did confirm I can use the feathers for personal use like fly tying.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 16:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
What do they taste like (the birds, not the feathers)?

Post 11 Jan 2020, 17:04 • #7 
Master Guide
They call them “the ribeye of the sky” and are very good and tender, lean beef like. My dad likes them more than any other dark meat wild fowl.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 22:11 • #8 
Guide
Karstopo is right . They are really good .

Post 12 Jan 2020, 17:59 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If they're anything remotely close to ribeye....count me in! ha!

Post 12 Jan 2020, 20:57 • #10 
Guide
Oh they are tasty a little teriyaki marinade and on the grill medium rare served with some bacon wrapped asparagus paired with an ice cold PBR it just don't get no better. Gonna have to go for them next year been a long while since I have shot one.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 21:44 • #11 
Master Guide
They got their cranes. Somehow, the whole bring home some feathers for me message got lost in translation. I should have Snapchat it to my daughter then I’d probably have some. I didn’t get any of the meat either.

As a consolation prize, I did get a big bunch of drake gadwall flank and a few drake blue wing teal feathers from their morning hunt.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 07:34 • #12 
Guide
Wigeon flank is really good for those flies too it kinda pinkish though not very well marked. In all my years duck hunting I never shot a drake bluewing in full plumage always got them in the early season I bet that makes some good materials.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 09:08 • #13 
Master Guide

I might have gotten the teal wrong. There were definitely some blue winged teal, very small with blue wing bars, but I think the one drake teal was a green winged teal. There was a pile of ducks and I was sorting through them, all the feathers went into one zip bag.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 09:24 • #14 
Guide
A bunch of smallish ducks have a blue speculum (wing bar); blue winged teal of course but also one of the most prevalent here in Texas the northern shoveler aka the grinning mallard. Shoveler hens are almost impossible to distinguish between a blue wing unless you look at the bill.
I like the green wing teal drakes as their flank is very similar to wood duck flank and makes awesome split wings on smallish traditional catskill style flies like a ginger quill or quill gordons tied below a #14. I think for what you have been tying the gadwall and pintail flank would be the best especially pintail. Pintail also eat good too as their tiny little bills are designed more for grains much like wigeon. I don't care for the gadwall on the eating side because they will take a fair amount of animal matter and even badger diving ducks for whatever they dredge off the bottom.

I have a mess of duck feathers if you ever run out.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 09:38 • #15 
Master Guide
No smileymores, grinning mallards. Years ago, I duck hunted myself and remember dad telling me “don’t shoot” when a spoonbill cupped it’s wings over the decoys. Hard to miss those giant bills and they seemed especially stupid, plus were considered inedible by my dad. I don’t like gadwall to eat either. My wife doesn’t like duck, period. She may have never had a wood duck or pintail or some choice type.

These hunter friends of my daughter get on the good ducks like pintail depending on where they set up, but I never get any of the feathers. One of the boys has access to some good private water, although these gadwall and teal were public water ducks. My daughter has the attention span of a flea so I’m lucky if I get to look at any of the ducks.

Post 02 Feb 2020, 00:28 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Don't know how they taste, but they sure like the taste of peanuts.

New Topic Add Reply