It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:43

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Jan 2020, 20:07 • #1 
Sport
I'm new to the world of trying flies, been mooching them from Buddies for too long.

What kind of glue is the one most common on your bench?

I'm going to start out tying some hoppers, some with sponge but would still like to get a glue I can use for most of my trying needs.

Thanks in advance

Post 10 Jan 2020, 20:45 • #2 
Guide
Zap-A-Gap works well for a lot of applications.

tt

Post 10 Jan 2020, 23:10 • #3 
Master Guide
It's best to get stuff at your tying level learn to use a a half hitch knot tool and head cement. Theres no point on learning how to use glues if you aren't ready. But I use crazy glue, head cement and uv resin. You can get different types of adhesives, you just need to learn how to use them.

Post 10 Jan 2020, 23:32 • #4 
Guide
I like Gorilla Brand superglue gel for foam flies. I find the gel is much easier to control than the liquid superglue. I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish for head cement. It's inexpensive and easy to find in most grocery and drug stores. Mike

Post 11 Jan 2020, 00:57 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Tying a typical fly, wet dry, nymph or streamer, I use no glue at all.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 04:37 • #6 
Master Guide
I generally omit the glue even on patterns where the video or SBS instructional calls for glue. For example, a pattern with a dumbbell or bead chain I don’t add glue to the securing wraps. Using glue to secure various materials to the hook shank seems to me unnecessary and redundant, the thread wraps have been sufficient in my experience to secure the material to the hook. Glue on the hook shank on top or soaked into the thread wraps doesn’t, at least in my experience, make a fly last any longer. Fish tear through feathers and fibers and that happens glue or no glue, with the exception of a little something to protect the finishing thread wraps near the hook eye and that’s not always necessary depending on the fish.

But, if I want to put on a three dimensional eye on a streamer I’ve got to use glue and I like the gorilla super glue gel for that. To protect thread wraps from sharp-toothed fish, I like thin UV cure like Loon or Solarez. I usually carry some UV cure along with me on an outing and add a tiny speck to any thread wraps starting to work loose by the fish. Some patterns might call for a shell or particular head as part of the look and I like UV cure for that. Dealing with epoxy, the mixing of the resins, the drying time, and the mess, is a royal pain and a waste of time in my experience. UV light curing adhesives are light years ahead of epoxy, IMO, for patterns where an adhesive makes up part of the look of the pattern.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 09:37 • #7 
Master Guide
Sally Hansen's Hard-As-Nails, UV-cure resin, cheap super glue, Gorilla brand super glue.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:15 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
If I want adhesive, the LocTite or Dollar Tree CA works as well as any superglue and is readily available in small tubes that might get used before going bad, Shoe Goo, Barge Cement, three differing versions of Arleene's fabric adhesives, Liquid Nails, silicone caulk, Pliobond, 3M spray adhesive for foam, Rubber Cement, and perhaps others have all been useful for the type things that Karstopo mentioned- 3d eyes, shell backs, cork bodies, stiffening feathers, etc. Most are in the shop but not necessarily for fly tying.
For securing heads, if not whip finishing, I think clear lacquer (or in a small package, head cement=same thing) is better than nail polish but any cheap nail polish works almost as well. Head cement and nail polish usually need a bit of thinning so that it penetrates the thread instantly.
The Sally Hansen Hard as Nails I got is nearer a paint than an adhesive?

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:38 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
MikeI wrote:
I like Gorilla Brand superglue gel for foam flies. I find the gel is much easier to control than the liquid superglue. I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish for head cement. It's inexpensive and easy to find in most grocery and drug stores. Mike

Same here but but i am going to try Bob Smith Industries Products as recommended by a few people as drying clear and very good for foam.The gorrilla glue turns to crap halfway thru a bottle.I buy dollar store nail polish ,well it's a dollar and they have a fast drying thinner type yat comes in handy.Also a big fan of Loon's water based head cement as it soaks into thread and dubbing with no fumes or hardening of fibers,Looks like you use nothing.Learn to tie those half hitches by hand,your future self will thank you.Very easy to learn.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 12:42 • #10 
Guide
Rudyc
Lots of good advice here.
I like others use uv resin, water based head cement ,ca glue and others.
We are spoiled for choice when it comes to adhesives and coatings.
You will no doubt learn from your own experience what works best for you.

Also just as important as what to use is learning how to apply it. For example on many flies l will wet the thread with water based head cement prior to whip finishing the head. I do this more on smaller flies. It works for me.

Luckily there are no rules so you can be creative.

Michael

Post 11 Jan 2020, 13:02 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
For most of my tying i use the Loon water based.Super glue is for securing dumbell eyes with minimal thread and for Popper heads which Can be refeathered etc .A drop CA glue here and there really helps with foam bodied bugs to keep them in place.I use less and less solvent based products as the fumes really get to me these days.Almost 40 years breathing in all sorts of toxic crap on jobsites as well as being a smoker on and off my lungs are not what they used to be.I do believe these solvents repel fish.I am not a hypocrite in believing using only natural products on our flies while everything we use from our rods shoes,waders plastic boats fly lines cars to get there etc are 1000s of times worse on the environment than a piece of foam on a fly.I can catch tremendously more fish on live bait if i choose.That is an art form in itself.I would try th loon with it's pinpoint tip and no fumes and almost water like consistency is cool stuff,We all tie different stuff for a wide variety of locals.I learn something new every time i visit this forum.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 13:26 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
For most applications, I use the cheapest clear coat I can find (i.e. Sally Hansen's equivalent...currently have L.A. Colors since it was on sale for $0.59) but for eyes I like Loctite super glue gel. If I'm building a hard head, then it'll be something like the Loon UV stuff (I don't do this often though). Because I fish for some pretty toothy critters, I use the clear coat on just about every major step to be absolutely certain that things are locked in. I like my 1 hour flies to last more than a fish or two. Part of it is how the materials are tied in and the other part is throwing some glue in there every major step.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 18:52 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I can see that C MAN.You use 50 flies worth of materials in 1 fly.I have a way of toughing up those saddles by dragging them thru silicone caulk and immediatly squeegeeing the excess off,they retain their shape and color and becoming rubberized and tough as an inner tube.Your ties are awesome and the results prove they work.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 19:13 • #14 
Piscator
Zap when I need super glue.
Z-poxy for salty head cement, like coating over doll eyes.
In particular, if you're tying with kevlar thread, simple hackle tie-ins need Zap because the kevlar doesn't have any friction.
Can't think of any glue I use in fresh water flies. Size 18 are too small to mess with head cement, and quit using it on cats whiskers years ago.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 11 Jan 2020, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 19:14 • #15 
Master Guide
I buy whatever clear nail polish I can get that also has a container of same- brand thinner in the store display rack. I thin it right away so it wicks into the thread rather than forming a coating.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 19:42 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
@Trev: what do you use to thin Sally Hansens?

my bottle is getting old, and seems to be a bit thicker than when I first bought it.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 20:46 • #17 
Sport
One quick tip for using Sally Hansen's or any nail polish that comes with a brush applicator.
Use a pair of pliers to pull the brush out of the end of the applicator. Then using pliers (ask me how i know) push a small sewing needle into the end where the brush used to be, eye of the needle in, pointy end out. Push it in until you can screw the cap back on the bottle. You get much better control of where the head cement goes this way. And if needed you can pick up a pretty decent drop size for big heads.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 21:16 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I use a bunch of glues and head cements already mentioned. For regular head cement, I still have a half bottle of Cliffs thick head cement, and a bottle of thinner to keep consistency where I like it. I will miss it when it is gone.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 23:24 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Corlay, I haven't had the SHHAN very long and haven't thinned it yet, I don't like it as a head cement and always use the $brand, I have used the SH as paint for eyes and to cover jig heads. That said, the solvents in SHHAN are listed as Ethyl Acetate, N-butyl Acetate, N-butyl Alcohol, and Isopropyl Alcohol; those are the best solvents to thin it with because you are just replacing the stuff that evaporated with the same stuff.
Although I have always used lacquer thinner (a combination of hot solvents) or acetone because the in old days that's what was in nail polish and because it's always in the shed; it is recommended that When looking for nail polish thinner look for ingredients such as ethyl acetate, butyl acetate.
At some point in time they switched to solvents that have lower evaporative rates and are probably safer for the folks doing nails in beauty shops all day long. Nowadays the most common solvents in nail polish are ethyl acetate and butyl acetate and one or more of the alcohols
A thinner highly recommended to me is "Beauty Secrets Nail Polish Thinner", the house brand at Sally Beauty Shop, ingredients; Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, and Heptane.
Another is "Nail Tek Extend" thinner it has Butyl Acetate, Toluenesulfonamide formaldehyde resin, Heptane, and Ethyl Acetate listed.
"ORLY Nail Polish Thinner" is Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate -Sally Beauty
I believe some cosmetic companies market basically what we need as "Nail Polish Remover" Check the ingredients list. I believe that almost all solvent based "Head Cements" are rebadged nail polish, so the same ethyl acetate/butyl acetate thinner works for them as well.

fwiw I Copied this from another forum years ago:

"The following is a list of some of the cements commonly used by fly tiers and the solvents that can be used to reconstitute or thin them.

• Weldwood Contact Cement and Pliobond – toluene or acetone (a mixture of the two works well).
• Vinyl cement – methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)
• Flexament – xylene, toluene, or lacquer thinner
• Goop – xylene, toluene, or lacquer thinner (= Flexament)
• Head cement – acetone, MEK, or lacquer thinner
• Two-part epoxies – any alcohol such as denatured or rubbing.
Note: thinning epoxies with alcohol does NOT extend working time!"

>Flexament substitute is one part Shoe Goo or Goop and three parts toluene. Thinner for a penetrating cement.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 08:18 • #20 
Master Guide
All ca uv and water based fabric cement. Aleene's Flexible Stretchable is the best so far.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 15:50 • #21 
Administrator
Fly tying glue; I use Krazy Glue in the brush applicator bottle. I really like the built-in brush and the consistency is just right. I use this glue for fly tying, line splices, and in the shop. I trim the applicator brush at an angle for more precise application (and then immediately clean the scissors with acetone). I always have acetone, paper towels, and Qtips handy, just in case.

If you can find it, the Zap-a-Gap brand glues are reputed to be more water resistant. I lose flies long before they fall apart, so I don't worry about the water resistance. When the Krazy Glue gets stringy, it is time for a new bottle. Don't bother thinning it - the old glue won't harden.

Head cement; the old, old school material is thinned spar varnish. The new, old school material is lacquer. I also use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails (I love those applicator bottles!). Personally, I avoid beauty supply thinners/cleaners because they often have fragrances. Buying thinner just to save an old bottle of nail polish is not cost effective. But sourcing a 1/4 ounce of thinner is a good reason to congregate with your fly tying friends every month or two.

Tom

Post 12 Jan 2020, 16:01 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
I use zap a gap, liquid fusion, or clear thinned lacquer.⁹

Post 12 Jan 2020, 16:19 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Nail polish is just so handy and cheap.I also tie jigs and you can get nail polish in so many colors.I have had the same quart of acetone forever,I keep a nail polish bottle full of acetone on my tying desk.I also paint paint bass popper heads with nail polish .Doesn't harm even foam heads.Dries fast and several coats can be applied in a day.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 17:23 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
I can see that C MAN.You use 50 flies worth of materials in 1 fly.I have a way of toughing up those saddles by dragging them thru silicone caulk and immediatly squeegeeing the excess off,they retain their shape and color and becoming rubberized and tough as an inner tube.Your ties are awesome and the results prove they work.

Thanks. You know, I've thought about doing something like that, but then it would kill the subtle action I'm often after. Plus, surprisingly, I don't have that many feathers get shredded. I'm not sure how because they are by far the most delicate part of the fly.

cheers!

Post 12 Jan 2020, 22:26 • #25 
Master Guide
RichardW wrote:
One quick tip for using Sally Hansen's or any nail polish that comes with a brush applicator.
Use a pair of pliers to pull the brush out of the end of the applicator. Then using pliers (ask me how i know) push a small sewing needle into the end where the brush used to be, eye of the needle in, pointy end out. Push it in until you can screw the cap back on the bottle. You get much better control of where the head cement goes this way. And if needed you can pick up a pretty decent drop size for big heads.

Gosh... sometimes I need to kick myself in the butt. I use Sally Hansens but don't like using the brush, so I always lift the cap/brush out of the bottle, then run my dubbing needle along it to get the right amount on the needle and use it to apply the stuff. All I need to do is what a much smarter guy like Richard figured out!

Thanks man... you just improved my life a tiny bit! And every little bit counts.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply