It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:08

New Topic Add Reply
Beaverhead Skater
Post 11 Dec 2019, 16:03 • #1 
Master Guide
Here's Al Troth's version of Edward Hewitt's Neversink Skater.

Al's was for night fishing on the Beaverhead River in Montana. The hackle diameter for this fly is approximately 2-1/2" inches. Tied on a #8 (I'm guessing) Atlantic Salmon Fly hook.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 12 Dec 2019, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Beaverhead Skater
Post 11 Dec 2019, 16:38 • #2 
Master Guide
...appears to be a hook and deer hair, with a bit of guinea fowl hackle up front.

Post 12 Dec 2019, 17:11 • #3 
Master Guide
How is this designed to sit in the water? will it end up shank perpendicular to the surface or does is orient differently?

Post 12 Dec 2019, 17:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'm assuming as a skater it does basically that.I watched an old clip of Lee Wulff fishing with Curt Gowdy "skating"big bushy flies across the surface for Atlantic salmon.Cool stuff.

Post 14 Dec 2019, 11:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Is he shining us, or what? Did Al ever describe in print, what he was trying to do with that pattern, and why did he use that combination of materials and a salmon hook?

Post 14 Dec 2019, 12:37 • #6 
Master Guide
I don't think Al ever did put it in print. I have one copy of his old catalog and this pattern wasn't there. This was meant to make a ripple wake in the dark, at night, casting across and dragging down. Actually that's just my assumption. Al didn't put anyone on.

I knew Al. A little. He knew my name. I lent him a boat once. For a month or two. An d I spent a weekend with him once, at his place, talking about fishing flies boats and cameras. He was a multi-talented guy. Humor may not have been a strong point. He was detail-oriented and liked to do everything gung ho as best he could. At all times.

At one of his tying seminars in Bozeman he told the story of a Japanese collector who sent a bunch of money and told him to charge him double for every fly, because he wanted Al to take extra care in order to do his best work.

Al said he just pulled the order out of his regular bins, because he never did tie at anything less than the "best he could."

Post 14 Dec 2019, 13:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you for clarifying what you know about his skater. With that heavy hook I am sure it cuts quite a wake; they must surely grow them big in the Beaverhead!

Alas, so much information is lost, sometimes I look at a fly pattern, and wonder what they were thinking. As a kid, I heard of night fishers, like Ted Janes, using Salmon dry flies to fish for those monster browns that come out to feed at night here in the east, but a wet fly salmon hook really throws me. It had to be one of his special patterns that he used in special circumstances - or at least I guess because he did not put it in his catalogue?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Post 14 Dec 2019, 14:55 • #8 
Master Guide
Al's garage had finished sheetrock walls with lots of neatly organized shelving. In summer the hunting gear was stowed there. In Winter the fishing stuff. Al tied in the basement but they did a lot in garage. They built nifty tree stands for archery hunters. Did they have a drop ladder? I can't remember.

That garage also had a large number of big color 8x10 prints of Al and Erik releasing big 24" inch or larger brown trout. There used to be a lot of them in the Beaverhead. I assume the Skater was for zeroing in on those really big ones.

Post 15 Dec 2019, 02:38 • #9 
Master Guide
Al Troth was a very practical guy and a masterful tier and fisherman, so I'm sure his skater was designed and tied with a definite purpose. Hard to tell if that's a salmon dry fly hook or a standard wet fly hook, but Al would have used whichever suited his intended use. The Beaverhead is well known for more big (18"+) browns than any other river in Montana and was Al's home river, so a bushy skater for night fishing makes good sense. In Al's heyday, a common Beaverhead wetfly rig was a #6 Girdle Bug on 20 lb. tippet, so delicacy wasn't a requirement!

Post 15 Dec 2019, 23:16 • #10 
Master Guide
:=))

Post 18 Dec 2019, 10:01 • #11 
Sport
Dick Surette's version:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... art137.php

New Topic Add Reply