It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Dec 2019, 19:27 • #1 
Master Guide
https://postimg.cc/gallery/2yvibud3u/

First time working with this material. Tied up three streamers on 1/0 Mustad stingers. Water tested a couple, this largemouth bass approved.

Post 08 Dec 2019, 21:42 • #2 
Guide
Very nice. You have to love it when a new fly pattern leads to a big fish!

Post 09 Dec 2019, 08:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome!

Post 10 Dec 2019, 07:55 • #4 
Master Guide
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1ZfVkG2

I did some with eyes.

Post 10 Dec 2019, 08:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Those oughtta work.

Post 15 Dec 2019, 08:54 • #6 
Master Guide
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1vpjdeoka/

I did a few with eyes. The added eyes, along with the UV cure, certainly change how the pattern swims. The eyeless ones are about neutrally buoyant and sink as the fluorocarbon leader sinks. They stay horizontal as they very slowly fall in the water column. I haven’t tried them on a nylon leader, but they might just stay just under the surface with nylon. I can work in the eyeless ones very slowly without fear of snagging on hidden deep obstructions.

The ones with added glue on 3D type eyes sink at a slow to moderate pace and dip at the nose at about a 45 degree angle when they sink.

So far, the eyeless ones have produced a few bass and the ones with eyes ( I did some more with smaller 3D eyes in that bass type color not pictured) have also produced a couple of bass and couple of nice channel catfish.

Post 20 Dec 2019, 18:31 • #7 
Master Guide

Trying Imgur

New Icelandic Sheep wool streamers.

Post 21 Dec 2019, 01:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking bait, the green/white suits me.
Does that hair absorb water?

Post 21 Dec 2019, 03:59 • #9 
Master Guide
Not at all. It’s like a synthetic, they way it sheds water. Doesn’t get heavy and waterlogged at all like a strip of rabbit will after a few casts. My 7/8 weight CGR will cast the 1/0 hook streamers nicely, but not quite as easily as a size 1 Gartside soft hackle streamer. Probably has a little more air resistance plus a modest amount more weight than the Gartside soft hackle streamer, but the Icelandic Sheep wool does form a streamline shape once wet.

I’ll fish them and if they work out well, I’ll probably find out which size and amount of material works out the best. I can’t really go much bigger on one hook, but I could definitely down size them and probably will do some smaller versions next. I’m really interested to see what they will do out in the saltwater, especially, against better speckled trout. There’s this belief around here (and other places with large spotted sea trout) that big baits get big speckled trout in the winter and that’s the first reason I wanted to do these this size. The Icelandic Sheep wool being so long let’s me do the big ones.

Some of the best wintertime lures here are pretty big and slow sink or suspend. Fish hole up in deeper spots when the shallow water gets pretty chilled after a big frontal passage, then come up on adjacent, relatively shallow flats to warm up as the sun works on warming up the shallow spots. The big trout lurk about in these spots and might pass on smaller offerings not wanting to waste energy, but look for a sluggish good sized mullet to ambush.

These are the biggest streamers I’ve ever tied or fished. There’s a few rivers and areas just offshore nearby that get tarpon at times and that’s another potential option for this type of streamer. I feel like I’ve got small and medium covered in my fly boxes, but was lacking good options on large.

Post 21 Dec 2019, 11:48 • #10 
Master Guide

Testing the new FFF image uploader.

Post 21 Dec 2019, 12:47 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
It's a material I've never seen except online, your pictures make me want some. I'd be looking at 4-5" finished size and your description of the sink rate gives me ideas for smb baits.

Post 21 Dec 2019, 13:39 • #12 
Master Guide
“Sybai's is generally longer and has a higher proportion of long hair to underfur. In short (no pun intended), more of the qualities you're paying for.”

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/sybai-icelandic-sheep-wool

This sybai’s is better than their other brand, costs more, but I think it is worth it. Straighter fibers, too.

Post 21 Dec 2019, 14:51 • #13 
Administrator
Nice photo! I like the whip finisher in the image to give a sense of scale.

For such a large fly, how well does it cast? Or, in other words how big a fly line will I need to cast that fly a good distance?

Tom

Post 21 Dec 2019, 23:22 • #14 
Master Guide
I’ve cast them with either one of my 7/8 weight CGRs or or 7/8 weight G. Loomis Short Stix. The lines are SA grand Slam 8 weight and SA saltwater Titan 8 weight and I can’t remember on the third, all floater lines, probably something similar on the third line. Those rods are my sort of bread and butter normal go to rods out in the saltwater and for LMB. I haven’t tried the Icelandic Sheep hair streamers with a 6 weight yet.

The Icelandic streamers aren’t as relatively effortless to cast as a size 1 gartside soft hackle streamer. They cast about like a deer hair diver on the same size hook. They cast with less effort than a blunt faced deer hair bushy bass popper. I’m using ~10’ total length knotted leaders, 12-15# tippet.

I typically like to cast and fish out to about 70’ or closer and these Icelandic Sheep Hair streamers aren’t too much trouble to that range with these rods. I think if needed or wanted to go out another 10-20 feet, I’d choose a different rod like the 9’ 8 weight TFO BVK I own or my 9 weight echo BAG Quickshot or perhaps something else.

The sheep hair can be sized any way so I’d just downsize and thin them up a bit if casting distance and casting effort trumped any other consideration. I plan to do some slightly smaller ones for greater ease of casting and maybe smaller ones might be the right choice for the fish on any given outing. I can envision having many of these in various sizes and color patterns. I’m back to carrying bunches of flies when I fish, they really don’t require a ton of space, and being curious about fly size and color effects on the fish.

It’s like I’m placing a bet on these, if it works out, I’ll have some great fishing and they’ll be a big part of what I want to do. If they don’t work out that great, I’ll stop tying and fishing them, but I have this idea that I need several of slightly different sizes and colors to hone in on what it is that will work the best.

I like working with the wool on the vise much better than the synthetic material like Steve Farrar Blend or EP for streamers so that encourages me to tie more.

Post 22 Dec 2019, 10:29 • #15 
Guide
Great looking flies Karstopo, I am definitely going to try tying a few to fish local lakes for lmb

New Topic Add Reply