It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:24

New Topic Add Reply
Odorless CA glue
Post 29 Nov 2019, 17:27 • #1 
Guide
I've been using Bob Smith Industries Supergold odorless CA for the last few months and really liking it. It's odorless and does not leave the white frost when dry. It's very thin and wicks into threads nicely. They also make a thicker version called plus. When you're in close proximity, as in when tying flies, I don't like the odor of normal CA's. Just thought I'd share, in case this would interest someone else.

Re: Odorless CA glue
Post 29 Nov 2019, 17:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Bob Smith Industries has some good epoxies, so I think they know what they're doing in adhesives. I'll get some of the CA. Thanks!

Post 30 Nov 2019, 20:24 • #3 
Guide
This brand also has the longest shelf life out of many brands I’ve used. Whether it be their regular CA or odorless.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 18:29 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
But the price for a bottle.... :eek

Post 08 Dec 2019, 17:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
It is about twice the price i pay for the stuff i use but if it doesn't irritate my eyes and nose would be worth it.Besides my stuff turns on me before its all gone.I am liking the Loon water based head cement .Have to see how durable it is.

Post 09 Dec 2019, 19:03 • #6 
Master Guide
I used to sell Super Glue. I didn't know how to run a business and it didn't last long. Sandy's Superfly. Back in the mid-1980s

I did learn a lot. Most of the world's super glue comes from two places. Taiwan and Japan. The Taiwanese stuff tends to be cheaper and often has an off-white to slightly yellow color cast.

The Japanese stuff is clearer and higher quality. Nearly all good super glues come from the same one or two factories in Japan. They just end up with different labels on the bottles.

All super glue has a shelf life. Keeping it cold helps. Trouble is wives don't generally tolerate super glue in fridge. When you see a bargain sale on super glue, perhaps at an online model airplane or drone making store, that's old super glue nearing the end of its useful shelf life. So they blow it off for cheap.

Good Japanese super glue isn't cheap. Buy small bottles of the good stuff. Keep it cold if you can.

Teflon tubing can be inserted into the bottle, all the way down to the bottom, and then caulked in place with ferrule cement or a hot glue gun. Then you have a "wash bottle." You don't tip the bottle to dispense glue. You squeeze it. You can watch the glue as it rises up the tube and then release pressure at the last moment, so you can dispense tiny, accurate, pinpoint drops ezzackly where you need it. When you let go of the bottle the glue is sucked back down into the bottle. If it does clog up it is always (always) at the tip of the teflon tube. So you shave 1/64th of an inch off and you're good to go again.

20 to 24 guage teflon tubing works well for medium viscosity, like ZapAGap

28 guage works for the thinest, most watery stuff, like ZapCA

Teflon is a brand name. Generic tubing is often referred to as ptfe tubing.

I bought two 100' foot rolls 30 years ago. Back in the 1980s. If I live to 100 I still won't use it all.

You can buy smaller amounts

Post 09 Dec 2019, 19:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
So it goes bad in a still factory sealed bottle? I have a couple unopened bottles turning bad as i type,I'm a cheap ass or just my catholic blue collar upbringing where waste drives me nuts.I have a cigar box half full of hackle tips and other such accumulated crap.

Post 10 Dec 2019, 07:55 • #8 
Master Guide
Yes it goes bad in a sealed bottle. Time wounds all heals. Bad glue takes longer to harden and holds not worth a feces.

Post 10 Dec 2019, 08:40 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, pittendrigh, for good information and tip on making a precision dispenser.

New Topic Add Reply