It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:54

New Topic Add Reply
Pat Barnes
Post 23 Nov 2019, 20:03 • #1 
Master Guide
I built a new hot rod computer recently using "gaming machine" components from Newegg.com including about a half a dozen built in hard drives. I have the Linux OS on an ssd drive and four others for data of various kinds. I didn't spend enough money on the graphics card so it's still too slow rendering video. I'll get that fixed eventually. A good graphics card with at least 8 gig on board RAM costs about $500 bucks.

I used to have all my half a zillion images scattered all over the place on external USB drives. Now they're all in one place, with automagic backups every night I leave the machine on.

I found a few scans of old 35mm slides. These two are of Pat Barnes who owned one of the first fly shops in West Yellowstone. Pat and his wife Zig. This was about two or three years before Pat died at age 88 or so. He was still rowing his boat right up until the end.

I think we used his Keith Steele boat that day. We used one of my boats the following year and he was grumpy about it. Here we are the Hardy Rapids on the Missouri. Pat wasn't there more than five minutes and he caught this 18" inch brown, on a Marabou streamer he called a "Scud." Pat explained the word scud was a synonym for a certain kind of fuzzy cloud. And that's what his gray and red streamer looked like. Pat liked being contrary. About fly names and almost everything else.

I have a photo of him with a bent rod fighting that fish. Somewhere. If I can find it I'll add to this thread.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 24 Nov 2019, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Pat Barnes
Post 23 Nov 2019, 20:50 • #2 
Master Guide
Here's the fly Pat Barnes caught the (above) fish on. The Pat Barnes Scud. I have a few more photos of him somewhere, in backup disk land, but I haven't found them yet. I have a bunch of 35mm slides that haven't been scanned yet too. Are there 8 days in a week?

>> https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopag ... s-Scud.jpg << a few more Pat Barnes flies here

Last edited by pittendrigh on 24 Nov 2019, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Nov 2019, 08:07 • #3 
Master Guide
I found the Pat Barnes bent rod photo, of Pat fighting the fish above. And another of him releasing the fish.

Spencer Ewert has a nifty history of Rocky Mountain fly fishing site, with lots of good stuff about Pat and Zig Barnes.
http://www.spencerewert.com/WesternTrou ... arnes.html

Post 24 Nov 2019, 09:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
pittendrigh wrote:

And I thought the head down, bowing to the fish, was a new pose.

Keep the photos and stories coming.

Post 24 Nov 2019, 09:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Those are wonderful!

Post 24 Nov 2019, 10:46 • #6 
Master Guide
I have one more Pat Barnes story. Actually I have a dozen or more but this one did come to mind. No photo to go with but it is an interesting story.

The day above was the first of several Lower Missouri River trips I made with Pat. That day it was just the two of us. I rowed most of the way but not for all of it. When we got to the Hardy Rapids (which are a riffle at best) Pat showed me a secret of his. Lots of people stop and fish there but miss what he showed me. A pretty big spring fed slough enters there. During mayfly hatches fish move into that slough from above and you can catch big fish in shallow water, although you do have to fish downstream to get them. They're vulnerable and exposed there so they move out the minute the hatch is over.

At the bottom of that slough, back in the willow bushes there was a pile of crawfish skins four feet wide and 4" inches tall, left there by generations of raccoons. Pat lived and worked (he was a school teacher for a long time) in Helena and told me it had been there for as long as he could remember.

About ten years ago an exceptionally high water year washed all those crawfish skins away. Now it's ten years later and they're starting to build up again. Although nothing like they used to be. Not yet anyway.

So I almost always fish crawfish there. At the Hardy Rapids. Where that spring fed channel flows it (actually it's mostly irrigation diversion, but it is spring fed too). I don't think I necessarily catch more fish that way--fishing crawdad patterns--but they do work well there. From the Hardy bridge on down there is good big-fish fishing for 200 or 300 yards. And they do like crawfish flies. Especially late in the day. You take out at Pelican Point on that float. If it isn't pitch black when you take your boat out you've made a big mistake. The best fishing all happens late.

Post 24 Nov 2019, 13:55 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Good stories Pitt ,i dont know of any of these people but they sound like the crusty old guys that taught me how to really fish.Those subtle things most people never notice.

Post 26 Nov 2019, 18:31 • #8 
Guide
Wow. Thanks for the reminder that for all that seems to change, most of it really stays the same.

New Topic Add Reply