It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:15

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Using Found Feathers
Post 24 Oct 2019, 13:45 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I think he was charged with burglary rather than poaching, but the UK laws are naturally not the same as USA laws, for one thing they don't even have bald eagles or many of the other protected birds.
"The Feather Thief" Johnson- from what I read when it was news. the book is more about an obsession by the author over the obsession of the thief than about any thing that would interest me. Both appear to be people that don't fish.

Post 24 Oct 2019, 15:33 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I pick up feathers all the time. So do most of the people I know, if not for fly tying, just cause they are pretty, or special or something. Does anybody truly think they are going to get busted for it??? Methinks there are more important things to worry about.

Post 24 Oct 2019, 15:35 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
If you're just looking to get an assortment of fur and feathers for occasional use, crafts stores .are a good source. Walk through one and you will see all kinds of stuff good for tying. Some of it is, essentially, the same as sold at a specialty shop, but much cheaper. Also, Salvation Army, Good Will, and stores of that type are good inexpensive sources. Especially for fur, you never know what old coats and stoles might show up in a store that sells donated clothing.

Post 24 Oct 2019, 15:40 • #29 
Guide
If there are any farms near by you might be able to get cheap or free chicken feathers, which can be versatile. There is a small farm animal "petting zoo" about 45 min from my house, they don't my me collecting cast offs there.

Also old down pillows maybe?

Be sure to freeze or boil any found feathers :)
Bob

Post 25 Oct 2019, 12:46 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Kirk Johnson, the author of The Feather Thief is actually a rather obsessive flyfisher. Back around Labor Day I fished with Spencer Seim, the flyfishing guide who first told Johnson about the heist of feathers at the Tring Museum in England. Edward Rist was perhaps under house arrest for a while and faced a potentially rather lengthy stay in prison, but his lawyer hooked him up with a psychologist who diagnosed him with Asperger's Syndrome, and the judge essentially let him go, based on prior precedence in case law. It is of interest to me that recently the American Psychiatric Association had Asperger's Syndrome removed from the diagnostic manual, as they felt the criteria for diagnosis was entirely too vague. I purchased the book after hearing Spencer's account and found it well written. But it really left me with a lot of questions by the end of the book.

Larry

Post 25 Oct 2019, 13:56 • #31 
Master Guide
How does some random, unidentifiable by all but the most trained observer, rather non descriptive feather found in the yard then being incorporated into a fly ever even come into any kind of situation with legal ramifications?

Is it common in places for some sort of trained in feather identification LEO to inspect flies you might be using for the nature of the feathers?

I get it if someone is selling multiples of can’t miss flies made from the marabou of spotted owls will likely be found out, but the random chickadee hackle dry in a box with dozens of other flies, how the heck does something like that come to anyone’s attention?

Post 25 Oct 2019, 22:23 • #32 
Guide
I've had 7 interactions with Minnesota DNR officers over the years, for the most part they have been very negative even though 6 of the 7 I was totally in the right and the other was debatable dependant on what government agency really had authority. Only one officer was pleasant to talk to, the rest well. I simply would rather not take a chance of letting them find something to write up as twice they did a complete search of gear and boat and grilled everyone in the boat for 30 minutes and were clearly upset at not finding any offense. Every time I was pleasant and calm, meanwhile I have two brother inlaws that fish alot and have never bought a license and never been checked.

Post 27 Oct 2019, 12:27 • #33 
Master Guide
Did anyone mention the Migratory Bird Act? I perused the page 2 answers above but didn't read carefully.

The women's hat industry a hundred years ago threatened many species.

The Migratory Bird Act was passed. It is illegal to possess feathers from wild birds UNLESS the feathers come from A) a finite list of "game species" or B) the feathers come from "invasive species not natural to the Americas."

Snowy Egrets almost went extinct. Now they are back.
On the other hand you can do anything you want with Starling, House Sparrow, Collared Dove, etc, because they are invasive. Duck and Grouse are on the "game birds" list so you can possess and sell them. All others are, unfortunately, off limits.

When I rode my bike to work 20 years ago I noticed many dead birds on the sides of the roads in the early morning. Every morning. They were all gone a few hours later, taken away by cats and other birds. I tied with a few of the good ones. There are no feather police. Not unless you sell them. Which is a no no. Even in my book.

RE> The Feather Thief
There is an active and ongoing black market in illegal feathers. You can search for forbidden feathers on EBay. They are there for sale now. Every day. Wildlife guides (mostly birding guides) in Central America like the Migratory Bird Act and they complain bitterly about bird poachers in the own countries. Trapping macaws Toucans and Contingas (the severely declining Blue Chatterer to fly tiers) they see as a threat to their occupation. Wildlife tourism is about all that's left in Central America, not counting the drug trade.

Finally (I promise) there is also an active market for (alive) pet parrots of various kinds, especially for the big Macaws. But there is no pet trade at all for Toucan and Cotinga. And yet there is a lively trade in those feathers. Who is buying them?

Post 01 Feb 2020, 08:52 • #34 
I've never understood how it is illegal for me to possess the bluejay or cardinal feathers I find in my lawn, but it is perfectly legal for my neighbor's cats to roam around killing them every week.

Post 05 Feb 2020, 18:35 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
It is a pretty good read Crusty. I was introduced to this book by Spencer Seim, the New Mexico flyfishing guide who first brought up the museum heist to the author of "The Feather Thief". He had a lot of good background material not mentioned in the book.

Larry

Post 05 Feb 2020, 22:45 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
jacknoir wrote:
I've never understood how it is illegal for me to possess the bluejay or cardinal feathers I find in my lawn, but it is perfectly legal for my neighbor's cats to roam around killing them every week.

A very valid point!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply