It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:30

New Topic Add Reply
Yellar Hammer Fly
Post 29 May 2019, 15:07 • #1 
Guide
https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/pi/kXtQsW-9c~yellerhammer.jpg

This is a pic (sorry for the poor quality of the photo, but I am definitely not a photographer) of my version of the Yellar Hammer wet fly which is a Smoky Mountain creation. It works. The trout in the Park streams will hit it hard. I'm not sure what it is supposed to represent (possibly a stone fly nymph?) The fly was originally tied with the the wing feathers of the Yellow Hammer Flicker. The feathers of this bird are now illegal to possess and it is illegal to kill one. There are many substitutes for the flicker feathers that work very well. My version involves the died yellow of a duck quill.
Hook: any nymph hook size 6 down to about a 14. I usually add a copper bead and wrap the hook with lead (or other) wire.
Thread: yellow tying thread
Tail: any reasonable hair or hackle
Body: Usually yellow chenille or yarn, but other colors work well and provide a little contrast with all the yellow.
Hackle: I soak a died yellow duck wing quill for 15 minutes or so, usually by wrapping in wet paper towel. Starting at the tip end of the feather I trim off some of the feather on both sides. Tie the tip at the tail end of the hook and wrap toward the eye. Tie off when the eye or bead is reached.
Joe

Re: Yellar Hammer Fly
Post 29 May 2019, 15:40 • #2 
Master Guide
that looks like it could do some serious damage in PA as well

Post 29 May 2019, 16:56 • #3 
Guide
It might work up there. Tie some up and give it a shot.
Joe

Post 30 May 2019, 06:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice, including the history on the name and original source of feathers. Is the one shown tied with deer hair as the tale--which would help it take a nose down, tail up attitude? Not sure of the aquatic life in those streams, but anything from a crayfish, alder fly, hellgrammite, stone fly, and so on--prey that grips with its forelegs, and flutters its abdomen and tail when shaken loose or moving. Also various terrestrials--grubs, angle worms, caterpillars. So it's a good suggestive design--as opposed to a specific imitation--derived from traditional styles such as the wooly worm. Nowadays, with the addition of the bead head, such flies are imitations of a Trout Magnet.

I'm thinking that basic style could be productive in a variety of color patterns and would be fun to try in color variations. Do you experiment that way, or have you experimented and settled on that color-combo?

Post 30 May 2019, 09:18 • #5 
Guide
Whrlpool, I can't remember exactly what I tied the tail with; it was either deer hair or squirrel tail, depending on what was readily in reach on the tying bench. Sometimes I use more yellow such as duck quill. The tail material doesn't really matter too much. The only other version I have tied is what is called the "crow fly" which is another local mountain fly going way back. It is tied in black with some kind of black wing feather for the hackle. Originally crow feathers were used.
Joe

New Topic Add Reply