It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:28

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Jan 2019, 20:26 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like the making of an awesome trip! We will want a trip report upon your return! Good luck!

Post 13 Jan 2019, 10:40 • #27 
Master Guide

Just got back... The trip was a success even though the fishing was very slow. Lots of fishing potential but earlier in the season (Sep-Nov), as it should be expected...however I knew that wasn't possible due to my work schedule. You can read a brief synopsis and see more pics here:

https://musicarskikafe.blogspot.com/201 ... n-med.html

Post 13 Jan 2019, 12:17 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!
Bonito's in Greece? Wow

Post 14 Jan 2019, 18:38 • #29 
Master Guide
Indeed, it was a well known fish from ancient times...Byzantine coin showcasing Sarda sarda:

Post 15 Jan 2019, 18:43 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome photos! Looks like a great time!

Post 20 Jan 2019, 09:00 • #31 
Master Guide
Thanks, Driftless. Few more recent ties to keep this thread back on track :hat

Post 20 Aug 2019, 16:54 • #32 
Master Guide
Bonito Squid (small bunny-tail squid pattern):

From past few days...Atlantic bonito on a clouser:

Post 21 Aug 2019, 08:01 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fly and fish!

Post 21 Aug 2019, 10:03 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
nice, Vlad!

Post 22 Aug 2019, 20:53 • #35 
Master Guide
Thanks guys...this is the year of Atlantic bonito here in New England! Good numbers of fish but also somewhat crowded, since there are no secrets in modern age. I fished today and scored a couple from the rocks, on my jig hook bucktail minnow... Beautiful, wild, hard running pelagic fish! Also, false albacore are already here...early this year!

Post 25 Aug 2019, 11:10 • #36 
Master Guide
Few more fish portraits from yesterday...

Last edited by musicar on 27 Aug 2019, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Aug 2019, 16:14 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice! I'll bet those can rip some line out.

Post 25 Aug 2019, 22:41 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Nice colors. Love the photos of them all lit up so to speak.

Post 27 Aug 2019, 19:46 • #39 
Master Guide
Indeed, these fish are something special and a unique prize when landed from terra firma.

Here's a short clip of my friend Jason landing a smaller bonito yesterday morning...was a good day w/multiple fish landed:

Last edited by musicar on 28 Aug 2019, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Aug 2019, 05:55 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like great fun!

Post 28 Aug 2019, 15:09 • #41 
Master Guide
Vlad,

I can see how that fishing would be addictive.

Could you tell us a little more about you fly gear --type of rod and reel,& line, do you use a stripping basket?

Are they good for more than one long run. (My Detroit Lions running backs are not.)

Envy you,
Heddonist

Post 28 Aug 2019, 16:49 • #42 
Master Guide
Quote:
Could you tell us a little more about you fly gear --type of rod and reel,& line, do you use a stripping basket?

Hi Dennis,

For Atlantic bonito, who are nowadays mostly running somewhat small (this season a 5lb fish would be a good one from my land spot), I like 7wt or 8wt rod, winds permitting, in early season. Many times I just use a 9wt, since it is a better wind tool. Right now is a transitional period when you have a chance to hook into albacore and bonito in one day, and 7/8wt would be too light. For false albacore I like 9wt or a 10wt. If you want a single rod to cover everything, I would go with a 9wt or a 10, in late season.

I prefer 9 foot rods for this fishing...and yes, mostly use graphite. I spend many hours on the rocks in the fall, and graphite is more responsive for 6-10hrs of blind casting for me from an exposed pile of stones. Glass has its place in saltwater fly fishing, but I think there are better options for many hours of non-stop blind casting. However, I will use glass for a change of pace or for shorter sessions. If you are more casual about it, or prefer to cast to breaking fish only, or are fishing only for a couple of hours, by all means use a fiberglass rod...it will work perfectly fine.

For reels, there are many great options for salty fly winches. I like classic cork / draw bar drags and reels by Tibor, Abel, Islander...they are reels from "my era" and I am happy with them...I use Bauers too.

For fly lines, I like Airflo, RIO and SA, in that order. All make coldwater salt specific lines in intermediate density. However, I love using sinking lines for this fishing too, and like Airflo DI3 and Depthfinder lines from the rocks.

Smaller bonito can run very good, but albacore will kick your butt (large/equivalent size bonito would too.) They have different styles of running and experienced angler can distinguish them most of the time. Bonito tend to change the direction of the run more than albacore, but albies being often twice the size, can easily rip the rod from your hand if you don't pay attention. I know a couple of fly anglers who lost their outfits that way-a true story!

Many times albies would run into moorings or lobster pot lines...makes it for very interesting fishing and fly lines get tangled and lost. I see broken fly rods every season too.

Stripping basket is a must, you've got no choice, since you'd be fishing from craggy rocks.

Post 28 Aug 2019, 17:58 • #43 
I love the whole milieu—the sea, toothy predatory fish, delicious flies, precision reels and rods, all integers in transcendent times.

Post 29 Aug 2019, 13:23 • #44 
Master Guide
Vlad,

Thanks..

Heddonist

Post 01 Sep 2019, 10:28 • #45 
Master Guide
Vlad,

I'd like to pry a little deeper on the reels you use.

You mentioned the Tibor. Which model? LH?, and do you prefer the DD or anti-reverse? ( I see a lot of the latter used on sale.)

Thanks,
Heddonist

Post 01 Sep 2019, 13:59 • #46 
Master Guide
Hi Dennis,

I use Tibor Everglades and Riptide models. They are DD reels and can be easily set up for either retrieve. I also like older Billy Pate reels (but don’t own any now), but they are nowadays made only as AR. You can get them only used in DD and their retrieve can’t be converted by the user.

Abel and Islander make/made similar reels, have some of those as well.

Vlad

Post 01 Sep 2019, 18:02 • #47 
Sport
I’ve never fished flies for albacore, but have caught many bonito in a small inlet at Redondo Beach, CA. It had a warm salt water outlet that attracted the fish continuously. Sardines and anchovies were the bonitos food of choice so any fly that mimicked them was a sure bet.

Post 01 Sep 2019, 18:41 • #48 
Master Guide
Redsadiesue,

That's wonderful! I am aware of an excellent fishery which was in King's Harbor in CA, back in, I believe early 1980s? Redondo Beach bonito in recent era has been on my list for a long time. Actually, it is amazing that two bonito species are available in California: Sarda orientalis (striped bonito) and Sarda chiliensis (Eastern Pacific bonito).

We got only one species on the East Coast, Sarda sarda, Atlantic bonito, which is the species I am also aware of from back home in the Mediterranean (Europe).

False albacore is an amazing gamefish, but the true tunoid flyfishing-fanatics up here would always prefer the catch of Atlantic bonito. It is, in my opinion, the tougher species to get on the fly. It is the "brown trout" of the tunoids… it is a ghost which appears and vanishes quickly! False albacore are reckless...they're amazing fighters, and certainly challenging for sure.

My Tibor Everglades in action on Atlantic bonito (image courtesy of Jason Zimmer):

Vermiculations on the body of false albacore:

Albacore on a glass stick:

Post 02 Sep 2019, 16:40 • #49 
Guide
How the Heck are you able to ignore Boston Traffic (?) , I realize the Albies May Be well worth it , but if you have another secret for this Boston H-hole , I’m eagerly listening !!!

Post 06 Sep 2019, 15:03 • #50 
Master Guide
If you leave very early, before morning rush hour, you will be fine. You have two options for the return...come back for lunch after morning fishing, or stay the whole day and return home in the evening.

It works most of the time...but of course not always. And if you land a couple of albies, you won't care even if you get stuck in traffic...:-)

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply