It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:02

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 May 2008, 08:33 • #26 
Administrator
Sandy,

Quite a few points, but as you noted: The general policy towards copyrighted video is, "Unless YOU own the copyright, please do not link to it." I will maintain that policy until there is legal precedent to change. I don't expect the matter to be resolved soon.
Quote:
I think you're wrong about this. I think this issue has not in any way been officially or legally resolved. You cannot copy copyrighted material. But making a link is not copying.

This is a new issue arising out of new, unforeseen technological advances, so there is as yet no clear cut legal interpretation of what a hyperlink constitutes.
You are right, the legal precedent has not been set. A link is not copying, but it does provide direct access to the copyright violation. Basically, that is why they sued and shutdown Napster, for providing the access.
Quote:
Sharing music has never been fully resolved either, for that matter. So that leaves open the more interesting question: is music sharing OK when no profit or transaction of any kind is involved? For instance I think I should be able to make a cassette tape of my favorite songs, and send it to my daughter as a Christmas present. And I should also be able to do that with a cdrom or dvd.
Sharing is only legal if you don't get caught. See this Wikipedia.org article for some indications of the legal morass involved. RIAA is actively pursuing and suing individuals for sharing. The cassette tape and CD copies have considerable legal precedent. They are clear copyright violations unless they are made for your own archival purposes. With regards to video, MPAA has bigger, badder, uglier lawyers than RIAA and better political connections.
Finally: back to deep linking. Google does it all the time. It is there policy to remove any deep link the page owner complains about, but they're careful to say this does not constitute any admission of copyright infringement. It's just their policy. So ... at the very least, the "general rule of thumb" about deep linking is "do your thing." In those rare cases where some fool complains, consider removing the link. But consider that then and only then.. ..people deep link to my website all the time. Occasionally I write to them to say "thanks."But usually I don't say anything at all.[/quote]There is a certain courtesy involved in proper linking. A direct link to the deepest contents of someone's website makes the source of the material unclear. For instance, a proper citation to your extremely interesting Lure Fly pages would be "see Sandy Pittendrigh's Lure Flies page on the montana-riverboats.com website" or something similar to let the reader know where it came from. Wikipedia.org is a great place to see good examples of internet referencing.

I don't want people to avoid video like the plague. But I do want them to ensure they are giving the copyright owner their due. Many people do put video on the web for unrestricted use. I simply asked Davie McPhail and he was very happy to give us permission. It is common courtesy to acknowledge the author and ask their permission to create links.

I also don't want to be repeatedly going over this topic. I realize my stance is extremely conservative, but it is my butt that will get sued in the long run. Perhaps we should revise this thread to include only the instruction resources and pin that to the top of the forum. And Sandy, I would really love it if you could include a post outlining/indexing some of the material on your site and some of the others on montana-riverboats.com There is some really neat information there.

Tom

Post 01 Jun 2008, 01:35 • #27 
Master Guide
RE> "And Sandy, I would really love it if you could include a post outlining/indexing some of the material on your site and some of the others on montana-riverboats.com There is some really neat information there. "

My site has grown so large it's becoming unmanageable. I use a CMS (content management system) that I wrote (I'm a programmer). But it doesn't include a good search mechanism yet. Google "custom search" is so unreliable (misses lots of good stuff) I haven't gone that way. I did buy a "virtual dedicated server" a month ago, which will allow me to fix everything ... can roll my own search mechanism with "lucene," for instance.

That was long winded. I hope to have better navigation and searching by late this summer.
In the meantime, my site has two identies: Driftboat building and Fly Tying.

The boat building forum is a great success. Many of the best driftboat builders alive today
participate there: Roger Fletcher, Ray Heater, Jason Cajune, me and a host of others. The Fly Tying sections all revolve around the idea of photos of flies actually tied by selected tiers ... from Al Troth, Franz Pott, etc to lesser-known low-lifes like me. My photos might not be quite as good as Hanz Weilenmann's (at danica.com) but I'm closing
in on him (on his excellent site and photographs).
For now you just have to poke around. Thank you for the complement!

RE> RIAA and wikepedia and copying of music: Well, ok. But my answer is this: "illegal laws (like segregation) aren't laws"
And so it is our civic duty and responsibility to copy music (that we own, because we bought it) as we see fit. :-)

Post 18 Jun 2008, 03:57 • #28 
I agree on copying and distributing/selling but I feel I can copy for myself. I may be wrong but I rarely am (no that's right - just ask my bride) and I have been wrong many times before.

On another subject: How can one put this site on my "StartUp" in my computer? Is it possible?

DT

Post 08 Aug 2008, 06:50 • #29 
Guide
I'm not really revisiting this as it's my first time digging into the board archives. I finally got round to going back farther than the first page and found this thread.
As I don't really pimp us much here, I would like to put up Fly Fish Ohio as a great resource for fly tying videos. Three years ago, We produced the first monthly video podcast of fly tying, on iTunes. Whenever the video is shorter than 10 minutes, in length, we put it on YouTube. Search there under 'cornmuse' for our videos. Joe and I are very relaxed in how people link to our stuff. You can do basically anything but package and resell our videos. I'm probably as paranoid about copyright as Tom, but link to our stuff all you want. Copyright is only up there to discourage blatant pirating/reselling.
Joe has a penchant for panfish/bass flies and streamers, but we do try to keep things interesting and informative across a wide range of disciplines, including salmonids and salt.
-Jim

Post 12 Oct 2008, 03:23 • #30 
Master Guide
I would have to "ditto" the Fly Fish Ohio site ... been there a number of times. Excellent!

Post 06 Jul 2009, 00:39 • #31 
Master Guide

Hi All;

I too will sing praises about the podcasts at Fly fish Ohio, they are very well done!

Kudos to Joe Cornwall(Cornmuse) for working on these, I've learned a lot from them, as an example look at my baitfish pattern in the thread on Puglisi baitfish that I learned to tie from Joe's podcast.

Waynebh

Post 04 Apr 2010, 12:28 • #32 
Guide
My two favorite sites are Fly Fish Ohio and Warmwaterflytyer.com. Joe Cornwall is a top notch guy and I've learned a ton from his book, video instruction and site.

Ward Bean is another hero of mine (www.warmwaterflytyer.com), his site has some excellent warm water patterns.

Doug

Post 26 Jun 2011, 14:49 • #33 
I'll dig up this post to add The Caddis Fly Shop's blog http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/

there's a lot of oregon fishing reports, intermixed with a bunch of tying videos
or you can just subscribe to their youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/CaddisFlyShop

Post 28 Jun 2011, 13:25 • #34 
Master Guide
Try flyguysoutfitting.com. Click on the fly tying link and then whatever category ( dries, wets, etc.). The step by step tutorials are some of the best I've seen.

Post 30 Nov 2011, 01:12 • #35 
Sport
http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhai. .. A6_S8EJl-4

Dave McPhail is really good.

also

http://community.flyfisherman.com/fly-bench

Post 12 Sep 2012, 14:07 • #36 
Here is a link to some of my videos. Not the best as they are just done using my webcam. But if your interested in classics, specifically tying in hand, they may be of some use.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dafunk5446/videos

Post 21 Sep 2012, 17:45 • #37 
Guide
Hi Corlay!
I'm with "wacokid54" on this. There are many wonderful websites with great tying videos, and many of my favorites have been mentioned, but I found that you can shorten the learning curve by signing up to a beginner tying class. It's like learning to ski, cast a fly rod, or anything else, there are techniques worth learning that are beneficial to tying flies, and selecting and applying materials.
Cap'n Bob

Post 21 Sep 2012, 20:50 • #38 
Master Guide
http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/index.shtml

Post 07 Jan 2013, 17:50 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I just received an order from fly tyers dungeon; great resource for your fly tying supplies. I paid $17 for the items in this pic, including shipping. They have some unbelievable deals periodically-p-

Post 07 Jan 2013, 20:08 • #40 
Sport
YouTube has a lot of good fly tying videos. I subscribe to Davie McPhail, Hans Weilenmann, and Tightline Productions, among others.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail
http://www.youtube.com/user/HansWeilenmann
http://www.youtube.com/user/tightlinevideo

Post 28 Dec 2013, 23:02 • #41 
Master Guide
Orvis has an app for only $2.99 available on Kindle. It is good for Android in general. Had mixed reviews initially but, has been upgraded. A free media option download is available as well once purchased. Has a lot in it, including some good fly pattern and tying detail.

Post 29 Dec 2013, 18:51 • #42 
Inactive
I like the You Tube videos by Hans Weilenmann.

Post 03 Jan 2014, 20:54 • #43 
Master Guide
Another good source of videos is: Http - globalflyfisher.com - video.

They have quite an assortment of live stream video on fly fishing and just scroll down a little and each page has a section of videos specifically on flies and tying. Many of specific patterns.

Post 16 May 2014, 23:09 • #44 
Sport
I've just discovered the Youtube videos by Terry Corneau. He is very methodical and precise, and has a genius for explaining what he's doing and why it matters. My tying skills are getting some needed improvement. Very highly recommended for beginners.

For patterns and inspiration, Hammer Creek, and of course Davie McPhail. Both on Youtube.

Post 20 Sep 2014, 08:28 • #45 
Sport
Good stuff. Thanks.

Post 27 Oct 2016, 10:08 • #46 
Sport
I would check out Tightlineproductions on youtube. Tim does an excellent job.

Post 27 Oct 2016, 10:10 • #47 
Sport
Heres the URL
http://www.youtube.com/user/tightlinevideo

Post 12 Dec 2016, 14:16 • #48 
Master Guide
http://fliesfliesflies.com -- one of several good online fly collections of flies tied by Cal Bird, George Grant, Franz Pott, Al Troth, Dick Talleur, Frank Matarelli and many others.

This my website. But still. Pretty good collection of historical flies tied by the original guys.

Here's another: http://www.spencerewert.com/WesternTrou ... index.html

Post 12 Dec 2016, 15:52 • #49 
Master Guide
Pitt,

I think you touched on something. Why do people put up public blogs and websites in the first place? Is it so other people have to ask permission to link to it? I don't think so. My understanding of the process is the more "hits", the better, regardless of their ultimate source (I admit I'm "fuzzy" on this hit thing). The primary question is not about how we get there, but what use we make of what's there. It's easy enough for the owner of a site to add something about not linking to his site. If a site has ads, then the owner wants as many folks as possible viewing those ads.

By the way Pitt, thank you for your wonderful aquatic insect close ups.

BB

Post 12 Dec 2016, 16:17 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
pitt,
Great website, I had forgotten some of Cal Birds' flies and really enjoyed the other tiers. It's a great look at historical tiers and the flies. However. what really caught my eye was the MRB Rowdyak, that's really innovative and has my attention.
Thanks rvreclus

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply