It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Apr 2008, 11:01 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I'm going to learn to tie flies, I've decided.

I was wondering:
Are there any online resources for instruction?
you know, like, a pattern-specific step-by-step guide with pictures?

I fish wet flies predominantly,
and maybe a bead-head nymph or two;
if that matters ...

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

Post 11 Apr 2008, 12:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You can watch a lot of flies being tied on www.youtube.com Just type in the fly you're looking for and it's probably shown there.

Post 11 Apr 2008, 13:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic

If you have a local flyshop that has a beginner class, or a community college, adult ed, or rec district that offers classes, that would be a good start. Then you can take those fundamentals and go hog wild with online, books, and DVDs. It is a whole new world. Good Luck!

Wacokid54

Post 11 Apr 2008, 14:23 • #4 
Emeritus
There are more online fly tying tutorials than you can imagine.
Try www.flytyingforum.com
www.google.com
www.youtube.com

Post 11 Apr 2008, 14:35 • #5 
Emeritus
Corlay, here are a couple of web sites that helped me learn. The first is http://flytyingforum.com/. I believe they still do virtual fly tying classes and many videos. The other is http://charliesflyboxinc.com/ Charlie Craven is a Colorado Fly shop owner and an extraordinary fly tier and inventor. His tutorials are some of the best I've seen anywhere. Give them a try.

Another pretty nice site is http://flysource.net. It is a place to trade thousands of fly patterns with other tiers from around the world. You can also make fly pattern books and print them up.

Post 12 Apr 2008, 01:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
some of these links are just what I was looking for!
(especially the Charlie's Fly Box - nice clear descriptions and directions with incremental pictures ... )

I think that written description and photo is the right medium for me to learn,
although I'll give the yootube a try to see if I like video demonstration.
(but I doubt that I will)

I tied-up a Hare's Ear and Prince nymphs last night.
They are, by all means, *ugly* by tying standards.
Proportions are a bit off, and with the Prince, I didn't have any "biot";
so I improvised.
But maybe they'll still catch fish?
Only one way to find out ...

Post 12 Apr 2008, 08:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
"I think that written description and photo is the right medium for me to learn,
although I'll give the yootube a try to see if I like video demonstration.
(but I doubt that I will)"

Me too, but let me tell you its easier to learn some things by observation (whip finishing, parachutes, etc.) than by reading--at least for me. Youtube has helped with several "ahah!" moments where I was frustrated by the written description.

If your first flies are ugly; well, so are bugs and fish still eat them. That's the only reason my first efforts worked! In fact, I'm still surprised at what fish eat.

Hayden

Post 13 Apr 2008, 07:26 • #8 
The two best sources of "quality" fly-tying instruction on-line are:

1. Davie McPhail on YouTube. In my opinion Davie is one of THE best fly tyers in the UK (he's from Scotland to be accurate). Nice clear videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeatyMann

2. But I guess you guys are more interested in flies suitable for the US mainly. For this, I *HIGHLY* recommend the series (plural): "Fly Tying The Angler's Art". To download these episodes you will need the Open Media Network client. Details of the shows themselves are here:

http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/OMNFlyTying.aspx

and the client/downloader for the shows can be found here:

http://www.omn.org/

Beware - I set my PC to download all fortysomething episodes the other night. 12Gb of download later, they were all here! (in less than 24 hours, so worth doing if you like them).

[Edit: Mr. McPhail was kind enough to grant his permission for the direct link to his videos. Thank you sir! Tom]

Last edited by jgestar on 17 May 2008, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Apr 2008, 07:35 • #9 
Actually, I'll add something here. Often, watching how fly tiers tie up a fly gives you an awful lot of information about technique. They may be tying a pattern you would never use, but the way they tie it may well teach you something you can use on other patterns. Certainly that's what I've found.

Post 13 Apr 2008, 12:14 • #10 
Guide
Here is a good one with lots of photos and descriptions. http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4478 it is the FFF site.

Post 13 Apr 2008, 17:56 • #11 
"[Edit: Unless YOU own the copyright for a video, please do not hot link to it. Thanks. Tom]
Last Edited By: jgestar 04/13/08 15:44:40. Edited 1 times. "

Interesting Tom - why edit mine and not the others?

They were certainly not direct links to any videos as far as I can see.

Post 13 Apr 2008, 19:52 • #12 
Administrator
Ecowarrior12,
Everyone else linked to the front page of sites that are fly tying education sites and two people mentioned YouTube in general. You deep linked specifically to a group of YouTube videos by Davie McPhail that all contain a 2008 copyright notice. Unless you happen to be Davie McPhail, that isn't your copyrighted material to share. Telling someone how to find the videos is one thing. A direct link without the permission of the copyright owner is another.

The general policy towards copyrighted video is, "Unless YOU own the copyright, please do not link to it." To be honest, I didn't have time to check out the other site. It appears to be the front page of a fly tying education site also and a link would be fine.

Tom

Post 13 Apr 2008, 21:41 • #13 
Sorry I bothered

Post 28 Apr 2008, 05:45 • #14 
Guide
Corlay, go to www.flyanglersonline.com, on the left hand side of the page click on "fly fishing basics" then click on "fly tying". There is a wonderful series of articles written by the late Al Campbell. They also have a ton of patterns with instructions in the fly archives. Highly recommended.
Tom.

Post 28 Apr 2008, 08:13 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Scooter2022 wrote:
Corlay, go to www.flyanglersonline.com, on the left hand side of the page click on "fly fishing basics" then click on "fly tying". There is a wonderful series of articles written by the late Al Campbell. They also have a ton of patterns with instructions in the fly archives. Highly recommended.
Tom.

hey, thanks!
nice site.

funny, he calls the Hare's Ear and Pheasant Tail the 2 all-time best nymph patterns.
so happens those are the 2 patterns that i've started with,
and have actually caught fish on both. (w00t!)

I started with nymph patters because:
they looked easier than dry and wet patterns.
I've never fished them, so I thought I'd broaden my horizons.
(Although, I don't fish them as most do. Instead I rig one amongst 1-2 other wet flies,
and "swing" them downstream, instead of an upstream dead-drift with an indicator as is usually recommended ... )

Eventually, I'll attempt a few wet fly patterns.
Wings and/or "palmering" hackle scare me a little, right now.
I'll get there ...

Post 29 Apr 2008, 11:27 • #16 
Emeritus
Corey If you liked Charlie Craven's site, check out this months Fly Fisherman magazine. Charlie has a great article on tying parachutes

Post 13 May 2008, 02:21 • #17 
Why would someone make Fly Tying Instruction Videos and place them on YouTube if he did not want them shared. Copying and selling is an infringment. I think your replys to ecowarrior were just too consevative. Maybe there is someting posted on the site about sharing. Anyway thanks for the posts and keep tying and looking for sites to share.
desertrout

Post 13 May 2008, 04:04 • #18 
Administrator

deserttrout,

Yes. I take a very conservative approach with regards to video copyright. Disclaimers posted on the YouTube site are worth nothing. Just because someone posted their videos to YouTube doesn't mean we can set direct links, copy, or distribute their material. The copyright holder is the only one who can determine where/how their material is used. In the case of a video, it is hard to justify a direct link as a "fair use" of the material.

At the very least, the website administrator (me) should contact the copyright holder for permission to link to their copyrighted work. Unfortunately, I don't have the time! If someone were to contact the author and have them send/e-mail me their permission to allow direct links to their videos, that would be fine. Even better would be for the actual author to post the links.

Otherwise, without that explicit permission, whenever I see a video that displays a copyright notice, I will cut the direct link.

Tom

Post 13 May 2008, 04:21 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:

Otherwise, without that explicit permission, whenever I see a video that displays a copyright notice, I will cut the direct link.

no harm, no foul.
I couldn't understand a *damn* thing Davie was saying, anyway. Image

seriously, though ...
It's probably smart to remain conservative on this issue.

Davie's youtube videos *do* have a look about them,
like they were intended for youtube.
Which means they are, by definition, freely distributable.

But if Davie didn't post them himself (hard to tell due to usernames vs. realnames used on that site)
I suppose there is the risk that someone pirated the material from another media, and illegally posted them there?

Post 13 May 2008, 13:39 • #20 
Guide
When someone puts there copyrite on a vidio and posts it on utube or anywhere else public it is just like printing it in a magazine. You can look at it but not copy it. If I give you a direct link and you download the vidio, put it on a CD with others and sell it we are both guilty of copyrite infringement. JGESTAR as moderator could also be sued. It is a small thing to ask "not to post direct links to copyrited material". It is easy to unwitingly break the law, some do it every day and don't know it.
Pardon my ranting.
Eagleman

Post 17 May 2008, 06:14 • #21 
For what it's worth, I accept Tom's reasoning for doing what he did. Can't be easy being a moderator. Though in my defence, I took quite a bit of time putting my original post together to be as helpful as I could, then for it to be modified for what seemed (and to my mind still seems) like no really good reason, left me a bit miffed at the time.

I think you'll find that is Davie's own user on youtube and it is he who is posting them. I personally don't find him difficult to understand - he's just talking with a Scots accent, that's all. Believe me, there are some with a very strong accent that I haven't a cat-in-hell's chance of understanding. He is, in my mind, one very fine fly-tyer!

Post 17 May 2008, 08:14 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
ecowarrior12 wrote:
I personally don't find him difficult to understand

heh.
me neither.

It was just an attempt at some humour.
The Scots get such a bad wrap in America for being indecernable.

and Brad Pitt didn't help matters any, in 'Snatch' ... Image

Quote:
He is, in my mind, one very fine fly-tyer!
*absolutely*!
My only criticism,
is that he makes it all look so damn *easy* ...

Post 17 May 2008, 08:31 • #23 
Administrator
I put back the link to the KWSU public TV site. The link is to an index page that discusses the origin of the videos and grants access. This appears to be an amazing resource for fly tiers. I may have to set up my wife's laptop next to the fly tying desk.

The same goes for Davie McPhail's videos. Mr. McPhail gave us permission to create a direct link. Yes, Davie has a bit of a Scottish brogue, but his dialect of English is closer to the original than mine. The camera view of these videos is a close up of the fly under construction, so the details are visible. This camera technique is a very smart way to overcome the limits of the YouTube technology. The amazing thing is watching Davie's hands. The hand motions are very efficient. Davie is showing materials, explaining his methods, and displaying the fly in progress from a couple of angles, and he still ties faster than me! Good stuff!

One last reason for permission to create links is simple courtesy. Even if someone has posted their material on YouTube with no restrictions, please send them a PM or e-mail to say "I like your video. May I please show it to my friends?" Davie McPhail's videos are a perfect example of the Internet at its best.

Tom

Post 17 May 2008, 09:06 • #24 
The KWSU videos have been my staple viewing whenever I'm fly-tying. I tie just to the left of my desktop pc here at home, so can watch and tie at the same time. I love 'em. They start off in the early series with Dave Engerbretson co-hosting, but after about series 3 he sadly died, so they brought in the (also excellent) Carolyn Sells. Hope they make more series in the future. I downloaded every one of the available episodes to my desktop and it came to 12Gb of files over 24 hours! Invaluable resource.

However, Davie M is, in my view, in a class of his own. You watch his wraps. Nothing is haphazard about what he does. It's touching turns down, touching turns up, every direction change is for a reason, not just haphazardly wrapping.

And the more I try to tie his blue buzzer ... the less mine look like his!

Post 31 May 2008, 03:16 • #25 
Master Guide
Quote:
RE> "The general policy towards copyrighted video is, "Unless YOU own the copyright, please do not link to it."

I think you're wrong about this.
I think this issue has not in any way been officially or legally resolved.
You cannot copy copyrighted material. But making a link is not copying.

More over, when and if this issue ever does get officially resolved, it will inevitably be resolved to the
consumer's liking. You can't stop a tidal wave. You have to adjust to it. Laws have to adjust over time to evolving
cultural values anyway. But in this case there was no law or clearcut legal interpretation.
This is a new issue arising out of new, unforeseen technological advances, so there is as yet no
clear cut legal interpretation of what a hyperlink constitutes.

Sharing music has never been fully resolved either, for that matter. Napster was closed down
because the Napster people were making a profit on the shared music--not directly on the downloads, which were free, but they were profiting from related advertising.

So that leaves open the more interesting question: is music sharing
OK when no profit or transaction of any kind is involved?

For instance I think I should be able to make a cassette tape of my favorite songs, and send it to my daughter as
a Christmas present. And I should also be able to do that with a cdrom or dvd. In fact I do, frequently.
And ain't nobody gonna stop me either :-)

Finally: back to deep linking. Google does it all the time. It is there policy to remove any deep link
the page owner complains about, but they're careful to say this does not constitute any admission
of copyright infringement. It's just their policy. So ... at the very least, the "general rule of thumb"
about deep linking is "do your thing." In those rare cases where some fool complains, consider removing
the link. But consider that then and only then.

... people deep link to my website all the time. Occasionally I write to them to say "thanks."

But usually I don't say anything at all.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply