It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:10

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's in your vise?
Post 22 Oct 2015, 16:57 • #101 
Master Guide
Shush now, don't tell these people about quail feathers for soft hackles. Some things are better left alone :)

Tim

Post 31 Dec 2015, 17:50 • #102 
Glass Fanatic
Another variation of my steelie reverse spider I tied up for a swap. One of the guys in the swap was fortunate enough to stick a steelhead over the weekend with it, which was great to hear considering I had never really gotten around to testing this particular version. great presence in the water and great movement...

Cheers

Post 31 Dec 2015, 18:43 • #103 
Master Guide
Flymphs, Drymphs, soft hackles, you name it :

I fish very often such flies, in my heavily pressures waters. I tied 60 flies today for today fishing: it's already Jan. 1st 2016 here in Italy. Best wishes my friends.

Post 03 Jan 2016, 12:53 • #104 
Master Guide

Been filling up missing soft hackle slots, and I've been playing around using synthetic materials in a dubbing loop in place of hackle feathers for collars. I'm trying to develop a fly that imitates an inline spinner - to that effect I've been using Lite Brite dubbing as the main collar material since it comes in silver and gold - my two favorite spinner blade colors. The flies I've come up with are pretty ugly, but I don' think the fish will mind. Must get them wet to try them out though - and I need to refine the process to pretty them up.

I'm also replacing my "suspending boobie buggers"

I use craft fur tails and estaz palmered for the body - skipping any under body. The boobie eyes are foam trimmed short - just a bit wider than the body. Just enough foam to achieve a neutral buoyancy. I fish these on both floating and sink tip lines. I also tie them with larger foam eyes for traditional boobie action. Black is my most used and favored color - but I also tie in olive and black / red. Eye color doesn't seem to matter - but I usually do white or yellow for just a bit of contrast, though I'll use whatever foam I have on hand. For more buoyancy, since I use flat foam (one sheet cost about 1/3 of the price of a small pack of round foam posts...) I pierce a square of foam in the middle, fold the foam with the bend toward the eye of the hook, then trap with the tying thread.

Post 15 Jan 2016, 16:28 • #105 
Guide
Sz. 6 Teeny Leech. Keeping it simple and very effective.

Mike

Post 16 Jan 2016, 14:48 • #106 
Master Guide
Winter time fantasy flies--right now.....

#20 Daiichi 1120
Senyo dubbing spun onto a needle, add tails, wind up to the front. Add the duck flank wing. Whip finish. Slide it off the needle.
Mount it on a hook.
Add a tuft of Zelon below the thorax area with a long loose figure eight wrap. Add glue to fix the hackle.

Post 16 Jan 2016, 14:58 • #107 
Glass Fanatic
pittendrigh,
I can not tell you how much I enjoy your tying. Your flies are innovative and thought provoking to say the least. I follow your posts on a couple of other sites as well.
Respectfully rvreclus

Last edited by rvreclus on 17 Jan 2016, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jan 2016, 07:34 • #108 
Master Guide
Thank you. I like this forum best. My oddball stuff fits in here. I'll try to participate here more often. Here's one to show I'm not just about small dry flies, although I do like tying them the most.

One way to define useful and practical for fly tying is to talk about fish catching flies that are quick cheap and easy to make. If it's dry flies you're making you can add floats well and dries off quickly too. The above isn't quick and easy. Fly tying is about fun too and fun isn't always about quick and easy. The above fly takes some hassle to make but it is one of the best big fish flies I've found.

Bend a thinnest possible stainless steel wire into a hook at one end. Put two vises face to face where one is a rotary and the other not, like a Nor and a Regal. Put a swivel in the Regal. Hook the wire loop in the swivel at one end. Clamp the other end of the wire in the Nor. Now, when you spin the Nor you spin the wire. Hook some spawn sack netting into the loop too, and some thread from a bobbin. Spin the wire, moving the bobbin from one end to the other so you lash the spawn sack onto the wire--to form a foundation for the fly. Lash on a snelled hook. Lash on a tail. Lash on a loooooooooong saddle hackle so the feather tip is tied on at the base of the tail. Wind the feather and the thread simultaneously, all the way to the other end while spinning the wire. Tie it off at the front. Walk the thread back to the tail and then forward again. Knot it off. Now you have a Swizzle Sticker that flexes from end to end.

This is a good big fish fly. Once you get the lathe built they're not hard to make.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 17 Jan 2016, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jan 2016, 08:05 • #109 
Glass Fanatic
Pitt,
I have to agree with RV that your flies are unique with creative use of materials in new combinations and using new construction methods. I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your patterns. the olive big eye above, cool looking pattern. How do you fish it? As a streamer?

Post 17 Jan 2016, 08:57 • #110 
Glass Fanatic
Agree Pitt, very thought provoking methods. Searching forum to see your other works. Still wrapping my mind around the wintertime fantasy fly in how you attach to a hook after sliding off needle. Durability?

Post 17 Jan 2016, 10:16 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
Pittendrigh,
I'm not sure but I believe I've seen you post that, or a very similar pattern, before. It inspired me to tie a saltwater pattern, in a reddish/purple brown fly, using ultra chenille, saddle hackles, and some dyed pheasant with bead chain eyes . I use it to mimic pile worms here on the West Coast beaches that I fish for perch and stripers.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 30 Jan 2016, 17:52 • #112 
Glass Fanatic
A few jointed 'wiggle' stones.

Post 31 Jan 2016, 12:19 • #113 
Master Guide
Soft hackles and dry flies were the name of the game for my last couple tying sessions:

On the soft hackles I wanted thin bodies and sparse hackles - only one or two turns of hackle. I did dark, medium, and light bodies plus a peacock (gotta have a peacock soft hackle). On the dark - I used a simple thread body in black 8/0 uni thread. The medium versions were brown or a medium toned yellowish olive. The light versions were a light creamy yellow, and a few light gray just for fun.

The dry flies were supposed to be catskill style that wound up getting heavier hackles, so they were a blend of catskill style dries and western style dries. Also tied up a few Ausable Bombers in the bunch - I have no idea what the fish think that fly is but they whack 'em pretty good.

Post 31 Jan 2016, 12:29 • #114 
Glass Fanatic
Two Humpy's

Post 11 Feb 2016, 21:08 • #115 
Glass Fanatic
This is similar to a stinger-style I posted before (I think), except it's tied on a classic style salmon hook size 1 and changed what I did under the marabou so that it has the appearance of more body to it when wet (stiffer hackle).

I'm thinking of naming it something along the lines of something simple, like "no fly zone" or something more along the lines of "Von Cam Killer"...I dunno, but it should get wet soon...

Cheers...

Post 11 Feb 2016, 22:33 • #116 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
Two Humpy's

Jay, those two Humpys are awesome! One of my favorite attractor dry flys! In bigger sizes (easier for me to tie), they splat down and draw fish from father away than many other flies I have. Thanks!

Post 11 Feb 2016, 23:32 • #117 
Guide
Tied a few versions of John Barr's SlumpBuster. I liked the pine squirrel strips much better than rabbit.
I did well today with the olive version, under and indicator . Try them..

Post 12 Feb 2016, 14:06 • #118 
Glass Fanatic
you "flung a cravin on me"; gotta tie some slump busters for brim and bass-p-

Post 18 Feb 2016, 18:32 • #119 
Glass Fanatic
These are going to get tested on Sunday tied to the end of my 7'6" Lami 4wt....since skwalas ARE out as evidenced by my son and I catching several adults last weekend out on the Deschutes.

edit: a couple of things I'm thinking (i.e. over-thinking) for this are the following: legs--seem too thick to me, probably doesn't matter; ribbing--I used copper wire, but I think something like a yellow powerpro or anything yellow would be more realistic, again, probably doesn't matter a lick; white wing--I left it long with the option of trimming shorter (pretty difficult going the other way) just for visibility's sake...again, probably doesn't make a bit of difference. It's funny, coming from someone who typically ties with the path of least resistance, I'm sure over-thinking this.

Last edited by clarkman23 on 18 Feb 2016, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Feb 2016, 19:17 • #120 
Glass Fanatic
Blue Charm wrote:
Flymphs, Drymphs, soft hackles, you name it :

I fish very often such flies, in my heavily pressures waters. I tied 60 flies today for today fishing: it's already Jan. 1st 2016 here in Italy. Best wishes my friends.

I'm sorry, but that's just damn impressive. talk about money for BWOs/PMDs/any small mayfly....you've got it right there!

Post 19 Feb 2016, 10:44 • #121 
Master Guide
Fly rod wigglers made with closed cell foam CA glue and clear plastic from a tomato container. Hook bead thread and a little marabou or flash. Sand paper to rough up the diving bill were ever glue is supposed to go.

Thin bills work best for moving water. Wider bills for still water. Where the leader exits the bill changes the action. Low down on the bill makes a deep diving high speed vibrator. High up on the bill makes a shallow running slow motion wobbler. If you want slow motion wobble down deep you have to use more weight.

They will flip over occasionally and eventually twist up the leader--if you don't use a barrel swivel 12" to 18" up the leader. Tiny ones are hard to make. But black magic effective.

Post 22 Feb 2016, 15:37 • #122 
Sport
Some Caddis Imitations from this past weekend:

Post 23 Feb 2016, 10:14 • #123 
Master Guide
Golden Stonefly Nymph...worked well on the Arkansas River in Colorado last Saturday

Post 23 Feb 2016, 11:26 • #124 
Glass Fanatic
Dang Robert, nice tie!!! I would expect to see that crawling around my fly box, it looks so good!

Post 23 Feb 2016, 12:32 • #125 
Glass Fanatic
Robert, you raised the bar very high.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply