It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:01

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's in your vise?
Post 21 Apr 2015, 10:14 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
flask and sandwich wrote:
I just started tying so I've been practicing on one of my all time favorites, the soft hackle pheasant tail. This one in size 18.

One issue that most beginner tiers (I have to include myself in that group, even though I've been doing it a while, my flies aren't especially clean) have is not tying their flies sparse enough. It looks like you've conquered that...agree that's a very very fishy PT.

Post 21 Apr 2015, 12:42 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
^ Good point. I dont tie sparse flies often, but really need to do so.

Post 23 Apr 2015, 21:49 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
I've tied SH peacock and SH with a pheasant tail barb for the body. Never saw one tied like that Clark. Not with a tail and thorax. The peacock works good during grannom hatches and again in the summer when beetles are going for a swim. I tried different pheasant tail colors ribbed with wire but still prefer silk. Let us know how it works.

Post 24 Apr 2015, 14:15 • #54 
Sport
scud dog wrote:
I've tied SH peacock and SH with a pheasant tail barb for the body. Never saw one tied like that Clark. Not with a tail and thorax. The peacock works good during grannom hatches and again in the summer when beetles are going for a swim. I tried different pheasant tail colors ribbed with wire but still prefer silk. Let us know how it works.

This pattern has always produced very well for me throughout spring and summer here on my local Croton watershed tailwaters. I suspect that my take on it, tied a little sparser and on a smaller hook, will work just as well if not better. But we'll see.

Thanks for the kind words guys---they boost this newbie fly tier's confidence.

Post 28 Apr 2015, 16:00 • #55 
Master Guide
I tie often, but don't post that much anymore. So here's few recent ties...

Emerging Danica
[Image
Lady Crab
Mullet
Emerging caddis
Twisted larva

Post 28 Apr 2015, 16:17 • #56 
Master Guide
Last Sunday found this caddis along the river:
Back to home, trying to imitate naturals:

And the super classic Henri Bresson's "Peute", in my personal way:

Post 13 May 2015, 12:41 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
My version of a "crawbugger" I tied up for smallmouth/trout/whatever...but mostly with smallmouth in mind.

Post 14 May 2015, 22:06 • #58 
Master Guide
Been working on these today....

Ducktail PMD tied with a Right Hackle

#20 DaiRiki 125
Duckflank abdomen
Duckflank wing
Snow Shoe Rabbit's foot hackle

Post 15 May 2015, 17:18 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
My preemptive strike (1) it is embarrassing to follow the great flies posted here and especially Sandy (2) my tying skills are lacking and unpracticed and (3) my macro skills are at best very poor. But I will contribute. :)
Some beadheads - the 6 on right I finished with Cure Goo (first time) and while they look cool I'm not crazy about the soft texture which will dull when handled
The other larger bugs have no Cure Goo
The small size 20 PT beadhead catches 90%++ of the cheeseland spotted dace, the larger flies acting as my split shot :lol

Post 16 May 2015, 09:29 • #60 
Master Guide
The goo on those nymphs is inneresting.

I'd like to figure out how to do something similar with a clear but soft gooey glue, rather than hard. I like the way they look

Post 16 May 2015, 10:05 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks! Most are larva lace bodied, one is crystal flash wound, and the bottom is simple thread with red wire. I've thought about using something like Softex (I think that is right) but still wonder how I would apply smoothly. Just have to get some and try.

Post 16 May 2015, 15:32 • #62 
Master Guide
Softex is pretty nasty. Lost brain cells and all. You could heat up clear, not yet dyed plastic worm molding resin and paint it on with a brush. But that's too much trouble. That stuff doesn't stink as badly as Softex. But it does smell bad enough I have to do all worm resin things out in my wood shop. Where my wife never ventures.

Although I seldom fish them much I do like lure making. It's sort of a side hobby. Perhaps I'll do more of it (lure fishing) someday. I make the bodies out of white closed cell foam. Make the diving bills out of plastic electronic parts containers. Paint the foam with "permanent markers" and then dip them in clear worm resin, to fix the colors, because permanent colors aren't permanent. Not on closed cell foam anyway.

......but the best way to fix magic marker colors on foam is with clear water based fabric cement. Hmmm. That might work on you nymphs. Look the same as UV glue but end up somewhat gooey and soft.

Post 16 May 2015, 18:52 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks pittendrigh, didn't realize water based fabric cement was flexible, but certainly logical that it would/should be, just never considered it.

Post 17 May 2015, 17:28 • #64 
Inactive
jhuskey wrote:
My preemptive strike (1) it is embarrassing to follow the great flies posted here and especially Sandy (2) my tying skills are lacking and unpracticed and (3) my macro skills are at best very poor. But I will contribute. :)
Some beadheads - the 6 on right I finished with Cure Goo (first time) and while they look cool I'm not crazy about the soft texture which will dull when handled
The other larger bugs have no Cure Goo
The small size 20 PT beadhead catches 90%++ of the cheeseland spotted dace, the larger flies acting as my split shot :lol

if you don't like the soft texture of CCG, you might give the Loon UV resins a shot. I use the Thin all the time. you can build it up a bit if you need to and then just hit it with a thin coat of Hard as Nails or something similar to get rid of any tack.

Post 17 May 2015, 19:38 • #65 
Sport
Been tying warm water flies, am going to be in Michigan for the entire month of June and will be fishing with my old fishing partner Bill McCroy. He has a place on a small lake and we will be hunting those wary gills as well as large mouth bass and crappie. We will also be chasing small mouth bass on the Huron River. So I have been a busy boy tying for the trip.

Post 20 May 2015, 14:06 • #66 
Guide
I'm planning on going after some carp this year so I tried my hand at tying up some backstabbers last night. I think they'll work on LMB/SMB as well.

Post 20 May 2015, 20:36 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
"if you don't like the soft texture of CCG, you might give the Loon UV resins a shot. I use the Thin all the time. you can build it up a bit if you need to and then just hit it with a thin coat of Hard as Nails or something similar to get rid of any tack."

Thanks dpenrod! Hard as Nails I got!

nicktrap, great looking streamers and foam poppers!

Windsor, I've never fly fished for carp, but have at least 500 bonefish and permit flies, which should work too. The backstabber is a neat fly!

Tied a size 16 midge, Cure Goo and then clear sparkle Hard as Nails over it - came out great! Simple black thread red wire beadhead. The size 16 short heavy hook should be a great trailing fly behind my "split shot" larger bugs. At least I hope! :P

The Hard as Nails works great BTW! No more gummy feel.

Post 23 May 2015, 21:02 • #68 
Sport
Another warm water fly in preparation for my upcoming trip to Michigan.

Post 31 May 2015, 20:56 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
just more reasons I like fishing 6+ wt rods...3

Post 02 Jun 2015, 09:50 • #70 
Guide
More carp flies here. I did these late last week. Some variations of John Montana's Hybrid.

Post 04 Jun 2015, 00:17 • #71 
Guide
My first Zoo Cougar will be bringing this with me to Montana in 3 weeks.
ImageImageImage

Post 09 Jun 2015, 10:20 • #72 
Guide
First time tying with foam. So many good patterns out there I went with one the guys over at FlyFishFood did a video tutorial for. The tan one was the first. The green one was the fourth. I got a little ambitions and did mono eyes (also a first).

Post 26 Jun 2015, 00:14 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
Along he same lines as whatever else I've been tying lately...

...just downsizing slightly. I have an ant pattern I like as well, but it's one of those where a fish decided to do one of those "toilet bowl" takes and remove it from my possession.

Post 26 Jun 2015, 01:56 • #74 
This fly is called an MC Caddis (Macrostemum Capense), which is an Airhead variation by Herman Botes.

Post 26 Jun 2015, 10:30 • #75 
Sport
Is that bubble wrap??

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply