It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:52

Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's in your vise?
Post 03 May 2022, 14:31 • #1251 
Glass Fanatic

hoping to do some pike fishing this year, reservoir opens May 7, thought I'd better get some big pike hairballs tied. There is a stinger hook on a trailing wire, hidden in the feathers. Every time I see a pike bite a fish, it clamps down on the middle of the fish first, so think the stinger might improve hookups.

if it actually catches fish it gets a name, either Gaudy Night or Artful Dodger..
loosely based on the pattern Niklaus Bauer ties here.

Post 06 May 2022, 09:15 • #1252 
Guide
My home water has very spooky, sizable Guadalupe Bass that will cast nary a glance at your offering during daylight hours. I plan on embarking on air raid at dusk.

This mousy Gurgler is constructed with Chicone's Crusher legs, Mouse Belly body wrap from Snake River Fly & the foam is from Sightcast Fishing on a sz 4 B10s. Very impresssed with the foam; pre-cut, dual color strips in a ton of colors. An added bonus is buying from a small Texas fly-fishing oriented business.
Tied this bug when I was stuck home on an off-day with Montezuma's Revenge. Due to the intestinal distress, I tied the foam in upside down:lol Oh well, it'll be more visible!

Post 28 May 2022, 17:06 • #1253 
Glass Fanatic
oh yeah, I like that mouse pattern & Doug, I'm really diggin' that pike fly!

Here's my latest iteration (e.g. tinkering with stuff that doesn't really need much tinkering) of my super simple baitfish pattern. I've got it down to 3 materials and with the dubbed head, that gives me some really nice subtle movement but with the stiffer tail (bucktail), I get a more consistent action I'm after with these little ~4" flies (kinda like a glide/jerk bait which works really well and it's my preferred way of fishing for bass). There's some grey pearl estaz for the body...it subtly comes out in the water, but probably not even necessary).

I fish almost exclusively white. Occasionally, I have fished the chartreuse (and of course, chartreuse works) but haven't ever fished any of these other colors, just wanted to add a little something extra. Oh, I also have done up a black/purple that has a few fish on it as well.

Edit: here are few more popping off my vise recently...

brightened up that top for a touch more visibility (to me)

Even in clear water, when you're sitting down, it's nice to have a touch of extra visibility to see the fly. Plus, it still retains that [mostly] black from below.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 16:40 • #1254 
Guide
Digging that Bauer-style Pike streamer. And Clark, your stuff is always top-notch!

This is a take on Glenn Ueda's Loco Moco carp fly. This variation is meant for King Rio, if he can be found:(
Started with a #10 B10s, then the brass eyes with a little flattened lead wire to get down & smothered with Senyo's Laser Yarn. The foam tail is key. It's movement is meant to catch a target's eye. Sure hope it beguiles Ol' King Rio or @ least pisses him off :evil I call mine Loco Topo after the popular beverage here in the TX heat.
Quick vid on how to make the tail.
https://youtu.be/hIp_M7EWfok
If you lock up #locomocofly on IG, you will see this dude catches BEAST carp on this bug. And some other species to boot.

Post 14 Jun 2022, 14:59 • #1255 
Master Guide

Later Skater. Andrew Grillos is the originator. I'm going to try this pattern out in New Mexico.

Post 15 Jun 2022, 08:06 • #1256 
Glass Fanatic
Am a big fan of Andrew Grillos.Many of his flus or rather his style of tying have worked well for me .The hippy stomper has accounted for some big bass while bluegill fishing.I have also redesigned my foam spiders using the HS as the basic design.I feel all foam bugs should have some natural feathers as well.The fish seem to agree .

Post 15 Jun 2022, 13:42 • #1257 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
Here's my latest iteration (e.g. tinkering with stuff that doesn't really need much tinkering) of my super simple baitfish pattern. I've got it down to 3 materials and with the dubbed head, that gives me some really nice subtle movement but with the stiffer tail (bucktail), I get a more consistent action I'm after with these little ~4" flies (kinda like a glide/jerk bait which works really well and it's my preferred way of fishing for bass).

so what's the dubbed head material ?
for my super simple baitfish pattern, have a zonker body of flattened silver tube, palmered white marabou at the head, and either beadchain or lead eyes. It works well but I like the looks of yours..

took that pike fly out last weekend, casts surprisingly well on a 7wt Fenwick and Orvis Clearwater WF7. No fish though.. got a couple small pike, one on a crawfish fly, another on a basic black marabou/rabbit strip streamer..

Post 09 Jul 2022, 22:31 • #1258 
Glass Fanatic
"so what's the dubbed head material ?"

That's Titan Dubbing from Nightmare Musky Flies

I tie it in reverse, then brush out

edit:
Always tweaking with slight variations in materials and overall design. Went back to all natural (minus the minute amount of flash in there). Triple articulated singles that all came out right around 8" (that seems to mostly be the sweet spot for my local fish) with foam added on top and the hook bend...this helps keel the fly while causing it do do some extra movement when stripped hard. With the 3 sections, these will still move really well when twitched super slow (incredibly effective, but I can't do that all day as I tend to lose interest), but I like that a single fly can be used in such a wide range of retrieve methods. The tail is also removable so that if I want to extend the overall length with something that has a little more movement (or less), it's super easy to swap out.

Post 10 Jul 2022, 12:08 • #1259 
Sport
i've putting together bluegill clousers on size 8 3366 hooks with lead wire, white plastic beadchain eyes,white bucktail, topped off with grey squirrel and finished with a 1 1/2" of red poly flash for an enticing tail.

Post 16 Jul 2022, 12:51 • #1260 
Master Guide
Michigan pattern. Mattress Thrasher.

Post 16 Jul 2022, 14:44 • #1261 
Guide

A mix of striper flies and some for mackerel, scup, etc. I’m planning on some micro sight fishing in the salt late this summer.

Post 16 Jul 2022, 18:53 • #1262 
Sport

Post 18 Jul 2022, 14:55 • #1263 
Glass Fanatic
I had a stroke 3 months ago and tying random bass bugs is helping greatly with my rehab.I could not write my name after it happened.The first thing I did after surgery was had my wife drop me at a pond .It took me awhile to cover the 200 yard walk.I was able to get a cast out to 40 feet and got 2 10 inch bluegill.I had to then sit on the bank for 10 minutes I can cast and tie flies now and walk a pretty slow mile.Life is good.I have caught a few bass on senkos on gear but yet to get one on a fly rod.

Post 19 Jul 2022, 16:35 • #1264 
Sport

Post 19 Jul 2022, 17:04 • #1265 
Glass Fanatic
Well done!!! Looks like a Circus Mouse. ;)

Post 19 Jul 2022, 17:22 • #1266 
Sport
Thanks! I am done with these now for a while as I need to tie some that I would not care if they ended up in trees or by some small miracle, crushed by nighttime browns...

Post 14 Aug 2022, 14:04 • #1267 
Stim season on the west slope sierra. Here are some that have been fishing well for me. No dubbing, just different body materials. Barred ginger + grizzly hackle, sz 10 eagle claw 100 hook yellow thread.

Mirage body

Peacock over mirage

Pheasant tail

Post 17 Sep 2022, 11:33 • #1268 
Sport

Post 28 Oct 2022, 11:29 • #1269 
Glass Fanatic
A little 10" Fall/Winter pattern. Ahrex TP605 4/0 with 2 35mm shanks behind to help with the body. Nayat (Snowrunner) tail, mostly bucktail body, titan dubbed head. On my dark patterns, I've really gone to putting the lighter part of the head on top so that it's more visible to me on the retrieve. With my more natural patterns, I'll go with the standard dark over light like an actual baitfish.

Post 07 Nov 2022, 23:20 • #1270 
Guide
Taylor Streit’s Poundmeister. One of the most storied patterns in the southern Rockies and a must have on the Rio Grande:

I’m up to around a dozen species on this fly - three species of trout and many more warm water fish. Here’s the best video of Taylor tying his nymph:
https://youtu.be/Rpoutjy6LUE

Definitely tie some up this winter. Simple. Effective.

Post 22 Nov 2022, 02:20 • #1271 
Some recent flies

Woodcock and green sz - 14

CDC emerger sz - 18

Diamond braid parachute sz - 16

Jenning's grey fox sz - 10

Freestyle steelhead fly sz - 8

Post 26 Nov 2022, 21:54 • #1272 
Glass Fanatic
I've been in a bit of a tying funk lately. I hope I came out of it....Now I just need to figure out where to fish it....although, I have a few ideas.

Cheers!

Post 26 Nov 2022, 22:41 • #1273 
Glass Fanatic
Well done C Man

Post 26 Nov 2022, 23:39 • #1274 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks the hersh, I really appreciate the kind words.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 14:00 • #1275 
Guide
Extremely well done clarkman23! Those would work great on our river stripers here in eastern Oklahoma.

Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply