It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:40

Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's in your vise?
Post 06 Aug 2019, 09:26 • #801 
Glass Fanatic
Damn Brandon, great looking stuff (as usual)!

Post 13 Aug 2019, 01:07 • #802 
Glass Fanatic
I ordered some new eyes....so naturally, I had to try them out...

cheers!

Post 13 Aug 2019, 06:56 • #803 
Master Guide
ImageImage

More shrimp for The Atlantic Croaker, a fish seldom caught on anything artificial and one of the better ones for the table.

The shrimp pattern also gets Speckled trout, flounder and redfish, but it’s the pickier fish like croaker, whiting and sheepshead that measure how good a searching pattern really is. If it fools those fish, it will work on the others.

Post 13 Aug 2019, 08:48 • #804 
Glass Fanatic
karstopo wrote:
ImageImage

More shrimp for The Atlantic Croaker, a fish seldom caught on anything artificial and one of the better ones for the table.

The shrimp pattern also gets Speckled trout, flounder and redfish, but it’s the pickier fish like croaker, whiting and sheepshead that measure how good a searching pattern really is. If it fools those fish, it will work on the others.

Nice! I like how all of your flies are always so "buggy" looking...flies meant to catch fish, not people.

Post 13 Aug 2019, 10:33 • #805 
Master Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
karstopo wrote:
ImageImage

Nice! I like how all of your flies are always so "buggy" looking...flies meant to catch fish, not people.

I have to sort of comb and rearrange the fibers after a fish gets hold of one, but that's alright, the fly can almost always be put back into shape. It's not a pattern that fouls much. Eyes get ripped off by fish sometimes, but I can usually repair that with melting in a new one when I get back home. The rattles do eventually break if I hit the shell with them enough times and that does seem to lessen the attraction the fish have for the fly.

Live shrimp have lots of things going on underneath them with legs and other protrusions and things moving around constantly so that's what I was trying to duplicate with the shrimp, a smoother, relatively clean back and a busy front and underside. Shrimp tend to disappear in the water being somewhat translucent, but the eyes always pop and are visible from a distance. That characteristic lead me to the glass seed bead eyes that really show up in the water even if the EP fiber tends to blend in. Live Shrimp often swiftly swim backwards, with tail pulses, when fleeing a predator and this shrimp I do also can be made to swim and does swim backwards and rise up swiftly with a little sharp strip. The nature of the weighting (with the glass bead eyes counteracting the tungsten bead) causes the shrimp to rise up somewhat erratically which is also like the real deal. It settles back down after the strip in a mostly horizontal aspect, also like live shrimp. I pool test patterns to see how they move.

In my experience with these saltwater fish, the movement of the pattern counts for more than exactly resembling the static look of some critter like a crab or shrimp. Some shrimp and crabs flies out there look incredibly realistic, but do they move anything like the real deal might be the more important thing to determine. If I'm strictly sight fishing, I usually use something else like redfish crack or a Borski slider. The shrimp gets into action mainly when I see fish sign and especially if I see wild shrimp present and the water may not be particularly clear. It's a prospecting type of pattern that a lot of the local fish find appealing.

Post 18 Aug 2019, 18:12 • #806 

Tied using composite loops, imitating small 1-2 inch baitfish in the rivers that I fish, mostly for jungle perch hampala macrolepidota.

Post 19 Aug 2019, 08:18 • #807 
Glass Fanatic
bad8dog wrote:

Tied using composite loops, imitating small 1-2 inch baitfish in the rivers that I fish, mostly for jungle perch hampala macrolepidota.

sweet looking fly...I've done a few winter steelhead flies like that....man, they fish good!

Post 19 Aug 2019, 09:09 • #808 
clarkman23 wrote:
bad8dog wrote:

sweet looking fly...I've done a few winter steelhead flies like that....man, they fish good!

Yep...they fish really good :)

Post 26 Aug 2019, 10:05 • #809 
Glass Fanatic
I've started incorporating bucktail into more than just my musky flies...

Here's a trouty streamer without a ton of material but when wet has the impression of that bulk. Plus, they're super easy to cast...

Dry:
Wet:

Cheers!

Post 26 Aug 2019, 10:26 • #810 
Glass Fanatic
Looks good!

Post 08 Sep 2019, 17:03 • #811 
Master Guide

More of these. Fish like them, but they don’t last forever.

Post 11 Sep 2019, 07:36 • #812 
Master Guide

There’s virtually nothing these won’t get for the inshore saltwater. Even more versatile than a clouser in my experience. Sometimes, color seems to matter. I think the name “bonefish” attached to them keeps them from being more widely used along the Gulf of Mexico region.

Post 21 Sep 2019, 08:47 • #813 
Glass Fanatic
This came off of my vise yesterday in hopes of finding the corner of a Bull Trout's mouth tomorrow...or that of an overly ambitious 'Bow. I'm not picky.

Post 26 Sep 2019, 19:56 • #814 
Sport
A few coffins..

Post 26 Sep 2019, 21:04 • #815 
Glass Fanatic
Nicely done!

Post 11 Oct 2019, 22:09 • #816 
Glass Fanatic
I recently grabbed some of the frankenfly monster dub. With the longer fibers, it's easier to build a larger water pushing head...

Fur, feathers, flash.

Post 19 Oct 2019, 20:44 • #817 
Glass Fanatic
Chew toy stimulator, thinking about the October Caddis

Snowshoe hare dubbing, midge krystal flash, #12 Firehole 718 hooks

Post 19 Oct 2019, 21:25 • #818 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata, I was on the Merced last weekend and saw a few Caddis big enough to pose a flight-safety hazard for aircraft. Those Stimulators oughtta work.

Post 20 Oct 2019, 06:02 • #819 
Glass Fanatic
Good to know ! I hope you enjoyed it and had a good trip. (heading out early this morning, over the pass)

Post 22 Oct 2019, 12:14 • #820 
Piscator
nothing to it
Decades of saltwater night-lite dock fishing, this whistler is the most effective, and imitates glass minnows to swimming crabs.
Size 6 stainless hook, I tie some with medium and some with large stainless bead chain.
for a change-up, I'll fish small Hi-ties.

Post 22 Oct 2019, 22:28 • #821 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:

I think that'll catch just about anything that swims. I fish those for surf perch, salmon, steelhead...sometimes the colors change a little, but it just flat out works...kinda like the ubiquitous woolly bugger.

Post 23 Oct 2019, 06:51 • #822 
Piscator
these are zing-them-out flies, simple to tie and a variation on the very first white bass flies I ever learned to tie copying Billy Trimble's flies (1980).

A photo from Arroyo City last Nov with my 8' 1960 Harnell 7-wt and fat Arroyo nursery trout.
Will be back there in 8 days for the glorious dock fishing and morning power boat runs to LLM, with my 90-y-o dad.

Post 30 Oct 2019, 22:35 • #823 
Glass Fanatic
This is basically an articulated Buford, but with a dubbed head instead of spun bucktail (guess that means it's not a Buford....but everything else is tied the same)...

Post 31 Oct 2019, 07:36 • #824 
Sport
7/0 Billfish Fly

Sample for a customer to try. Image

Post 13 Nov 2019, 19:57 • #825 
Glass Fanatic
Different color combo than I normally fish. I played around with how I (un)weighted this one to make it walk the dog even more than my other iterations of it. I also tied in the majority of the bucktail in reverse to give it a little more bulk when wet....always tinkering.

Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply