It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:44

Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's in your vise?
Post 23 Dec 2022, 10:43 • #1276 
Glass Fanatic
A couple of sculpins. One for swinging, one for more active fishing.

Cheers!

Post 23 Dec 2022, 15:23 • #1277 
Glass Fanatic
What size Cman?Those will move some water.

Post 23 Dec 2022, 18:26 • #1278 
Glass Fanatic
They're both about 4". The one with the stinger has a size 4 stinger (seems quite small) off of the back of a Chocklett big game shank (28mm) and the one on the shank is an Ahrex Aberdeen Predator 1/0 (long shank, thin wire, smaller hook gap than a typical 1/0---but still not all that small).

Post 24 Dec 2022, 16:29 • #1279 
Master Guide
Those are stupid cool man. I bet they look great in the water, even better buried in a toothy Jaw

Post 25 Dec 2022, 02:23 • #1280 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks! I haven't fished the bottom one, but the top one did manage to find the corner of a Deschutes steelhead's mouth last week....just didn't stick for very long....oh well.

I'd like to think I kinda have that profile down...

It should be noted that neither of these photos are mine, but pulled off the interwebs.

Post 25 Dec 2022, 09:32 • #1281 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Cman.We have round goby here.Invasive but have become the main food source for smallmouth especially in Lake Michigan.The smallest have gotten big and fat on them.Tò dèp th I to flyfish for them at least for me.Your flies have the right look and profile. The gobies look like a big sculpin.

Post 10 Jan 2023, 00:06 • #1282 
Sport
I've been playing with hot glue sticks as a tying material...

Caddis larvae and pupa...

Tiny black ant and Red Tag variant...

I should tie couple of Bloodworms too.

Post 11 Jan 2023, 17:41 • #1283 
Glass Fanatic
Those look great - how quickly does the hot glue set up? A low melt point maybe? (making it set fast)

Post 11 Jan 2023, 22:26 • #1284 
Sport
Thanks. It depends on the sticks but once you make the body it dries and become stiff very fast.

If I rib the fly with monofilament to get segmentation, with some sticks I have enough time to remove the mono, with some I don't.

Post 13 Jan 2023, 14:07 • #1285 
Glass Fanatic
Sometimes we fish for bass here in these Ozark Mountains :

Post 13 Jan 2023, 14:45 • #1286 
Glass Fanatic
Brian- premade body or your own creation?I use a lot of bass bugs some flymen but mosly my own from balsa.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 07:08 • #1287 
Glass Fanatic
Wapsi premade body - with hooks!
Might UV Coat this one for protection.
Colored it up with a couple Sharpies - we will see if the fish notice.
Schmucker Tip - put an eye on the bottom of your popper.. them fish notice that quick!

Let's see them balsa's some time, hersh.

Speaking of scuplins... and basses... and sneaking onto summertime golf course ponds.
(one day a week they close for greens maintenance - ask if you can fish)

Post 15 Jan 2023, 10:09 • #1288 
Guide
Henryville Special, cdc wing variant, #14

Post 18 Jan 2023, 14:18 • #1289 
Guide
Fantastic sculpin patten! Excellent clarkman23.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 12:53 • #1290 
Glass Fanatic
[quote="Brian Shaffer"]Wapsi premade body - with hooks!
Might UV Coat this one for protection.
Colored it up with a couple Sharpies - we will see if the fish notice.
Schmucker Tip - put an eye on the bottom of your popper.. them fish notice that quick!

Let's see them balsa's some time, hersh.

Speaking of scuplins... and basses... and sneaking onto summertime golf course ponds.
(one day a week they close for greens maintenance - ask if you can fish)
Brian this is the last of the premade bodies i have.Had about a dozen at one time.Hard black foam molded onto the hook.This one is quite battle scarred and i can't count how many bass this one and the ones like have caught.I fish these like old school top water lures.Let em sit and twitch.These days i throw them on top of the slop.Exciting when you see that bulge moving in on them.

Here are my simple balsa poppers,they deviate from the premade but the angle of the face seems to matter the most.I have a bunch of the Flymen popper bodies but they don't do as well.Our bass are highly pressured and seem to prefer subtle presentations.

[

Post 24 Jan 2023, 20:46 • #1291 
We had a Clouser tying night at our local Project Healing Waters chapter. I believe you can never have to many Clousers.
Pike flies have been in my vise for our annual MN trip.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 10:55 • #1292 
I use "Shoe Goo" wok a little into the fly body then place the eye.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 11:40 • #1293 
Glass Fanatic
Another smaller tiger musky fly. More of a sucker/pikeminnow color scheme. My standard go-to is just a single, with a little bit of foam tied off the top of the hook bend to give some instability and a keel weight (small brass eyes) about 1/3 down the shank for both balance and keel. So when this is stripped, it'll both glide (slower strip) or jerk (faster strip/stop) and then gradually right itself (this is often a major trigger for the tigers that I fish for in our ultra clear water). I did all of that on this one, but for the body behind the hook, I added several 25mm shanks to provide even more movement on a constant strip (e.g. game changer style) with a light veil of Nayat (Snowrunner) on each shank. Cheers!

Post 16 Mar 2023, 07:15 • #1294 
Guide
Restocking the “Partridge and…“ section of my boxes. I like to add a little peacock thorax.

Post 16 Mar 2023, 13:37 • #1295 
Glass Fanatic
Nice classic ties,even the bluegills love them but the partridge does not hold up well.Have caught some spring stocked trout on them but the sunfish just won't let the trout have them.I do well on these and some deer hair bees bot tied on sz 12 barbless.

While i'm here anyone got a big dragon nymph pattern?I have tried several,Skip's dragon got a few fish but i need something bulkier that can also imitate the motion of these monsters.I have a place wher these hatch by the thousands.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 09:07 • #1296 
Glass Fanatic
"While i'm here anyone got a big dragon nymph pattern?I have tried several,Skip's dragon got a few fish but i need something bulkier that can also imitate the motion of these monsters.I have a place wher these hatch by the thousands."

In the past, I've had really great success with what basically amounts to an oversized soft hackle but for the abdomen I used crosscut olive/black rabbit. I have no clue where any of those are, but I seem to recall using a lot of pheasant in it too so I could get some good mottling.

Post 17 Mar 2023, 12:24 • #1297 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks C-Man.I am trying to figure something out to use before they hatch.All the fish inthis little lake must gorge themselves on these huge nymphs.Just judging by the number that make it to shore.This lake also has very big non native snails and i assume the dragon nymphs feed on them.Throughout the summer it is quite a show as there are so many dragons and damsels at this lake.I have yet to witness the actual hatch.All kinds of dragon and damsel nymph patterns out there but none as big as these.I do not see these sheds on any nearby waters.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 08:56 • #1298 
Master Guide
I have great luck with a rubber leg dragon as a dragon fly imitation, but it is a little longer and slimmer than the bug in your photo. Perhaps a heavier chenille would allow you to approach that profile with a rubber leg dragon?

I also like to tie size 10 pheasant tails with black pheasant and beadchain eyes, peacock thorax. I find these to be very effective for panfish and bass. Im sure they take it as a dragon fly nymph, but I suspect it looks a little bit like a lot of things

Post 18 Mar 2023, 12:06 • #1299 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys,every year i see these sheds and am trying to time by water temp when these little monsters head for the shallows,A local theory is these nymphs do so well is the abudance of these very big snails.Have found some nearly half dollar size.They are not native and i guess the birds are spreading them.I take my grandsons to this lake often and have yet to see one of the dragon nymphs in the shallows.I have only seen the sheds and at first thought they were cicadas,we had a minor emergance that year.But cicadas do not hatch from water.It took a few moments to realize the big dragon flies buzzing around by the 100s were the same bugs.I love this stuff.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 17:44 • #1300 
Guide
I have a fondness for some of Charles Brooks' patterns. I tie his Assam Dragon with with strips of sheared fur (mink, I suspect) that I picked up somewhere.

It's a great, rather bulky fly, which I always tie weighted. It became my go-to pattern when fishing Duck Creek in Yellowstone Park, where it dredged up some notable fish in the deep slow bends of that water.

I met Mr. Brooks in West Yellowstone in the 80s, and he seemed pleased to hear of my confidence in that big, scraggly ol' bug of his invention.

Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next New Topic Add Reply