It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:56

Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: What's in your vise?
Post 13 Jan 2022, 00:48 • #1201 
Glass Fanatic
Clarkman, I continue to be impressed with your streamers. One of these days, I'm going to use your flies as inspiration to chase some bass or maybe even upgrade to pike fishing.

So, this is what I settled on for my simplification of Amy's Ant. I cut out everything I thought the fish couldn't see from below or made the fly faster to tie. I'm calling it the Mostly Samey's Ant.

I use River Road Creations' tapered Chernobyl Ant body cutter for both layers of foam. I already had this one, but the rounded version would be slightly truer to the original Amy's Ant. The bottom is all estaz/cactus chenille, or whatever it's called these days. No trimmed hackle feather or dubbing for the abdomen. The krystal flash is gone for the wings, and I settled on a tan poly wing to mimic the elk/deer hair on the original (it'll compress some once it's been squished in my box). You could probably leave out the back legs without any change in effectiveness, but I like having them for a bit more stability and movement. Who knows, I may cut them out at a later date.

It now ties pretty quickly, one of the fastest foam flies I keep stocked in my boxes. I think it takes about the same amount of time as a Chubby.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 07:06 • #1202 
This looks like a great fly. I'm going to have to tie a few in different colors

Post 14 Jan 2022, 10:53 • #1203 
Glass Fanatic
@GlacierRambler, I appreciate the kind words. Honestly, there's nothing I'm doing with them that's all that original, but little parts taken from some of the masters of more modern (and some historical) streamer fly designers. For most of my streamers, I'm shooting for a specific action, either side to side (kind of like a dying motion) or up and down. That's where it's fun to incorporate small differences to make them do these certain things (comes more into play with the side to side, walking the dog type action). Much of this comes to the fly design, but some also comes down to how one is stripping the fly. I also go through phases with materials, but I'm nearly coming full circle and utilizing fewer synthetics (although there are some that I love for tails) and getting back to the old basic recipe of fur/feathers/flash--yeah yeah, I know that flash is a synthetic.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 13:58 • #1204 
Glass Fanatic
No ,leave all the legs on.I f you want a stouter shorter body type tie some hippy stompers.Another easy tie that seems to attract several species and i fish more like a foam spider in still water.The chernobyl ant and all the variations of it are a great stream fly,the 2 sets of legs i believe is the trigger as they wiggle just a little on a dead drift,i use them and a bigger version,aka mr wiggles for smallmouths rock bass etc.Most of the stream and creek access is now posted so i really don;t get to fish them too much anymore.Thanks for sharing guys,not tying at the moment but will be soon.I have had some success with a couple new concepts i will share soon.One of them i will be trying at a warmwater discharge that stacks the shad all winter which brings in the pike and rumors of muskies returning to their historic areas.Muskies are river fish after all but thrive and get bigger in lakes.

Post 17 Jan 2022, 07:34 • #1205 
Sport
A friend at work told me his son, who goes to college in CO, is learning to flyfish. I wanted to give him a 2-dozen fly starter selection and knew I had to include a few dry flies. Not what I normally tie, so way out of my comfort zone, but good for me to try.

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 17 Jan 2022, 12:32 • #1206 
Master Guide
Mainly Smallie snacks

1.5 - 2” streamers. I even cast these on spinning rods.

Post 17 Jan 2022, 15:28 • #1207 
Glass Fanatic
:like

Especially the helgy looking bug

Post 23 Jan 2022, 20:50 • #1208 
Guide
Driftless wrote:
Very nice, BigHeavy! What size hook is that?

Thanks man. Sorry for the delayed response but that’s a #16, Klinkhammer-style hook

Post 29 Jan 2022, 06:35 • #1209 
Sport
Here is a soft hackle, sparkle pupa alternative. This is from The Feather Bender's Flytying Techniques by Barry Ord Clark.

Antron Caddis Pupa
Hook: Partridge Caddis K2BY - size 12
Thread: Uni 8/0 - Olive
Abdomen: Antron - Caddis Green
Twisted then wrapped & covered with UV cure
Thorax: Ice Dub - Olive Brown
Combed back to represent the shuck
AZ Simi Seal - black Peacock
Hackle: Partridge dyed olive
Fibers removed from 1 side to make it sparse
Head: Thread colored black with Pantone marker
Head cement: Orvis - water based

You can view the tying demo here:

youtu.be/uxVCLf7vuy8

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 29 Jan 2022, 09:57 • #1210 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking trout flies & smallie snacks!

I've been playing around with Snowrunner (nayat) for some of my musky fly tails. I'm giving them a swim today to see how they look in the water and how well they shed water.

Cheers!

Post 29 Jan 2022, 10:06 • #1211 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23, you fish your Tigers with heavy mono/fluoro bite tippet? Great looking big flies!

Post 29 Jan 2022, 11:08 • #1212 
Glass Fanatic
I go back and forth. usually heavy fluoro. Last year, it was all wire, and I had one of my worst (in terms of numbers) years in a while, so I'm going back to heavy fluoro....along the lines of what Brad Bohen (one of the godfathers of modern musky fly fishing) with 50-80lb. Generally speaking, if it's going to cut through 50, it would also cut through 80 or 100 (50 is far far easier to tie). If their teeth were like a Barracuda's teeth in that they had a saw-edge, I'd stick with wire. So far, I've never been bit off on fluoro (knock on wood), but Brad says that he looses 1% of fish due to bite-offs. If that means I can boat an additional 10 fish a year, I'll take that. I'm always fishing barbless, so there's a very minimal chance of leaving a fly in a fish. Always a balancing act.

Post 29 Jan 2022, 12:03 • #1213 
Glass Fanatic
Good anecdotal evidence you are making the right choice with fluoro. I only fished wire when I targeted toothies, maybe that explains my track record. This old guy can't chuck that stuff anymore. Thanks and Best Regards.

Post 29 Jan 2022, 13:58 • #1214 
Glass Fanatic

QTpie

Post 29 Jan 2022, 19:22 • #1215 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
Good anecdotal evidence you are making the right choice with fluoro. I only fished wire when I targeted toothies, maybe that explains my track record. This old guy can't chuck that stuff anymore. Thanks and Best Regards.

I sure as hell know that I'll never do an actual scientific experiment to that end....so, anecdotal it is!!! lol.

you've got something coming in the mail this next week!

Post 29 Jan 2022, 21:05 • #1216 
Glass Fanatic
:D I found a couple big flies you might like, and will send them on at some point. Thank you Sir!

Post 15 Feb 2022, 19:29 • #1217 
Master Guide
Getting ready for bass season here in north Georgia. This is a small Flymen double barrel popper tied on a size 4 Gamakatsu B10S. I used estaz for the collar simply because I was out of black saddle hackle, but I actually like the extra flash of the estaz.

The small size double barrel popper body seems to be a good size to weed out tiny bluegills but still attract bass. These were tied specifically for redeye bass native to Georgia and Alabama that rarely exceed 12”.

Post 15 Feb 2022, 20:52 • #1218 
Glass Fanatic
Hell yeah! I love those little poppers!

Add another to the pile of "must swim" my next time out.

here are the stats: multiple stacks of bucktail (afterdark & purple from PrimoTail), tail of bucktail with an overlay of Icelandic sheep, only included a couple of sections where I added some purple/black flash (I'm one who tends to go on the lighter side of flash), foam disc (I've come to like these more than the reverse popper style as my movement is just flat out better plus lower cost), titan dubbed head. All of this is tied on a 55mm shank with a free-flowing Owner 3/0 herring hook at the back of that. It came out at 9".

Post 24 Feb 2022, 11:36 • #1219 
Sport
I tied this for a swap on another Forum. I've had success with this pattern during the Grannom hatch on the White River in northcentral Arkansas.

Green-butt Caddis:

Hook: Partridge K2B - Size 12
Thread: Black or olive (Uni 8/0)
Tag & Ribbing: Ultra Wire (Small) - Chartreuse
Body: Peacock herl (2 strands wrapped together)
Hackle: Partridge (Brown) - 2 turns

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 24 Feb 2022, 18:01 • #1220 
Sport
Two prototypes.

The black, silver ribbed, soft hackle has been very good on our local tea coloured streams. This one is tied on a jig hook, hopefully to snag less when fished with a drop shot- we'll see. The second is based on reading about trout vision and colour absorption in tannin water. A wine bodied, orange head, black soft hackle, with a black dubbing thorax (which it probably doesn't need). I don't have the materials to hand, but the body would be wine thread ribbed with black wire? Happy to take suggestions. The general view seems to be, in coloured water, contrast is all important and colour less so.

Colour swatch tests have been done down to 150 feet but I tested this in a deep glass (9 or 10") of cold tea, with a range of materials at hand- The swatch in air and clear tap water then darker levels of tannin. Light from the side of the glass may bias the results a little but the effect can be seen. Interestingly, the gold coppery wire filters to silver. Yellow very quickly fades. Reds remain. moreso and dark shades of green and blue tend to black.

Last edited by grc1 on 27 Feb 2022, 06:50, edited 2 times in total.

Post 24 Feb 2022, 20:35 • #1221 
Glass Fanatic
Nice ties grc1. I’m curious as to where your “local tea coloured streams” are. The spelling still leaves a few of continents as possibilities. But using the user control panel (upper right of the screen) you can add a general location to your profile that will show up on all your posts.

For what it’s worth, in tannin stained water I’ve luck with light colors, but those weren’t trout.

Post 24 Feb 2022, 23:16 • #1222 
Sport
Thanks. Those small details, like where in the world are you, make all the difference. The hilly / mountainous southern reaches of mainland Australia. Not far from Melbourne. The colour thing is still a bit of a mystery but I gather, size and behaviour are the main triggers. Most fish seem to take the black soft hackle on the drop, rise or swing.

Post 01 Mar 2022, 20:09 • #1223 
Glass Fanatic
Here's what came off my vise during tonight's session....

Post 01 Mar 2022, 21:33 • #1224 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome colors! Salute to Freedom!

Post 03 Mar 2022, 01:09 • #1225 

A small soft hackle. TMC 100 size 24. Dubbed body and starling wing.

Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply