Post 13 Nov 2021, 20:43 • #1176 
Guide
jhuskey wrote:
Great looking fly BigHeavy!

Thanks man, Cheers!

Re: What's in your vise?
Post 20 Nov 2021, 08:46 • #1177 
Glass Fanatic
Theoretically they should but their forage is also extremely prevalent. While they can't spawn, they do go through the motions in early Spring so there is that. That said, my best time of year on the catching side of things is always late Spring/early Summer & my largest ones nearly always some around this time of year (just not this year).

edit:
I've never tied with sculpin helmets before, So far, I like them. We'll see after I swim it....

Cheers!

Post 20 Nov 2021, 09:52 • #1178 
Glass Fanatic
Rudolph the red nosed sculpin/racoon.

Post 20 Nov 2021, 10:45 • #1179 
Glass Fanatic
lol, yeah I was too lazy to find my olive or black thread.

Post 21 Nov 2021, 00:01 • #1180 
Master Guide
Nice streamer, Clarkman. What kind of dubbing did you use for the collar behind the sculpin helmet? I normally use cross cut rabbit for the collar on similar flies, but I’ve been looking for an alternative.

I think you’ll like how the shape of the sculpin helmet keeps the hook pointing up while fishing those flies.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 19:36 • #1181 
Glass Fanatic
thx, it's just an EP brush. Hook is an Ahrex bent streamer hook. I've been fishing them some this year for smallies and really like them.

edit: I really can't wait to get this Optimus Swine wet. The originator of the pattern (I've taken a couple of liberties with substitutions of synthetics) is Eli Berant who came up with it by adding a reversed popper head closer to the hook bend to basically make the fly neutrally buoyant and make it to where he could easily get away with fewer materials. What he didn't count on was that for some reason, that foam hidden in there, made a fly that already had great walk-the-dog action, really walk-the-dog....as in 2-3' per side. It's really quite remarkable. Hook is an Ahrex trout predator lite, 4/0. Just a fantastic streamer hook.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 19:49 • #1182 
Glass Fanatic
Wow C-Man,that is as big as Chicago ally rat.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 23:25 • #1183 
Master Guide
Whoa - a reversed popper head at the hook bend is an interesting idea. I may need to do some research and experimentation on a scaled down small 4-5” version.

Post 11 Dec 2021, 19:33 • #1184 
Glass Fanatic
lol. fortunately, they cast way easier than a rat. In fact, that reverse popper head takes up a bunch of space that would otherwise likely be occupied by some other material, so they're even lighter and easier to cast...

El Duderino, yeah, I've thought about that, in fact I may experiment a little this spring for smallies.

Here's a couple latest additions to the family of Optimus Swines...

same black with purple, white, and "cotton candy"

On the white, I didn't have many feathers (or any long un-dyed grizzly saddles), so I went a little thin on those, but made up for it with the tail that's all snow runner. It won't shed water quite as well as the others, but it won't be too bad & the movement will be even better.

Cheers!

Post 12 Dec 2021, 07:31 • #1185 
Sport
Leisenring March Brown
Hook: TMC 3761 - size 12
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer - Hot orange (#19)
Tail: Pheasant tail
Abdomen: Pheasant tail - twisted around thread
Rib: Gold wire - xs
Thorax: Hare's mask - split thread
Hackle: Partridge
Head cement: H & H

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 12 Dec 2021, 13:46 • #1186 
Guide
Beautiful tie FFM1955!

Jeff

Post 12 Dec 2021, 13:48 • #1187 
Sport
Flatwings have been on the menu this week. After a number of mediocre results I tied a few that I'm happy with. I've never really fished with them but I'm looking forward to throwing them at stripers next fall.

Post 24 Dec 2021, 10:04 • #1188 
Sport
Hare's Ear & Plover
Hook: Partridge Dry Fly Supreme L5A/UE - size 12
Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer - Yellow (Lemon) #5
Abdomen: Hare's ear dubbing - split thread method
Hackle: Golden Plover
Head cement: H & H

Tight Lines- Ken

Post 26 Dec 2021, 20:14 • #1189 
Glass Fanatic
Nice flatwing! Nice soft hackles!

I'll fish flatwings a little bit for smallies. I should probably do it more because they work very well every time I use them.

I've been geeking out on some musky fly tying vids and this is an idea that I've tried before, but never really given a serious go of it.

Here's a good old fashioned Clarkman special with reverse popper instead of foam discs. I've played around with strung fuzzy fiber heads, spun bucktail heads, but I always come back to dubbed heads. They just do it for me....this is Titan dub from Nightmare Musky Flies. Getting back to a few more feathers, but still have a little bit of black squimpish fiber for more depth and length in the tail, a little bit of flash (but not too much).

but it's also tied on a shank with a split ring attached to the back end so you can customize whatever hook you like (nothing tied on the hook). This hook is an Owner Herring hook 3/0, a nice thinner wire hook that is super sharp. These are damn strong too (I used a few for tuna this last summer).

Cheers!

edit:
Well, since the Broncos game really sucked, I was able to fill up a box for a buddy who's going someplace warmer than we're currently at.

Post 29 Dec 2021, 08:41 • #1190 
Guide
Deer hair isn’t something I work with often. Been getting into it with these Sparkle Dun emergers.

Post 01 Jan 2022, 09:57 • #1191 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice, BigHeavy! What size hook is that?

Post 05 Jan 2022, 19:16 • #1192 
Glass Fanatic
a little topwater. shank/split ring, removable popper head complete with a custom message to whoever decides it looks tasty...

Post 06 Jan 2022, 01:01 • #1193 
Administrator
clarkman23 wrote:

Thanks! The custom message made me laugh.

Tom

Post 06 Jan 2022, 09:11 • #1194 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve been playing with simplifying Amy’s Ant.

Instead of custom cut foam, I used a body cutter, no hackle trimmed around the chenille, and a poly wing instead of deer/elk hair. I may even leave out the Krystal flash underwing on the next round.

Post 07 Jan 2022, 14:23 • #1195 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
a little topwater. shank/split ring, removable popper head complete with a custom message to whoever decides it looks tasty...

I really dig that design C-man.How about a little bit of info on how it is constructed.Love the paint job.That is by far the best shape for a big popper head.That is from the opinion of the bass not me.

Post 07 Jan 2022, 15:16 • #1196 
Glass Fanatic
I'll add more to this post (e.g. pictures) a little later when I can take a few. But, it's basically as follows: shank, split ring, free flowing hook. I'll go into a little more detail a little later as well. You should be able to see the cork well enough to see that it's simply drilled and slid over the thicker 'bite' tippet. Foam block heads are also commonly used in larger poppers, I just didn't have any at the time. I've made the commitment to get one of these tiger muskies on top this year. I dunno if it'll happen (even the other local folks who regularly target them say it never happens....I guess, challenge accepted...), But I'm going to give it much more attention than a couple of hours.

Last edited by clarkman23 on 07 Jan 2022, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Jan 2022, 15:57 • #1197 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Cman.I generally take balsa blocks and taper them down similar to a cork but leaving the underside flat for more hook clearance.I have seen muskies and large pike blow up on ducks and seagulls.A buddy who used to guide in Canada told of certain guides with deep pocket clients rigging a harness for bay ducks .Illegal even in the 70s but anything for a trophy i guess.Tiger muskies never took well in my area but both muskies and pike are native .Muskies are now naturally reproducing in some of the rivers again.I would be tying these much smaller but love the concept.Was thinking of using cork balls in a similar fashion.

Post 08 Jan 2022, 21:59 • #1198 
Master Guide
I like your idea to simplify the Amy’s ant. It’s one of my favorite dry flies, but I’ve always bought this pattern rather than tie it due to the overly complex tying instructions and materials. I doubt the fish will notice the difference.

GlacierRambler wrote:
I’ve been playing with simplifying Amy’s Ant.

Instead of custom cut foam, I used a body cutter, no hackle trimmed around the chenille, and a poly wing instead of deer/elk hair. I may even leave out the Krystal flash underwing on the next round.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 20:23 • #1199 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
I really dig that design C-man.How about a little bit of info on how it is constructed.Love the paint job.That is by far the best shape for a big popper head.That is from the opinion of the bass not me.

Ok,
here are the basic guts. The head is just drilled out so it can just be slid down the bite tippet on any fly if I choose. All materials are tied on the shank (the one pictured is a 35mm, but I use 55mm pretty frequently).

If I want more bulk in the bucktail section closer to the head, I'll just tie them in reverse.

As an aside, I'm still not totally sold on using split rings. On one hand, one could swap out to a different style of hook easily when the first wear out, but on the other hand, I can't remember the last time I've had a hook wear out before the actual fly materials.

edit: some additional things that just came off the vise...

smallie snacks...
a couple of variations that I've thrown up before plus two of my baitfish patterns that absolutely crush it out here. One is trash panda, the other is craft fur...

steelie snacks...
top is trash panda/bucktail mix and the bottom is mostly craft fur.

Cheers!

Post 12 Jan 2022, 14:56 • #1200 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again C-man.I like the articulated thing as the bass really smack and engulf a hard popper yet the hook up ratio is not good.I think the solid chunk of wood or cork glued to the hook is too rigid feeling and they hang on to it in a position that won't allow a good hook set.They then just spit the whole thing out.Bass large or smallmouth or a bluegill for that matter,can inhale and expel a bait faster than any human could react,Gonna try and make some micro poppers as the bluegills seem to have the same problem,they just grab the head of the popper and really never get hooked.

Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 56  Next New Topic Add Reply