It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:47

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Fly rod lures
Post 26 Jun 2014, 16:18 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I'd like to discuss fly rod lures.

It seems that perhaps at one point in flu fishing that fly rod lures may have been popular at some point. Whenever I search for vintage fly fishing gear it seems that you can guarantee fly rod lures will pop up every time.

I've never tried a true fly rod lure, but the closest to one I've used would probly be poppers for bass and gill.

Is there a reason these are no longer popular? And is anyone currantly routinely using them? And if so what's it like to fish them?

Thanks,
Jess

Re: Fly rod lures
Post 26 Jun 2014, 16:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Jess,
If you go to the NFLCC page you can see topics on these.
http://www.nflcc.org/
My own education has been on the book written by brothers John and Jim Muma on this topic. As you've probably learned that back in "the day" fly rod lures were basically mini versions of more popular lures such as mini spooks, lucky13, and so on. In all likelihood these were thrown on 8 1/2 foot rods requiring 8 weight lines, much like we see used on larger dahlberg and other poppers.

Today Colby Sorrels who authored a book on Langley reels has a good working knowledge on fly rod lures introduced me to the now defunct Mack's Tackle Workshop, a San Antonio based maker of flies and fly rod lures. At the time, this local Texas company employed local women to tie and build these lures. Many of the Mack's poppers were built with Hard bodies (perhaps cork) and deer hair wings which create much surface action when landing on water and performed well in enticing fish. Interestingly, Colby uses modern materials to recreate replicas which fish well on modern equipment and in my opinion would probably perform even better with glass sticks.

Les

Last edited by keebranch on 27 Jun 2014, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jun 2014, 19:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
People trolled some of them as well, the flatfish, for example. I think they just fell into disuse as lighter flyrods/lines/reels became available and popular, with equally effective methods and flies for the same species and waters. The fly rod lures suited the more casual fly rod user, but the recreational boom of the late 1960s and onward yielded so many changes that worked for novices and casual anglers, that the fly rod lures just didn't make the cut.

Post 27 Jun 2014, 07:29 • #4 
Guide
Back in the late 1950's, we used a lure called the Quilby minnow. It was deadly for bass. Also, I used a soft rubber molded hellgramite (hook was molded into the lure/fly) which was also effective for bass. And small spoons that were made by soldering a light wt. hook onto a spinner blade, particularly a willow leaf type blade.

Last edited by klingon1539 on 27 Jun 2014, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2014, 12:02 • #5 
Master Guide
I don't think that spinning/spincasting equipment became available widely until about 50-60 years ago or so. With the old standard baitcasting rods, lines, and reels it was tough to cast small lures, but fly gear could handle this task. Nowadays though anybody can easily pick up a spinning outfit at any store that sells sporting goods, and can quickly learn to cast the multitude of small lures which have taken the place of fly rod lures. Unless a person is totally dedicated to using only the fly rod, it's just easier and more efficient to cast lures with a spinning rod (although the fly rod lures will still work as well as they always did).

Post 27 Jun 2014, 14:18 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Golfswithwolves, thanks. I think you just reasoned out the bottom line: the rise of UL spinning made the fly rod lure obsolete. Around 1960, UL spinning, or spinfishing at all, was still quite new in the US, and early books about it still used the term "threadline," as the earliest spinning lines were fine braid. Monofilament hadn't been perfected yet and spinning gear still wasn't "everyman's" tackle.

Once it was by the late 1960s, I bet you are absolutely right. That spelled the end of the fly rod lure. Come to think of it, I had a few that were my grandfather's. He died about 1967, and when I first used them, it was with a spinning rod, even though I fly fished and knew he had fished them with his fly rods. I did continue to troll little leaf spinners with a fly rod for a few more years, but the spinning rod cast them better, too.

Post 28 Jun 2014, 09:58 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I've caught a lot of fish, especially river fish on the fly rod version of the lazy Ike. I have also bonked my head more than once and had to get someone to remove it from the middle of my back! Its like a Hoyt Welhelm knuckleball; you never quiet know where its going when you make that forward cast; but they'll catch fish-p-

Post 30 Jun 2014, 07:02 • #8 
Master Guide
Crank baits use a combination of a diving lip, buoyancy on the top side of the lure body and embedded weight down low to keep the lure from spinning around in a circle, so they wobble from side to side instead. You don't have to make a molded lure. You can snip a body shape out of buoyant closed cell foam with scissors. And then use epoxy or super glue to add a diving bill (snipped from a tomato container from Cosco). And then add weight down low, somehow, someway. Perhaps as a bead. Perhaps as flattened lead glued to the back side of the diving bill. The plastic bill has to be roughed up with sand paper at any glue spots. Else the glue won't hold.

Homemade crank baits can be made light, for use with a fly rod or heavy, for use with standard bass gear. Now that mass produced crank baits cost $5 to $10 a piece you'd think more bass fishermen would make their own. But most don't realize how easy it is. Most assume you have to make a $20,000 dollar mold first.
Ah. I forgot to mention. You need to make the diving bill way too big at first, so you can tune it (one time only) when you get to the water, by trimming it with toe nail clippers. If it swims to the right trim the left side of the bill.

Also, you can poke multiple holes in the diving bill. A hole down low on the bill makes a deeper diver with tight high-frequency wobble. A hole up high on the bill makes a more shallow diver with a wide, slow motion wobble. Weight on the leader is one way to get a slow motion wobbler down deep.

Finally. Here's an assertion I can't prove but I firmly believe in: Soft bodied crank baits work better than molded, hard bodied crank baits. Perhaps this has something to do with the lateral line sense organ. Perhaps fish can distinguish vibrations emanating from a rock hard chunk of plastic as different than a soft, squishy wobbler. The soft ones do seem to work better.

==> a few more <==

Last edited by pittendrigh on 09 Jul 2014, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Jul 2014, 04:05 • #9 
Sport
My thoughts on this is that they were mostly used for "trolling". I do know of a couple of people that still do this. They throw the fly/lure out into the water, lay the rod down on the boat floor, between their legs, and paddle around the lake. Those using a canoe just lay the rod down on the floor and paddle around. Age group of these guys I know... 75, so.... it's an "old school" way of fishing.

Post 03 Jul 2014, 08:29 • #10 
Master Guide
I started fly fishing in the mid 60's NJ and two sorts of fly rod lures were still popular: flyrod Flatfish and misc small spinners - some with a streamer or wet fly attached. IMHO, the ultralight spinning outfits that could throw very small lures didn't appear until the 70's when graphite rods and the better Japanese spinning reels took over. Before than we were mostly tossing #2 Mepps and Swiss Swing spinners and Phoebe Minnows with our fiberglass spinning rods and Mitchell reels. One of my buddies swore by a silver flyrod Flatfish with red spots and caught more than his fair share of very large browns. The clip on spinner blades were also very popular since it was easy to pair any fly or streamer. Tiny Hildebrand flicker spinners were also popular and could be used for shad. By the mid 70's the lighter spinning tackle improved and the fly rod lures vanished. It also seemed that spinning fishermen abandoned the wobbling lures and pretty much stuck to metal spoons and spinners. For the last decade though there seems to be a resurgence in using Rapalas and other minnow lures with great success and the fringe is trying jigs large and small, soft plastics, crayfish lures, and all sorts of bass lures. For example, when the dams on the Delaware system overflow and the large browns gorge on alewives one can use any number of bass lures that imitate alewives and catch plenty. Big trout love crayfish and bass and panfish anglers have come up with all sorts of effective crayfish lures.

Post 03 Jul 2014, 09:17 • #11 
Master Guide
I wish I could fish the Delaware now (having come up in New Jersey too). But now I'm stuck with Montana. I use the smallest "flyrod" flat fish on a fly rod some. A few times every year. I have a half a dozen spinning rods and never use them, except for trips to salt water. I'll have to change that.

Divers/wobblers on flyrods in moving water (creeks or rivers) don't typically work well unless you fish them down stream with a straight line. This limits their usefulness. But still. There is perhaps no better way to snake a big hook jawed brown out of a log jam, then to slowly swim a wiggler back and forth next to the logs, in a pocket of relatively still water, if you can find it, between the fast current and the logs. Boom. Ooooowwwwweeeey. Gonna have to do that again.

Spring fed creeks with a slow steady downstream flow few riffles and no fast water, are ideal places for tiny homemade wigglers. You might argue this isn't how you want to fish on a spring creek. Which is fine. Playing tweedy English gentleman with gossamer tippets and tiny rooster hackle mayflies is a fun way to fish. But so is wiggler fishing. I do both. When a spring creek hatch peters out on an early summer afternoon I put my small flies, tweed jacket pith helmet and briar pipe away for the day and replace them with checked shirt, overalls, chewing tobacco and tiny homemade wigglers. And have a blast.

Post 14 Jul 2014, 18:23 • #12 
I used Rocky & Mirrowlure minnows-I think plastic, about 1 to 1.5 inches long - caught a lot of bass for a 12 year old in the early 60's with a 6wt Shakespeare Wonderod.

Post 09 Sep 2014, 17:48 • #13 
Joe's Flies still makes straight-line spinners for the fly rod. There's an article at FlyFishOhio on these lures, (here: http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/Articl ... waters.htm ) while reading it a bell started ringing in my head. My parents bought a place in the Catskills in 1969 when I was thirteen; (do the math, I'm older now than I want to talk about), back then, these lures were all over the place; some of our neighbors up there sold tackle out of their living rooms and this type of lure went for under a dollar. Anyway, I started thinking that I had a couple of these in an old tackle box and sure enough, I was right. Three Joe's Flies in-line spinners with a single-hook wet fly on the end and a tiny treble hook stinger. I think I must have found them too light to cast with the spinning equipment I was using then (a Mitchell 300 and I don't remember what rod), by the time I started fly fishing I must have forgotten about them. I fully intend to test these by fishing them the way they were intended to be fished; unfortunately my last trip up to the W. Branch Delaware I was an hour into the ride when I realized I had left them sitting on my desk! I am going to test them in the next week or so and when I do, I will of course post the results here. In the meantime, read the article above, very interesting stuff.

Post 09 Sep 2014, 21:56 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to FFR Supgen!

I know exactly what inline spinners you're talking about, but I had no idea they were intended for the fly rod. My father has those and still uses them on occasion to cast them he puts a few split shots above them. I myself never liked the hook arrangement, to many hooks.

Post 09 Sep 2014, 22:16 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I have made crude wobbling fly lures from a simple elbow on a tree limb; carve em with your pocket knife; use a small treble or a live bait hook on the back with a hole in the lip; they work well in running water; not so much on a lake; you can whittle 4 and maybe one will run right; like the old lazy ike lures; caught lots of brim and bass on them. I read about doing this in one of the old field and stream magazines; tried it and it worked; although it was years ago when I was young and very smart!!!!!(joke)-p-

Post 10 Sep 2014, 08:56 • #16 
Piscator
In the days of the fly rod River Runt, et.al., 9' 7-wt cane rods were the norm.

I started fly fishing with a 9-wt. Wonderod to throw 1/64-oz. Rooster Tail and Panther-Martin spinners into white bass jumps - they were killer.
They worked equally well on Guadalupe bass.

I have a buddy who still fishes a Pistol Pete frequently, catching large rainbows and catches more warmouth than the rest of us.

Post 10 Sep 2014, 13:31 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
had the same luck on caddo; warmouth like pistol pete's, or close facsimiles-p-

Post 30 Sep 2019, 09:09 • #18 
Ever since I discovered the existence of fly rod lures, I've been fascinated with the idea. For one, they're just so darn neat, and there a so many varieties! Secondly, I like the idea of exploring a technique that was used by our fathers and grandfather that has been pushed to the side, for whatever reasons, but are still viable!

Here's my small collection of usable lures. I have a few more that are either too old or unusual so live on display in my office.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9a1I2TuPOK4T0ZpVkVyQ01uZDJuQnh0NU50cTlOZlhoYkRj/view?usp=sharing

Post 30 Sep 2019, 11:36 • #19 
Master Guide
Little plastic crappie and panfish jigs work well with fly rods. Something like a white or silver Salt and Pepper flake or black over white with a straight rat tail on a small 1/32 or 1/64 ounce lead head jig hook works across the species including wild cold water trout in a river. I've tried fly rod spoons, but casting and fishing those doesn't have a lot of appeal for me. Little inline rooster tail spinners panther martins, small hard rapala lipped surface or suspending minnows, I think it can all work depending on the circumstances.

What makes something a lure and not a "fly"? I have never been able to nail down where exactly to draw that line. I don't know if the various controlling jurisdictions agree on these distinctions either. If you can toss it with the fly rod and it is attractive to fish, it can work.

Post 30 Sep 2019, 15:06 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
The lines are pretty blurry indeed.With articulated streamers tied with 100% synthetic materials all the rage.I always have some fur or feather on every fly i fish,personal preference.Are jigs flies?My beloved local fly shop that closed during the recession had cards of little goldfish spoons that he sold regularly.He just kind of shrugged his shoulders as he was a great traditional tyer as well as the latest trends in flies.He claimed to tie 12000 flies a year and an employee who tied close to that.His shop was near some upscale areas and that;s who they catered too but always had time for clueless souls like me.I never really knew who bought the tiny spoons and what they used them for.I too have a bunch of fly rod lures and rubber bugs as well as old wood deer hair type bass bugs.My favorites are pflueger pippns and those little weber beetles made of tin and hair.

Post 30 Sep 2019, 16:44 • #21 
Master Guide
jhill71 wrote:
Ever since I discovered the existence of fly rod lures, I've been fascinated with the idea. For one, they're just so darn neat, and there a so many varieties! Secondly, I like the idea of exploring a technique that was used by our fathers and grandfather that has been pushed to the side, for whatever reasons, but are still viable!

Here's my small collection of usable lures. I have a few more that are either too old or unusual so live on display in my office.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9a1I2TuPOK4T0ZpVkVyQ01uZDJuQnh0NU50cTlOZlhoYkRj/view?usp=sharing

I like the idea, though I would suggest swapping all treble hooks for single barbless hooks, and I wonder if they could be used on flyfish only designated waters.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 09:17 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
I don't find the lines that blurry as to flyfishing, but they are hard to define from a regulatory standpoint. Most regulatory definitions take weight of the "lure" or "fly" into account. Generically, of course, a fly is a "bait" or "lure" at least in one person or another's fishing slang.

Relative to fly fishing, if the "lure" is attached to a fly line whose weight is what is actually cast, it is a fly, the bait/lure going along for the ride. Fly fishing depends upon fly-line casting, and isn't the same as fishing with a fly, or fishing with a fly rod. If the "fly" is heavy enough to be "thrown" by the rod and tow the leader/line along, it is a "lure." As in earlier days of angling, fly rods are primarily used for fly-line casting, but by virtue of their length they can be versatile poles for trolling and/or throwing heavier lures.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 10:17 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Check out the little spoons the Japanese use on Tenkara rods.

https://www.tenkarabum.com/fly-rod-spoons.html

Imageupload pictures

They work well, often better than streamer. I bought some spinner blades and made up set very inexpensively. Not legal in Oregon as a fly, but we have a lot of "fly and lure" water.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 10:32 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I used to cast spoons a lot with a 9wt and they followed the line. A small night crawler with no shot will follow the line if not slung off. An oval cast or even opening up the loop can broaden the use of a flyline, so can an elevated platform like a dock or a bridge.
I say jigs are flies if they can be cast with a fly line, all the currently popular beadhead/conehead/barbell stuff are jigs and every one using them calls them flies.
As to classification I am a flyrod fisherman, mostly I use flies. Although with the recent Mo. definitions I found myself fishing "soft plastic baits" when tying on a foam beetle or gurgler.
Writing regulations that clearly specify what fly fishing or even what a fly is legal terms can be nearly impossible, and that is a fine reason to eliminate "fly only" or "fly fishing only" regulations and areas. I don't feel like I am a threat to the other anglers and I don't feel like I need to be protected from them either.

Post 01 Oct 2019, 11:34 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
I more or less agree. Where resource protection is the regulatory goal, traditional FFO, might just as well be "artificial lures only," perhaps with limitation on hook types if a certain design, treble hooks, lets say, is documented to have a significantly lower survival rate of released fish. The little spoons shown above with Tenkara fishing have been around for a long, long, time. I have a box full of them--from Herter's--someplace. Adding one to a gang of wet flies was a common rig.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply