It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

New Topic Add Reply
Info on the Wilderdilch
Post 04 Mar 2014, 16:11 • #1 
Master Guide
I was stumbling around in The Tying Bench this afternoon and came across this fly. It's a neat looking critter and I'd like to try tying it, but a Google search isn't yielding much info on it except for the same picture and an abbreviated list of materials for it.

Does anyone have any info about tying the fly, or perhaps a link. I would appreciate hearing about it if you do.

Thanks.

Post 04 Mar 2014, 18:42 • #2 
Guide
Hi Panfish Rick,

Here is a link to the Wilderdilch. I can email over a tutorial if you would like.

http://smallmouthflybox.blogspot.com/20. .. dilch.html

Post 04 Mar 2014, 19:40 • #3 
Master Guide
Actually I found that link and that's about it. I'd love to see the tutorial if that's possible.

Thanks.

Post 08 Mar 2014, 12:52 • #4 
Guide

Hi Panfish Rick-

I will do my best to get a tutorial online soon. I found this streamer in a local newspaper story (http://www.twincities.com/alllistings/c. .. source=rss). The pattern was named and tied by Tony Stifter in the news story, but I made my version (above) based on the picture in the article. My version appears to be a little more refined, but they end up looking less perfect as they get mauled by fish. They get better when they are ratty!

I don't think a tutorial is posted anywhere online, but I could be wrong. This has turned into a local/regional smallmouth pattern here in Minnesota.

Thanks,

Doug

Post 08 Mar 2014, 14:45 • #5 
Master Guide
Oh, so that's your fly. I didn't know that. You did a great job with it. I thought your were going to send a link or something. I didn't mean to ask you for a tutorial but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

We don't have small mouth bass down here - only the large mouth version, but I trust the fly will work the same for them. Perhaps a smaller one will work as a cross-over fly for both bass and large blue gill. We'll see.

Thanks for your efforts.

Rick

Post 08 May 2014, 11:29 • #6 
Hi Guys,
A friend if mine forwarded this link to me. I'm not sure if the discussion is still open, but I'd be happy to answer any questions about this fly.
I'm not sure if the attachment will work, but I'll give it a shot.
-Tony

Post 08 May 2014, 18:07 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks very much for this. It looks a lot like a fat head diver with the addition of the hackle and rubber legs. It's bigger too. Is the hook bent so it rides point up?

Thanks for the pictures!

Rick

Post 09 May 2014, 21:29 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Rick, I have one. Send my your address and I will mail it to you.

Paul

Post 10 May 2014, 06:25 • #9 
Master Guide
PM sent. Thanks.

Rick

Post 06 Jun 2014, 17:26 • #10 
My apologies for not responding sooner.
I use a #2 Gamakatzu B10S stinger, and it rides point down - just under the surface..

Post 01 Aug 2014, 19:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Tony thank you for chiming in on this thread. I received one of these flies from the original poster in a fly swap and copied it. The fly has produced some fantastic bass for me!

Post 01 Aug 2014, 21:43 • #12 
Guide
Hi Jeff-

What reel is that in the picture?

Hope you are doing well.

Doug

Post 11 Jun 2021, 22:08 • #13 
Guide
Hi All,

I am bumping up this post because I am going on a smallmouth trip on Monday, 6/14. The rivers up here in Minnesota are very low given the super high temps and low levels of moisture the past few weeks.

I am planning on tossing my favorite fly, the Wilderdilch. I first saw the pattern in the newspaper, it was tied by a local fly fisherman/fly tyer named Tony Stifter. Just an amazing pattern. The highlight for me is the palmered turkey marabou body.

This pattern rides just below the surface, perfect for low water conditions. There is a temptation to pack the deer hair head really tight, but I discovered it is best to keep the head on the loose side. Packing the hair too tight takes some of the action out of the fly.

Tony’s pattern and a pic can be found on the St Paul Fly Tier’s website.

Thanks,

Doug

New Topic Add Reply