It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:42

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 May 2019, 10:19 • #76 
Sport
1) Muddler minnow tied with a sparse head (not tightly packed, want it to stay just above the jagged rock bottom that eats even hook up patterns). I tie them in various colors to imitate baitfish to crawfish.
2) Any Hook point up crawfish pattern
3) Backstabber (black or rust)
4) Soft hackles (usually size 12 in tandem under an indicator once the water gets low , slow and gin clear)
5) Purple boa leach (dragged along the bottom) size 6 or 8 on a mustad 3366

I fish smaller water so my flies tend to be smaller unless its rained recently but smaller is usually better) . Muddler minnows (3xl streamer hook) and backstabbers (Mustad 3366) in sizes 6 & 8. Crawfish size 4 to 10 (3xl streamer hook ( in size 4 a Mustad 3366 works well too)) well weighted. When I'm lucky (or cursed) and I hit the gizzard shad fry hatch then an appropriately sized siver or white floating minnow pattern or a white muddler minnow with lots of flash for subsurface.

Post 13 May 2019, 11:21 • #77 
Guide
I am not an expert, but here is a link to my blog on this topic. The original post was in 2011, but the patterns still work well for me.

https://smallmouthflybox.blogspot.com/2 ... ve-of.html

Thanks,

Doug

Post 13 May 2019, 16:04 • #78 
Sport
I agree w BrianM. Favorite smallmouth fly is a Muddler, sizes 10, 12 and 8. Worked very well on SW Wisconsin (Driftless ) streams when I lived back there. Platte River in Grant County upstream from Coon Hollow Road was my favorite.

Post 15 May 2019, 14:13 • #79 
Master Guide
Hard to beat a Muddler. The deer hair head has inspired so many other patterns/derivatives today. Zoo Cougar, Drunk & Disorderly are just two that come to mind. Packed deer hair head with a collar. Any other material south of that to the bend of the hook.

Post 05 Aug 2019, 12:14 • #80 
Sport
Heddonist wrote:
I now realize that in my earlier list of favorites I failed to mention one of the most enjoyable and productive streamers.

Its a simple no-namer copy of a salt water tarpon fly, scaled down -- @ size 4 short sturdy hook. Two saddle hackle feathers splayed as wings, a few strands of flash between them and two more wound as hackles up front. Strip. strip, stop -- all the way in, if you can get it in that is. Orange, white and red, black, and white and gray work for me. Casts nicely on a 5 or 6 wt too.

Pike and Pickerel will also crash the party.

Heddonist

I fish something like this too and have done very well with them. I change flies mostly because I have hundreds of patterns that interested me and got tied and if I just stuck with the same ones I know work I'd never get a chance to use up any flies.

It's basically a smaller version of Popovics' Semper Fleye (a striper fly), which is itself pretty much Homer Rhodes' Seaducer (a tarpon fly) though I gather the latter was often tied with stiffer hackle up front. I've never seen a tarpon, so what do I know. I mostly use red in front of white

Post 30 Oct 2019, 17:49 • #81 
Sport
Wow! Very nice...

Post 01 Nov 2019, 08:23 • #82 
Sport
lkaa wrote:
Heddonist wrote:
I now realize that in my earlier list of favorites I failed to mention one of the most enjoyable and productive streamers.

Its a simple no-namer copy of a salt water tarpon fly, scaled down -- @ size 4 short sturdy hook. Two saddle hackle feathers splayed as wings, a few strands of flash between them and two more wound as hackles up front. Strip. strip, stop -- all the way in, if you can get it in that is. Orange, white and red, black, and white and gray work for me. Casts nicely on a 5 or 6 wt too.

Pike and Pickerel will also crash the party.

Heddonist

I fish something like this too and have done very well with them. I change flies mostly because I have hundreds of patterns that interested me and got tied and if I just stuck with the same ones I know work I'd never get a chance to use up any flies.

It's basically a smaller version of Popovics' Semper Fleye (a striper fly), which is itself pretty much Homer Rhodes' Seaducer (a tarpon fly) though I gather the latter was often tied with stiffer hackle up front. I've never seen a tarpon, so what do I know. I mostly use red in front of white

I recall Lefty Kreh saying this was one of his favorite smallie flies.....I think it was called a "red and white hackle fly". Maybe that is just my vernacular for it. But the Homer Rhode's Seaducer was referenced in association with it.....

Post 12 Jan 2020, 10:10 • #83 
Guide
The slumpbuster has to be one of my favorites for smallmouth suggestive of both a minnow or crawfish. I also like bigger rubber legs as well because they are just plain old fashioned buggy.

If I am going after trophy type smallies in a river I also like a madtom. These are usually best in early spring jus before the spawn is on or in the fall when they are feeding heavy for the winter.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 16:50 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent ties bones.I am going to use the rubber legs in various sizes much more this season.Going to try to weight it in different ways to see if i can get to kind of tumble on the fall in still water.The last one i had i was throwing at some rooting carp and caught 3 crappies.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 17:59 • #85 
Guide
Using lead tape like the stuff used for zonkers you can spread it out in a thin manner to get a glide or a tumble. I've done whit ones and black ones for crappie they are highly effective on black crappie that take more insects than the white crappie that we have more of here in Texas.

Post 12 Jan 2020, 18:48 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
Just three -- clousers, muddler minnows, gurglers. A close fourth is the Tabory Snake Fly.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 07:35 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
I only chased smallies 1 day all season.So much rain and the creeks and small rivers were completely blown out every time I had a chance to go.Lake Michigan is up over 3 feet from average.Most of my fishing was ponds and small lakes and they were in an almost constant algae bloom from the rain.Did catch more large mouth than usual.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 15:14 • #88 
Master Guide
The Crittermite is a new pattern for me and was a very productive pattern last year. The Smallmouth Gotcha also became a permanent member of the fly box.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply