It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:49

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Nov 2018, 14:49 • #51 
Guide
In Eastern Kentucky I've always had my best luck with a brown or tan wooly bugger. If that won't draw any fish I'll change to a chartreuse bugger. I like to keep things simple.

Post 12 Nov 2018, 02:41 • #52 
My favorite is a green wolley bugger with a burnt orange tail. I use them with a propeller in front of a bead head. These work great in lakes fished from a float tube with floating and sinking lines. I also use these but don't know their names. https://photos.app.goo.gl/LhEqsdjDhj1bN8EDA

Post 22 Jan 2019, 18:27 • #53 
Guide
I found this thread today and it reminded me of one of my favorite flies, the bead head Simi Seal Leach. I’ve caught a lot of stream largemouth and Guadalupe bass on this pattern by John Rohmer here in the Texas Hill Country. I fish this in current under a float in current seams...very simple but effective:

Tying instructions:
https://www.azflyfishing.net/thewall/?p=198

Side note, I also love Rohmers dubbing mixes.

Post 22 Jan 2019, 22:23 • #54 
Master Guide
Smallies eat anything but my standbys are :

Mickey Finns, Shannons, Mrdich Minnows, Sculpins, Deceivers, for streamers.

Big -- size 6 and 8 --Borger strip nymphs, hellgramite patterns, golden stone and hex fly nymphs.

Stimulators, Wullfs, Chrnobyls for dries.

Mice.

Heddonist

Post 23 Jan 2019, 08:30 • #55 
Piscator
cats whisker, which I could fish 100% of the time to the point it's a joke to ask me what fly I'm fishing

nickel-sized kicking crayfish I go to in spooky water, and a major foodstuff in our limestone creeks
Bull Creek Crayfish named for a 10-lb bass I stalked for a few weeks until I figured out her first morning rise, duck-walked the narrow dam before dark so I'd be there in ambush.
Bull Creek was also the first place I observed fall migration of these little crayfish, riding the current to spread themselves out in the creek.

a little bit different whistler I named North Fork for Tejas Camp on the N. San Gabriel - this fly does a really good sculpin, and the flagstone there has a lot of blennies. Similar story here, a flagstone pool with a big bass. See her rise, move to cast there, her next rise would be where you just left - we went round the pool a few times. Figured out her first morning rise and was waiting in ambush one first light.

Blind fishing and bottom-bouncing, this fly took a 22" endemic bass hen more than a half-pound bigger than the state record, and just before catch-and-release records came out - endemic bass records then required liver biopsy to determine whether the fish was a smallmouth hybrid - wasn't going to kill her for a record - I go by their blue-cheeks and sheen v. copper sheen. She was at the bat cave that sources the Trinity aquifer, and got this big eating baby bats that fell in.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 25 Jan 2019, 07:28, edited 4 times in total.

Post 23 Jan 2019, 12:46 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
I love that sculpin pattern BD.Tied mine in brown and black for the bullhead hatch.Just a classic design.I also plan on tying some cat whiskers inverted like yours.We use them point down with the wing on top,and bead head,They swim well
but get beat up pretty fast.I only was able to fish for an hour at my nearest SM stream and missed a couple bigger ones on # 6 hippy stomper.Been tying these from # 12 to 6 this winter.Working on some of your sculpins in a variegated,mottled versions to imitate round gobies.The preferred forage of Lake Michigan SM bass.I would take a 5lb SM over a !0 lb lm any day.I have caught both.SM bass fight like they are possessed.

Post 23 Jan 2019, 20:17 • #57 
Guide
I need to fill my flybox with some Cat Whiskers and Bull Creek Crawfish.

I remember reading your post about the Bull Creek bass and every time I drive up Spicewood Springs Rd., I look upstream at that particular crossing and remember your encounter.

Post 23 Jan 2019, 20:55 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
Newfydog wrote:
Big Y sells the Thunder Chick for about $0.75.

Do you fish that in public?

Post 23 Jan 2019, 21:00 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
I told a purest friend about all the trout the magnificent Thunder Chicken took. He had to cover his ears, couldn't take the horror of it. The trout people have been hung up on "match the hatch" for so long, I seek out purple flies and Thunder chick types just out of principle.

Post 23 Jan 2019, 21:09 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Yep,that has been a warm water soft plastic color combo for years.Electric chicken.There is some scientific basis for chartreuse and magenta?Something about the color wheel
and crappies.My buddy just told me to shut up and hand him the minnow bucket.

Post 23 Jan 2019, 22:43 • #61 
Sport
Three flies.
I start with a size 10 chartreuse foam spider on top, dead drift upstream.
If nothing eats that I switch to a chartreuse sparkle grub in size 4 or 6.
If nothing eats that I go with a black woolly bugger in size 6 or 8.
If nothing eats that I go home.
richard

Post 24 Jan 2019, 07:44 • #62 
Piscator
SouthernRivers wrote:
I need to fill my flybox with some Cat Whiskers and Bull Creek Crawfish.

I remember reading your post about the Bull Creek bass and every time I drive up Spicewood Springs Rd., I look upstream at that particular crossing and remember your encounter.

Bull Creek can fish surprisingly well from the 360 crossing down to Lake Austin. It's amazing how well bass can blend in all the people and dogs that play there. It should fish really well this spring - the kind of blow-out winter we've had will wash out all the fertilizer runoff (and hair algae) that drains from Spicewood neighborhoods. When you get close to Lake Austin, you'll also see spooky Big bass - watch the flows and depth there - the clear limestone bottom can be deeper than it looks.
Bee Creek will also be great fishing this spring.

Post 24 Jan 2019, 22:08 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Well, this guy didn't realize he wasn't a salmon and decided my pink shrimp pattern looked good...

Generally speaking though, I'm throwing clousers and various crayfish-type patterns. Although, one of my best patterns looks like nothing....basically just black chenille, white (round) rubberlegs spread evenly around, pink cone or bead.

Post 25 Jan 2019, 18:45 • #64 
Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
Well, this guy didn't realize he wasn't a salmon and decided my pink shrimp pattern looked good...

Generally speaking though, I'm throwing clousers and various crayfish-type patterns. Although, one of my best patterns looks like nothing....basically just black chenille, white (round) rubberlegs spread evenly around, pink cone or bead.

Nice. John Day River? That’s one of my bucket list places.

Post 26 Jan 2019, 01:04 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
SouthernRivers wrote:
clarkman23 wrote:

Nice. John Day River? That’s one of my bucket list places.

no, it was right off the Columbia though.

Post 26 Jan 2019, 09:30 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
That bass could swallow most John Day smallmouth whole.

Post 26 Jan 2019, 09:54 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
Its coloration is striking! Great fish.

Post 26 Jan 2019, 18:45 • #68 
Guide
very few briminators mentioned in the past ten years!

Post 22 Mar 2019, 21:09 • #69 
Master Guide
When chasing bass with a 3wt glass rod throw a size 12 airhead minnow. #12 Airhead Minnow Streamer fly tying for a 4wt fiberglass Orvis Superfine. I tied this after they only hit #12 hook streamer or my white bass fly

Post 07 Apr 2019, 07:23 • #70 
Guide
1) Wooly Bugger
2) Cats Whisker
3) Clouser
4) Comparadun
5) Popper

in order- if nothing hits those I go have a beer

Post 08 Apr 2019, 18:32 • #71 
Guide
For the top water bite: Charlie Boy Hoppers in tan, yellow, green, brown and black. Easy fly to tie, and the foam body gives the fly a lot of buoyancy. These flies are also pretty durable. For store bought poppers I like the Betts Frugal Frog. Subsurface, I've had good luck with orange/rust colored wooly buggers (with or without rubber legs), and have caught a good number of Guadalupe Bass and hybrids on olive, yellow, gray or black briminators while fishing for sunfish. I've also caught a number of Guadalupe Bass on size 10-12 beadhead hare's ear nymphs bounced along the bottom in riffles.

Post 11 Apr 2019, 15:11 • #72 
Master Guide
carlz wrote:
Newfydog wrote:
Big Y sells the Thunder Chick for about $0.75.

Do you fish that in public?

Every chance I get :)

Post 11 Apr 2019, 20:59 • #73 
Guide
I found this one at the Great Waters Fly Fishing show in St Paul, MN this year. Craig Riendeau calls it the Big Willy. The small one is called a Wee Willy Wiggler. Big Willy looks like it will be a killer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17BPeL ... anFdp3Xp_h

Hope the google drive link works.

Post 04 May 2019, 10:07 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
About the Thunder Chicken -- I wasn't sure before, but I'm a believer now :)

Caught on a 7' CGR 4/5, which was way underpowered for this.

Post 05 May 2019, 16:03 • #75 
Master Guide
I now realize that in my earlier list of favorites I failed to mention one of the most enjoyable and productive streamers.

Its a simple no-namer copy of a salt water tarpon fly, scaled down -- @ size 4 short sturdy hook. Two saddle hackle feathers splayed as wings, a few strands of flash between them and two more wound as hackles up front. Strip. strip, stop -- all the way in, if you can get it in that is. Orange, white and red, black, and white and gray work for me. Casts nicely on a 5 or 6 wt too.

Pike and Pickerel will also crash the party.

Heddonist

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply