It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:09

New Topic Add Reply
Mink Tail Nymph
Post 20 Oct 2007, 09:27 • #1 
Administrator
This little fur ball is my current favorite panfish nymph. It is simple to tie and uses one material - dark brown mink tail fur. And the pond fish love it. I used it last night to catch over a dozen fish in the hour before dark (yes Cameron, I do go fishing sometimes!). I fish the fly with a slow retrieve and the takes are gentle. I caught three fish when I lifted the line to make a backcast.

- Start with a lead weighted hook (the red thread indicates a weighted fly in my box).
- Clip a small pinch of fur and remove and align the guard hairs. Use the guard hairs to tie a tail.
- Spin some of the underfur onto the tying thread and dub the body of the fly.
- Twist some more underfur into a dubbing loop and form the leg portion of the fly.
- Tie off and finish the head.
- Pick out the fur in the thorax part of the fly.

Tom

Mink Tail Nymph
Post 21 Oct 2007, 02:44 • #2 
Emeritus
Tom, thanks for posting the mink tail nymph ... beautiful tie. One of my personal favorites, it's so buggy looking. I don't think I have ever failed to catch fish with this one.

A couple of questions. What type of vice do you use and what type of bobbin is that?

Howard

Mink Tail Nymph
Post 21 Oct 2007, 05:33 • #3 
Administrator
The vise is a Thompson Model A that I've used for years. I am starting to get a wish for a rotary vise, but the Thompson still works fine. I have an 11"x11" piece of laboratory bench top that I use as a pedestal base - the vise doesn't move no matter what I am tying.

The bobbin is an S&M (S&M Bobbins). I bought a couple from Hook & Hackle 20+ years ago because they were inexpensive. I've since acquired "better" bobbins. But I find the S&M bobbins handle better and by squeezing the sides I have instant control of the thread tension. I keep using them as my main tool. I've since learned that A.K. Best recommends these little bobbins for pretty much the same reasons I keep using mine.

Tom

[edit: did I mention that bluegills love 'em? I caught this pretty little fellow this afternoon while I was out with my son. That's a mink tail sticking out of his mouth. Tom]

Mink Tail Nymph
Post 21 Oct 2007, 14:17 • #4 
Administrator
Tom ... great gill. How do you like the Quiet Loop?

You know ... the fish could most likely care less ... but the red thread head on that fly sets it off.

I've got to find a mink tail now.

Mink Tail Nymph
Post 22 Oct 2007, 05:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fly! Before I scroll down I though this would be a good fly for bluegill ... Then the answer comes out just 2 seconds behind ... nice one!

New Topic Add Reply