It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:14

New Topic Add Reply
Leeches
Post 23 Oct 2007, 16:25 • #1 
Master Guide
Here are some leech imitations.

Waterloo Leech (I named it after the great spring creek in NE Iowa)

Trout from the same creek like it, too. (Sorry, the rod is not fiberglass, it is Lami Perigee graphite)

Soft Hackle Pheasant Leech (made entirely with pheasant marabou, copper bead and the rib)

Leeches
Post 25 Oct 2007, 08:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Heh Vlad what did you use for the body material in your first leech photo?

I like them both ...

Leeches
Post 25 Oct 2007, 09:08 • #3 
Master Guide
Harley,

I used black Ice Dub UV (Hareline product), teased out with an old toothbrush. It has a nice dark blue sheen to it.

Thanks,

Vlad

Leeches
Post 04 Nov 2007, 03:58 • #4 
Inactive
being a relatively novice tier, i would appreciate detailed instruction (including materials) for that waterloo leech. i bet it will work great for warmwater fishing here in missouri

Leeches
Post 05 Nov 2007, 03:39 • #5 
Master Guide
Hi dpenrod, here it goes ...

Waterloo Leech

Hook: curved of your choice, like TMC 200R. For the fly on the picture I used Partridge Sedge hook which has a short shank and black finish. If you want to experiment with the mini jig hook, use that (Cabela's sells them.)

Bead: black, copper, silver or gold-depending on the body color. Black works great on black, copper/gold beads on rust/wine/brown bodies, etc.

I tie them unweighted too, when I want to dead drift them above shallow weedbeds. (This is a case when too much weight is not good, so weight them to suit your needs.)

Tail: Take a zonker strip, straighten up the hair, pinch a bunch and snip it off. Tie on the hook, and lift it upwards with the thread wraps under the tail. This will give the fly a nice action and will minimize the fouling.

Body: I really like Ice Dub UV-dub it loosely (don't use wax), and make a full body. Stop just before the bead, take a brown speckled hen or brown dyed partridge (pictured), and tie a nice wet fly collar. Cover the small gap between the collar and the bead with some more Ice Dub.

Now comes the fun part. Take an old toothbrush, whose fibers you cut down a bit. Brush the body of the fly backwards all the way around. This will create a halo around the fly and the flash will extend into the tail.

I like to use the loop knot (SW style) with this fly.

Take care,
Vlad

Leeches
Post 07 Nov 2007, 02:08 • #6 
Inactive
thanks vlad.

Leeches
Post 07 Nov 2007, 04:05 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That top fly looks a lot like the Goldie. I have had great success with that so I think yours is a great design! I guess I need to learn how to dub if I want to try tying it :b

New Topic Add Reply