It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:03

New Topic Add Reply
The Black Warryn
Post 01 Nov 2007, 13:25 • #1 
Sport
In Tasmania the brown trout often, particularly at dusk and pre-dawn feed in a manner known as 'tailing'. Sometimes this occurrs on dull days as well, particularly in the more remote lakes.
While trout may feed in flooded margins on the mainland it would not normally include the very distinctive habit of elevating the tail as they move.
It is quite exciting to see a large tail fully exposed in the shallower water, quite often with very little surface disturbance or perhaps waving very slowly.
As I mostly fish a dry fly, the link below will tell you of the developement of a fly designed to catch these tailers but which went on to be used far more widely. It may work for you.
Waz.
www.kossiedun.com.au/Warr ... Warryn.htm

The Black Warryn
Post 02 Nov 2007, 13:52 • #2 
Master Guide
That's a neat looking pattern! A bit fancy for my dumb freestone trout, but I bet a lot of American tailwater fishermen would find that one very interesting.

BTW, I've been intrigued by some of y'all's terrestrials lately (e.g. the Rubicon Knobby, etc.)--do you have any thoughts on some that might translate to fishing here in the States?

The Black Warryn
Post 02 Nov 2007, 17:38 • #3 
Master Guide
reminds me of the Klinkhammer pattern.

The Black Warryn
Post 04 Nov 2007, 23:03 • #4 
Sport
As far as grass hopper patterns go my most used one is very basic. A beige nylon chenille body with a small extension loop out past the hook bend and clipped to shape, knotted yellow swiss straw legs with a touch of red marker pen and clipped knobby head and usually tied on a size 14 to 10 standard dry fly hook. That is it.

Speaking of hopper patterns, I have a couple of Dave's Hoppers tied by Jay Buchner in my collection.
I seem to recall that the original pattern had a nylon monofilament underbody but I can find no mention of it anywhere I have looked. Can anyone tell me if this was so?

Mark, I agree that my black fly looks like a Klinkhammer but I was thinking drowned leftovers rather than emergers when I tied it. The last thing added a couple of years ago was the few turns of peacock hurl and that was definately influenced by the Klinkhammer. I wanted a more solid underwater profile.
Waz.

The Black Warryn
Post 05 Nov 2007, 02:44 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks for the hooper picture--I'll have to try the raffia legs and see how they hold up.:D

The Black Warryn
Post 06 Nov 2007, 15:17 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Paradun, Have you tried tying a termite like that? I've fished ants tied parachute style on scud hooks. Only dress the post; they work great.

The Black Warryn
Post 06 Nov 2007, 16:13 • #7 
Emeritus
Paradun, the Black Warryn is one very nice fly. Good job.

The Black Warryn
Post 07 Nov 2007, 12:30 • #8 
Sport
Scud Dog,
I will be finding out soon if our termites are the same as the ones found in the U.S.
Ours are cumbersome flyers with big wings which they seem to shed at will when they land.
If they fall in the water the wings seem to stay on them and support the body. My flies, having hackle tip wings, the wings provide the same support.
Different things with flying ants though and I will be trying some tied on scud hooks as you suggest. One thing I like about these type of hooks is the wide gape for hook size.
We have already had some small black flying ants this spring and I have been using one tied on a #20 Kamasan B410 smut /midge hook.
Waz

The Black Warryn
Post 01 Dec 2007, 16:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Warren,
Well speaking about your wonderful flying termite, its almost an exact match to our hatch up here, unlike your naturals ours keep their wings till they mate and nest. But just about everything else is like two peas in a pod. The trout go into feeding frenzies when there is a hatch near a river or creek edge and the constant winds blow swarms into the water. I used your termite before Tday week when we had a fresh hatch just up river in a small stream that feeds the river, at the mouth, a large down tree was nearby and the hatch site. With wind dozens would hit the water and the trout would be litterly jumping out of the water for them. For two or three days there I must have caught dozens each time the breeze scattered the real thing on top of the slow moving water. Its a time when catch and release can be alot of fun. After Tday week I went back (yesterday) the hatch was over but I stayed all day and in about 8 hours must have caught between 20-40 trout, many over and over I suspect on that little flying termite. Of the group of flys you sent the one with the longer dark wing was the most outstanding of the bunch, the others with brown to black wings worked well and the one with white wings was the least popular with our trout.
I fished the whole day today, again starting at the little creek mouth but sense the termite hatch was done I switched to your Black Warryn. Pretty good fishing for about an hour till the few trout that were hanging around from the day before were caught a few times each and finally stopped taking the fly. I worked up river then, its was a windy cold day today, a storm is suppose to be hitting us either tonight or tomorrow, so it was in the low 40s all day and gusty. I worked in under some narrow areas of the river that had a canopy of tree limbs above, using the little heddon 8381 with a DT5F i was side and roll casting to avoid the low roof and casts were 25 feet or so, just about ever pool or tree root backwater had a trout eager to take that fly, so it was as constant on the river as the termite was in the creek mouth.
Both flys are real performers if you know where the trout are.
I looked at your grasshopper. I use alot of hopper flys here, they are very popular sping to summer with our trout. I would suggest a bright green leg, or perhaps almost floresent green, that bright, it would more match our naturals here. We also have some prying manthis here of the same color that are quite popular when they hit the water.
Richard

The Black Warryn
Post 02 Dec 2007, 00:56 • #10 
Sport
Hi Richard,

Glad the flies worked so well.
The hopper I try to copy for our local water is the plague locust. By the time it is starting to hit the water the grass has all dried off and they are a mottled brown colour.
We have a couple of hopper look alikes which live on the green vegetation on the stream banks. They are generally a pretty bright green and although they fall iin the streams regularly, trout dont seem to like them. I am not sure what they are but they normally get lumped together under the name mantids.
I dont mind emphasizing the yellow and red on the hopper patterns and when they start to fly in late summer sometimes add a little golden pheasant tippet over wing.
The hoppers back in along the alpine streams are different and have a little green on them and the body is more a dark grey/brown.
I normally use the same pattern but tied with a dyed brown deer hair.
Warryn

The Black Warryn
Post 02 Dec 2007, 18:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Warryn,
The first flying termite is the one that has the long wings, I have no idea why the trout loved it so, the wings are way longer than the real termites

This one was outstanding the trout were jumping out of the water for it.

This one almost exactly matched the hatch, trout really went for it too

This is the one with the pail wings the trout weren't taking it.

Richard

The Black Warryn
Post 02 Dec 2007, 20:56 • #12 
Sport
Hi Richard,
Well the pictures told me which fly worked for you. The good news is that it is the easiest one to tie.
The wing is not clipped but I use a single "V" shaped feather from a ringneck pheasant neck/breast.
I am re-posting a picture from the original termite thread.
It is the centre fly.

The other one which worked fairly well, I find to be better in still water like backwaters when the trout are mopping up.
The wings are pale grey dun hackle tips.
Warryn

The Black Warryn
Post 03 Dec 2007, 09:01 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Yep thats the exact two, both are outstanding matches the one has longer wings than our native flying termites, but the trout really went wild for that one. The one with the shorter wings was great too. Your right, it was a very slow water, and I was casting into the only little pools.
Richard

The Black Warryn
Post 10 Jan 2008, 18:40 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Warryn,
Sent you a couple dozen flys the other day, tried emailing you with the spec's but didn't hear back, let me know if you receive them ok?
Richard

New Topic Add Reply