It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:08

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Nov 2017, 21:22 • #76 
Glass Fanatic
Is the Uni Yarn? is that floss or a poly yarn. It looks like PT from the picture.

Post 19 Nov 2017, 11:03 • #77 
Guide
I think Uni Yarn might be wool, or a synthetic equivalent. It's fairly small in diameter, comes on a spool and can be fed through a standard bobbin. I use it instead of dubbing, because its faster and cleaner to use. I buy it from J. Stockard. If you can't find it, then hare's ear dubbing works just fine, but wont last as long.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/uni-uni-yarn Here's the link to their uni yarn page.

Post 15 Dec 2017, 21:04 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
From http://www.uniproducts.com/eng/produits.asp#

"UNI-Yarn is a standard, 2-strand, twisted, acrylic fly tying yarn, spooled instead of carded for convenience and to reduce wastage."

I thought this was acrylic so looked it up. I have spooled wool and synthetic yarns from skeins onto sewing machine bobbins for fly making.

Post 16 Dec 2017, 11:30 • #79 
Guide
Trev wrote:
From http://www.uniproducts.com/eng/produits.asp#

"UNI-Yarn is a standard, 2-strand, twisted, acrylic fly tying yarn, spooled instead of carded for convenience and to reduce wastage."

I thought this was acrylic so looked it up. I have spooled wool and synthetic yarns from skeins onto sewing machine bobbins for fly making.

I always wondered what that stuff was made of, for as much of that stuff as I've used I never took the time to look it up. Great stuff though, saves me HOURS at the tying bench every year!

Post 16 Dec 2017, 13:57 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
I like wool yarn, I can't tell that fish care though; dub,wool, synthetic, it seems the other factors matter more. Size, silhouette, hue/shade etc, If I were tying to sell, my flies would look different.
But spiders, palmers, generic nymphs and buggers just seem to cover my needs.

Post 31 May 2018, 11:49 • #81 
Sport
I came up with the Frug
https://youtu.be/QE6hMfCxkuoImage

Post 04 Aug 2018, 12:38 • #82 
Sport
Here fishing 3-4wt on the Guadalupe River, Texas, having a lot of success with an old New England Muddler pattern (BOS, Bruce's Old Standby) I discovered this neat pattern & have tied these up for years. It was a killer on panfish on Cape Cod Ponds, also when I was in Germany and fished for trout throughout Europe and panfish, small bass now in Texas …

http://dansflyshop.net/content/bruces-old-standby-bos

Post 04 Aug 2018, 21:10 • #83 
Sport
Gillbuster, that is one good looking fly. I am going to tie a dozen of those next time I sit at the vice. Thanks for showing it. It has all the colors I like in a muddler.

Post 02 Sep 2018, 02:15 • #84 
Sport
So I do quite a bit of night fishing around the small stream mouths that run into New Zealand's Lake Taupo. This involves wading quietly out into the Lake, often in the middle of the stream mouth and then casting out into the Lake. Usually, a floating line and a short leader is all that is required - and a big dark fly, usually with a splash of red. So the Black Rabbit pictured is often the go-to fly for this sort of fishing - and accounts for a lot of the quite large Browns that come in close to shore at night.

Post 02 Sep 2018, 07:34 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
Good-looking fly; sounds like exciting fishing as well.

Post 04 Sep 2018, 00:13 • #86 
Sport
https://youtu.be/FXDM0LXEfFA
XL bass popper with articulation to be weedlessImage

Post 16 Sep 2018, 22:35 • #87 
Sport
This is a surf popperImageImageImageImageImage

Post 17 Sep 2018, 10:26 • #88 
Master Guide
Nice! I’ve never tried a ‘stinger’ hook on a creek streamer it I bet it would increase hook - up %s. I might try using some thin guitar string (wire) as a clip and then secure to the main hook’s shank with thread. Have you done a version like this ?

Post 28 May 2019, 01:02 • #89 
Guide
https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/pi/8J0DRnR3~101-0018.jpg

Here in the GSMNP where I do most of my fishing, there is a local nymph called the "George" named after a fly fisherman of years gone by named Eddie George. It is tied with a peacock hackle body wrapped w/ fine copper wire, (and I usually add a copper bead to the hook) any reasonable hair or hackle for the tail, turkey wing (or tail) segment for the back, a hare's mask dubbed thorax, some brown hackle, and a small piece of white antron yarn for the wing casing. These are some examples of my own version. The original has a lot going on and I like to modify flies to use fewer steps yet still look and function OK. So, I have eliminated the turkey wing and the brown hackle. I use extra dubbing and pick out some for the legs where the brown hackle was originally used. I substitute different materials for the white yarn wing case including, white calf tail, yellow duck quill, red duck quill, and others. Any fly or nymph with yellow in it works extremely well here. Will post some more of my nymphs in the near future.
Joe

Post 01 Aug 2019, 19:31 • #90 
Guide
For alpine lakes and small creeks, midges seem to be productive:

I’ve tied up a few sculpin patterns for streamer fishing on larger waters too:

This one’s mainly a joke:

And this one’s my variant of the 20-Incher I call the Tubby Tabby. The recipe calls for tabby dubbing.

Regrettably, the tubby tabby in question was not amused:

Post 03 Aug 2019, 12:48 • #91 
Glass Fanatic
I love the royal mop fly.

Post 27 Aug 2020, 14:18 • #92 
Guide
I've been cranking out these Hendricksons all summer, as the brookies on the upper Credit river have been hammering them, and I usually leave one or two in the trees on any given outing ; )

Post 27 Aug 2020, 15:25 • #93 
Glass Fanatic
Those look good! A Hendrickson worked on a Platte River brown my last time there; great pattern.

Post 06 Sep 2020, 07:32 • #94 
Guide
Thanks Tomah! They've certainly been doing the trick for me this season. I had to keep tying them bigger and bigger to match the caddis hatches on the Credit. The brookies just can't keep away from 'em!

Lately I've been getting into soft-hackle streamers, hoping to get into some of the big boys coming up out of the lake (Ontario)

Post 25 Mar 2021, 18:45 • #95 
Master Guide
The Twinkie.............it's a catfish fly
mattress foam glued onto spawn sack and a snell, with fabric cement

Post 07 Jul 2021, 11:41 • #96 
Fishing the lakes here in Central Oregon up until a week ago. Some water temps are getting high so giving the fish a break for a bit. Learning a lot from the guys at Fly Fish Food and paying close attention to Mr. Egan. Early in the season I tried his Chironomid Frenchie pattern on a straight hook and it's been dynamite to say the least. I think the fish take it for either a chironomid or maybe even a callibaetis nymph. but it sure works on a midge tip line with a long floro leader.

Post 23 Oct 2021, 23:45 • #97 
Hi Folks,

Mostly fly fish on the Bow River, here in Alberta, Canada and sometimes I'll break out the old spinning rod, casting from the bank at Glenmore Reservoir for pike.

I am starting to tie West Coast salmon/steelhead flies. This is called Kelsie's Hope. There's a story behind every fly, and this one is no different. Hopefully I showed some respect. Cheers!

Post 21 May 2022, 07:23 • #98 
I fly fish CT and MA rivers, Farmington, Housatonic, Westfield and Willimantic. I am currently re stocking my Elk Hair Caddis, later I will tie some LaFontaine Cased Caddis patterns.

Post 25 Mar 2023, 05:22 • #99 
Sport
Finally back to fly fishing after a 40 year absence - family, work somehow interfered - now have my priorities back in order and got re-equiped for fly fishing. Finding the fly fishing community to be very welcoming. Bought an old Thompson vise and some bugger patches, chenille, wire and hooks. Since I figured the sport had evolved from my early fenwick pflueger medalist days I bought a new 10' graphite nymphing rod and matching 3 wt reel and started tying some PT's, perdigons, caddis dries, Stimulators. Probably caught most trout on The Salmon River in a fly fishing area on woolly buggers and nymphs, then hit the Farmington River in the summer when The Salmon dried up. That's a totally different can o worms where there are a 50/50 mix of wild and holdovers or stocked trout. Fished small bwo's, tricos, summer winter caddis with some success and hooked into a few bigger fish on some streamers, Zonker's and then got into a whole Kelly Galloup craze and hooked a couple more nice fish. But I think I was mostly using the new gear. So now I'm ready to get more familiar with the vintage Fenwicks that have sat in their tubes for most of the past 40 years (FF755 and 806) and see how they fish with dry's, wets, nymphs and streamers. Over the winter caught a lot on PT's and Princes. Trying to simplify and not go too many directions at one time!

Post 26 Apr 2023, 17:42 • #100 
Sport
I went back to my roots last year and returned to the Ozraks, I fished Taneycom, Norfork, and White rivers and a few of the trout parks and wild trout management areas in Missouri, I got as new fly pattern for the white and norfolk called a holo nymph. Holo tensil ribbed with embroidery thread. I tie them in many different colors and have made a few modifications to make the pattern more mine,

Tying instructions for Holo Midge

1. Hook – Size 16-18 1270 Daiichi
2. Holo Tinsel
a. Root beer
b. Red
c. Purple
d. Black
e. Pick your favorite color
3. Rib
a. Embroidery Yarn - Walmart – check with your wife first
b. Separate the three strands – use one strand for rib
c. I also use gold, silver, and copper wire for some midges
d. Gold for Root Beer
e. Copper for Red and Root Beer
f. Silver for Black and Purple
4. BeaD
a. Silver for red
b. Copper or Gold for Root Beer
c. Silver for black and purple
5. Thread
a. I always use red
b. Bud Lilly swore it induced strikes
c. Semperfli has 12/0 and 18/0 Pre waxed
6. Tying Instructions
a. Crimp Barb
b. Place bead on hook
c. Secure in Vice
d. Place Thread on hook
e. Secure the Rib
f. Secure the Tinsel
g. Wrap Thread to the head of the fly behind the bead
h. Wrap the tinsel forward and secure with three tread wraps
i. Wrap the Rib Forward and secure with three Wraps
j. Do two whip finishes
k. I use Semperfli UV as it gives better reflection

7. Red and root beer were the hot midges on the Norfork and the White in the Ozarks
8. I have not tried them out west, yet.
9. I just like to try other colors
10. I also used a nuke egg above it
a. Go to youtube and get Kelly Gallops video of tying the nuke egg

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply