It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:57

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jun 2013, 14:51 • #26 
Guide
I live in southcentral Pa. and fish mainly softhackles , but whatever works at the time

Post 08 Jul 2013, 22:35 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I live near *********, MT and love to tie and fish hoppers, especially foam patterns.

Dusty

Post 19 Jul 2013, 11:58 • #28 
Restarted fly fishing 4-5 years ago and joined the Ottawa Flyfishers Society (OFS). Had always bought flies in the past. Members initiated me in a session of tying.

Well got hooked. Now have so much material I could open my own store. LOL

Been tying many types of flies, even Tenkara's. My smallest on a #22 hook.

For the last month or so, been tying Carp flies.

Next flies are going to be deer hair weedless mouses.

Post 21 Jul 2013, 11:16 • #29 
Master Guide
My best compliments to you all, great flies!
In particular I agree Romano's dry flies tied by magic CDC.

Welcome Romain!
Your flies are pretty nice.
Devaux style flies are between my favourites flies.

Never tied entirely in CDC, but traditionally by using cock hackles instead.

Partrige and CDC an interesting idea!

Maurizio

Post 21 Jul 2013, 13:19 • #30 
Guide
Tying up a few boxes for an upcoming summer trip to Tasmania. Looking forward to that!

Post 27 Jul 2013, 07:54 • #31 
Sport
I live in Pipestone Montana. I mostly tie and fish soft hackles.

I have just tied up a bunch of Griffith Gnats and some generic coachmen for the CFWEP (Clark Fork Watershed Education Program) kids fly fishing camp the week after next. I will tie up a bunch of soft hackles and small wooly buggers for the kids next week.

We teach them fly tying but it is always good to have some extra flies available. My son went last year, and is going again this year. He said they did not tie flies in the evening but played games on the beach instead. Maybe I can coax some kids into tying in the evenings. Kids like to get creative so I take a pile of wild materials for them.

Rivers in Montana are low and warm right now. Hoot owl regulations are in effect on some of them (no fishing noon to midnight)

Post 13 Aug 2013, 09:39 • #32 
Well, like I had mentioned earlier. But not weedless, this time.

Made a few the other day, but this one I like most. Kind of has the realistic face to it.

Post 19 Dec 2013, 11:53 • #33 
Master Guide
I live in eastern Massachusetts. I fish the Nissatisitt, and Squanacook primarily for small stream trout fishing, also the Concord, and Merrimack for smallmouth. For large trout I fish the Deerfield here in Mass. - a tail-water fishery. I also travel to other spots, but those are my principal home turf fishing holes.

I tie standard eastern dry patterns using, mostly, natural material. I am fond of tying gnat and ant patterns, and some buggy things. Also the occasional nymph. I use an HMH Spartan vise, and regretfully do not tie as much as I would like to for lack of dedicated space.

Post 28 Dec 2013, 03:19 • #34 
Master Guide
I remember there being a fellow, I believe from NJ, who used to tie with exotic, delicate, synthetics. Quite popular for awhile, wrote some books. Beautiful life-like imitations, suited to display. I'm not certain whether they were effective fishing tools, but eye-catching to say the very least. His name is on the tip of my tongue, but at the moment eludes me. "Betts" comes to mind, but I can only recall an older fellow - Fran Betts by the name of Betts who owned a shop in up-state NY - who tied and, built custom rods.

Does anyone recall the identity of this tier?

Post 29 Dec 2013, 19:04 • #35 
Inactive
cyangler wrote:
I remember there being a fellow, I believe from NJ, who used to tie with exotic, delicate, synthetics. Quite popular for awhile, wrote some books. Beautiful life-like imitations, suited to display.

I don't know but there is a guy in California named Graham Owen who does some cool stuff along the same line.

Post 29 Dec 2013, 20:10 • #36 
Master Guide
If I could remember his name I'm sure it would ring some bells.

Post 29 Dec 2013, 20:19 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I think you confusing John Betts and Fran Betters. Betts, of Denver, CO pioneered the use of synthetics in fly tying. Betters is from the Adirondacks of NY, had a shop on the W Br Ausable River in Wilmington NY. He is known for a fly called the Haystack, a deer hair winged dry fly imitation that later inspired the Caucci/Nastasi Comparadun.

Post 29 Dec 2013, 20:29 • #38 
Master Guide
Yes, I specifically stated that it wasn't Fran and that he owned the shop up there. Messed up his last name ... , but knew it wasn't him. I have one of his graphite rods, wood grip. Beautiful. You know your tiers ... he was indeed the originator of the Haystack and even when he became arthritic, tied a gorgeous fly. John Betts sounds right. I think that he may have originally started tying in NJ and moved to Denver, but I am probably mistaken on that count.

Thanks for the name and filling in the details.

Post 11 Jan 2014, 14:59 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I have been cloning some Shannon streamers; using a kahle hook, some plastic beadchain eyes; good spring time bass getter, but theyre heavy; takes a big rod to cast them-p-

Post 11 Jan 2014, 18:20 • #40 
Master Guide
P, those look awful good!

Post 11 Jan 2014, 21:13 • #41 
Master Guide
Nice tie.

Post 09 Feb 2014, 16:40 • #42 
I have been primarily a nymph fisherman for 54 years and have tied my own flies for 52 years ... My favorite patterns are made of muskrat,beaver,red squirrel,mink,and red fox furs ... I tie impressionistic patterns concentrating on size and color ... most sizes range from#8 to#14 with a spattering to #18 ... My favorite dry fly patterns center around the caddis,the most prevelant fly in our faster moving streams ... I tie a small selection of streamers for fishing fast moving sections of water ...
I prefer fishing streams and small rivers here in northern Maine for wild brook trout,landlocked Atlantic salmon,and smallmouth bass ...
My favorite rod is a 7' Steffen 5 wt and DT5F lines ...
I mostly fish the headwater tributaries of the the Penobscot River and
the northern half of Baxter State Park ... I retired as the Chief Ranger of the Park in
2008 ...
I am currently experimenting with fur and foam flies and concentrating on caddis,
grasshoppers,and ant imitations ... Winters are long and cold here ... Tying flies helps
Keep us thinking of fishing on warmer days while buiding up our inventories ...
Good luck to all and keep tying ...

Post 09 Feb 2014, 19:57 • #43 
Master Guide
I've fished that area. And, stayed at Kidney pond. Wonderful fishing. Caught my best landlocked on the West Branch - on a dry! I have to say - the scenery was as beautiful as any I've seen in the Canadian Rockies of Alberta.

Post 16 Mar 2014, 01:44 • #44 
Sport
I usually fish the Truckee and the Upper Sac. When the trout are shy, my go to is a weighted hares ear. I love it!

Post 17 Mar 2014, 18:12 • #45 
Master Guide
Currently working on hangtime minnows ...

I fish the Mississippi ... It's backwaters ... It's tributaries ... I also fish the Driftless area ... Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa ... No shortage of fish or water where I'm at ...

That fly above is not for any hungry trout though ... Once the ice is gone that'll hunt some pike looking to feast

Post 18 Mar 2014, 10:00 • #46 
Master Guide
I've mostly been tying woolly buggers for bass, bully's bluegill spider for bluegill, and soft hackle flies and killer bugs for trout. I do much of my fishing in SE MA.

Post 18 Mar 2014, 16:39 • #47 
Sport
Here in Germany, my most successful fly this past year for Nymphing the rivers have been my version of the Black Boudreaux, sizes 14-16 ... in brown, black, olive and dark gray ... The buggier the better results, Kip-tail dubbing works great; they simulate a variety of mayfly nymphs, clingers, stoneflies, caddis, scuds, dragon fly nymphs ...

Post 18 Mar 2014, 18:15 • #48 
Guide
cyangler wrote:
I live in eastern Massachusetts. I fish the Nissatisitt, and Squanacook primarily for small stream trout fishing, also the Concord, and Merrimack for smallmouth.

I love the Nissitissit river in Pepperell. I fished it years ago. below the bridge.

Post 22 Apr 2014, 09:12 • #49 
Master Guide
Wow, several Boston-area members in this thread. Me too ... I fish mostly the Haba since I live on the beach.

Post 22 Apr 2014, 14:51 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Like musicar (whose flies and rods I greatly admire!) I live in Mass and fish stripers when I can, warm water ponds close to home for bass, pickerel and gills when I have a spare hour, and I found a new love last year - sea-run brookies! Most of my tying is for stripers:Image

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply