It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Feb 2024, 10:28 • #1 
I am refinishing my friend's favorite rod from childhood...a Shakespeare Ugly Stik. About half of the blank finish has worn off and I would like to remove the rest and refinish. Alcohol up to 99% has not removed one bit. I use 3M safest stripper for my bamboo rods. I'm nervous to try it even on a small spot in case something goes terribly wrong. I was planning on testing it on the end of the butt section, but after removing the grip, I was surprised to see aluminum tubing not fiberglass.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Thank you!

Joel

Post 14 Feb 2024, 11:51 • #2 
Master Guide
I've used Citristrip on a couple of rods and it didn't damage the fiberglass.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68386&p=368025

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38118&p=125885

Post 15 Feb 2024, 07:41 • #3 
Thank you ColdPass! I need to get better at searching....I posted after failing to find the info that I figured was here on the forum.

Post 16 Feb 2024, 11:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Use some other search terms as well to see various refinish methods. Citrus strip is relatively mild, but still may be more aggressive than needed. In many cases, unless there is blistering, blotchy discoloration, or other obvious visible damage, there is little to gain in stripping all finish. Sometimes what doesn't come off easily doesn't need to come off, and a little careful scraping or buffing will tell you that it is one there for good. A sprayed or finger-rubbed self-leveling finish may be all that is needed after a thorough buffing.

New Topic Add Reply