It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Feb 2024, 18:48 • #1 
Guide
Hi everyone.
I was planning on making a fly rod grio that will be heavier than typical cork, based on it having birch bark and wood end pieces. With the heavier handle, would it make more sense to have an uplocking reel seat to better balance the heavier handle or does it even matter (ie, a up or down locking reel seat will have non-noticeable differences)?
Thanks!

Post 05 Feb 2024, 08:51 • #2 
Guide
It's been my experience that the rod balances better if you still use a downlocking seat and that very little extra weight provided by the bark grip is only going to help with balance. This is assuming that it's not a shorter rod that you're finishing out. My answer is predicated on rods that are 7.5ft and longer. Something like a 7ft 3 or 4wt I might opt for the uplocking seat so I wouldn't have to look for an ultra-light reel to keep things well balanced.

Post 05 Feb 2024, 10:11 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
There is only one way to find out. If you make a grip of a material stiffer and less resilent than cork, that will affect the rod's feel as well. Temporary assembly and fitting with reel seat(s) of different materials/weights in UL and DL position, and likely-to-use reels mounted is the way to tell what feels best to you. You will probably enjoy the experimenting.

Post 06 Feb 2024, 16:40 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That's easy for me, I just never got fond of uplocking.

New Topic Add Reply