It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Jan 2024, 10:59 • #1 
Master Guide
There is no doubt that I am glad to have built out some good rods. I am mediocre. Sometimes it’s a struggle. I know we all have problems on the occasional build.

However, after building out two wonderful rods for a very reputable person and receiving praise, I was only able to build out one more rod without an issue. That was before my knee replacement in 2022.

The next spring, I was applying a first coat of finish to a blank, and found that, for some reason, there was haziness in the thread finish, and that was after I had done most of the work on that Fenwick glass spinning rod blank. I decided to set it to the side and take a little break. A few weeks later, I began my Steffen build, and that has had issues I should have waited to post the photo that I deleted of the bottom section. The problems I’ve been having I think stem from a worn out rod Turner, perhaps, old, thread, master, having to make adjustments with my multifocal lenses. Amongst a few other things. Such as a blank falling out of the chuck and I think the cat messed with the plug and had caused the motor to stop. the motor is kind of loose on the spindle and slower than the new motor I picked up. Fuzzies, and what not too.

Anyways, I won’t to go into much more detail ha ha which I probably already have but it sure has been hard getting back up on the horse. Mean I can see maybe getting bubbles from a wobbly motor but what is causing a concave finish without being obtuse on the other side? Anyways, a man can go mad, trying to figure out how to build out a rod.

I really just wanted to build out the Steffen in a traditional manner. Because I think I do too much translucent work.

Honestly, I guess it’s kind of like a love-hate relationship and I’ve only built out about 12 to 15 rods. I reviewed some more building videos and went back through my books. Even talked to a couple of friends.

What kind of gets you guys through these things? Like getting back on the horse or relaxed enough to enjoy the build?

Anyway, I’m just throwing this out there and hope I’m not making myself out to be a fool. Thanks.

Last edited by Panfish74 on 30 Jan 2024, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Jan 2024, 11:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Perfectionism is the enemy of progress.

Post 30 Jan 2024, 12:44 • #3 
Master Guide
Panfish, I feel your frustration. I’ve been building rods for almost 40 years and still botch a build on occasion. I tend to get caught up in perfection and that’s not realistic. But if I’m going to invest the time and money in a build I want to give it my best effort. Sometimes it’s best to set the rod aside, take a break for a while then resume the build or redo the mistakes at a later date.
Next time you’re in a fly shop take a look at the factory rods. Most of the finish work on these rods is very average and these companies are charging over a $1000 for rods now. I’m sure the rods your producing are superior to many factory rods. I still enjoy rod building but many times I ask myself why do I keep doing this. Just take your time enjoy the process and enjoy catching a fish on a rod you built!

Post 30 Jan 2024, 13:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
What gets me through is not building rods for other people.

I also have started making a pact with myself to be more particular about all of my work. When things start going bad, I just stop and come back to it. That's why epoxy is so hard, it's the one part you can't redo easily. But if you remove it within 24hrs, you can usually salvage a bad wrap.

Patience is hard.

Post 31 Jan 2024, 09:09 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Taking a break is always good. Get the rod out in natural light, take it fishing, and you may find it "looks" just fine because looking at it isn't the end goal anyhow.

Post 04 Feb 2024, 10:13 • #6 
Master Guide
Well, there were lots of bubbles along the guide feet on the same side. Other wraps had a large divot or the finish set in a concave fashion. Where I had used a rub out tool to remove fuzz (as I have always done), the finish looked to settle back in but the next day, seems to settle back out.

The concave area seems to have been (wraps removed) on the other side of where the bubbles settled along guide feet.

On that Fenwick blank from May - the cloudiness disappeared about 48 hours after and I had already removed some of the wraps. Who knows.

I’m so, as it was that way with every Steffen blank a 3 of them. I could settle with some stuff but it started to get worse. Had to have been the loose spindle on the motor. Tried to fix it the “wobble drop” as it turns over but nothing changes. Even had some obtuse finish on the ferrule wraps.

And the lettering. It looked so nice. Practiced for months. Didn’t like it and did it over several times. Then had hair land in the Poly overnight. We all have our problems and probably even worse.

That's most of it. I used to be a stay-at-home dad and along with a lot of folks had some life changes. Returned to work. Not a lot of time. Something always going on at home. Used to focus on builds for hours and days. Oh well.

Steffen is being rewrapped.

Thanks y’all.

Post 04 Feb 2024, 11:16 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The epoxy problem sounds like a combination of contamination on the wraps (oil from your hands, or something else). And too much finish being applied at a time. Epoxy can't be rushed. And to make you feel better. The rod falling off the dryer has happened to me enough times that I set a timer to go back and check it regularly. And just remember not to power the rod turner off an outlet attached to the light switch (that one still haunts me. I started taping the lightswitch on while applying epoxy).

Enjoy the rest of your life and try not to rush the rod building.

New Topic Add Reply