It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jan 2024, 16:36 • #1 
Sport
I just placed an order for a rod's worth of Snake Brand Single Foot Guides. I've been intrigued by them since Snake introduced them but my next build will be the first time I use them.

Any feedback from anyone that's been using them? Any likes or dislikes? Wrapping comparisons to a standard SF guide foot configuration?

Looking at the ad pix, it looks like the wrapping (universal) part of the foot stops a litte short of the hoop and there's a bit of a step there . . . kind of where the universal foot profile transitions to fully round wire and turns upward. It looks like extending wraps forward of the eye to to make locking turns in front of the guide might end up with a gap in the wraps (so to speak). Anybody figure that out? Maybe provide a couple of pix of your work?

Thx!

Post 13 Jan 2024, 18:00 • #2 
Administrator
What you want is a "Forhan Wrap". See this article at Rodbuilding.org for an explanation and how-to.

In short, the last few wraps figure-8 around the guide and rod blank to keep the guide from pulling out.

Tom

Post 13 Jan 2024, 18:42 • #3 
Sport
Thx Tom.

Appreciate the link. I forgot about Forham's approach and that might close the thread gap I'm anticipating/worried about.

Once all components arrive and I start building I'll send pictures (BTW it'll be a H/H XI 7'9" 3 WT carbon blank).

Post 13 Jan 2024, 20:14 • #4 
Guide
Wrapped one today with them. Did locking loops at the junction you speak of. It is tight. Used a piece of thread to pack it. I ordered 1’s and 2’s. The 1’s are generously sized with a long foot. 2’a slight increase in loop size.

Where the foot narrows for the loop, the transition should create a barrier, so not if locking wraps are needed. Will see how the hold up on a salty 6.

Post 30 Jan 2024, 21:10 • #5 
Sport
Wanted to close this question out. My Snake SFs showed up late last week and I had a chance to wrap one and see how the thread laid on its foot style. Pretty basic result that didn't seem to give me any trouble. Here's a few pix for reference:

Pretty standard stuff getting over the ramp and heading up the foot:

Closeup pix of the 2nd and 3rd locking wraps:

a G8t suggestion from G8trwood to use a piece of thread to pack the wraps in front of the guide. I used a piece of fly line backing that was close at hand:

Here's the final result:

The guide foot forms a little bit of a tunnel that you can see in the last pic but nothing you'd need to adjust your finish method to address. All in all, they wrap pretty much the same as a standard profile single footer.

BTW, that's white 'A' NOCP on a No. 3 Snake SF.

Post 31 Jan 2024, 00:44 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Those turned out really well. Great work.

New Topic Add Reply