It is currently 02 Mar 2024, 01:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Oct 2023, 21:19 • #1 
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have photos of a factory finished blank of this configuration? Please see photos. Before starting the build, I would like to see a factory finished example. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Joel

Post 09 Oct 2023, 02:38 • #2 
Administrator
There is an 8-foot example on eBay right now - https://www.ebay.com/itm/404530537718. I don't have the copyright to the photos. We should not reproduce them here. Making a set of copies for your own personal study would be considered a fair use. I've never seen a factory built example of the 7 foot rod, nor was that blank offered in a rod kit. The 8-footer is the best example you will find (the 8-foot S-glass rod has a different feel than the 7 footer). You might look at Rick's Rods for a Varmac reel seat that can be cut to give a skeleton seat.

The S-glass factory rods were only made a few years in the 80s. The prime hallmark of factory built S-glass rods are the green, almost glow-in-the-dark thread accents. The main thread might be Gudebrod 5274 Chestnut. The photo below shows both thread colors (it's an ugly photo - a NOS spin rod and an eBay seller who didn't understand that rod tubes are not shipping tubes). The Lami rod kits came with all the components needed to build the rod, except thread. I posted images of the Lami instructions that came with one of the kits. The suggested Crystal Coat rod finish is no longer available. Choose finish materials you are comfortable with.

Tom

Post 09 Oct 2023, 06:42 • #3 
Thanks so much for the help Tom!

Understood about the photos...I'm not looking to build a fake, or sell the blank after completion...just want to see what an original rod looks like. Funny thing is that I do have the correct threads, grip and stripping guide already. I'll check in with Rick's Rods for the reel seat, as I was going to contact them for a bag.

Joel

Post 09 Oct 2023, 07:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
THe 8.5 ft factor built Sglass Lami I had the wraps were brown and very plain, no accent wraps.

Post 09 Oct 2023, 09:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I'm pretty sure I have a maroon Varmac reel seat, collecting dust.
I'd be happy to send to you for the cost of shipping...
PM me if you like.

Post 08 Dec 2023, 22:03 • #6 

Here's some photos of the finished rod. I tried to balance a nod to the original factory model with my personal preferences. The reel seat, grip and thread (Gudebrod) are NOS. The stripper is the last one I had...I think its old Fuji....open to corrections on that....the guides and tip top are Pac Bay, not really old stock, as I bought them from Wild River Distributing around 20 years ago.

Post 08 Dec 2023, 22:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!

Larry

Post 10 Dec 2023, 06:31 • #8 
Thanks Larry!

Joel

New Topic Add Reply