It is currently 23 Feb 2024, 16:14

New Topic Add Reply
NFC 805 build
Post 03 Oct 2023, 06:14 • #1 
Sport
Finished my NFC805 at the end of last week. Used Pac-Bay single leg guides, ALPS trilock reel seat and snub full Wells grip. The reel seat looks rather chunky (or the grip looks rather slim). Went for the ALPS seat because the ID was enough to accommodate the thick butt section of the blank and as it is only my third build I was a little reluctant to take a hacksaw to the blank to add a stent (a decision I may evaluate for subsequent builds). Dry fitted seat and grip and found them quite comfortable in the hand, so I’d live with it looking a bit odd.

Probably best not to zoom in too much.

Re: NFC 805 build
Post 03 Oct 2023, 12:34 • #2 
Master Guide
The rod looks great to me! I like lemke seats for blanks with large butt ODs like this. Is this your furst build?

Post 03 Oct 2023, 13:18 • #3 
Sport
Thanks, my third build, I’ve done a couple with the Epic ‘ready to wrap’ kits, where all the parts are supplied. First time I’ve done one where I sourced the parts individually. Fishes ok too, tried it with an old school SA Air Cel DT.

Post 03 Oct 2023, 18:50 • #4 
Master Guide
What are you using to finish threads?

I like my iconoglass 4wt a lot. Im sure the 5 is great too. I like my 4wt with a true to weight dt4

Post 03 Oct 2023, 19:27 • #5 
Sport
I used UD-40 epoxy as a finish over natural silk. Worked the first coat well into the silk to achieve the ‘ghost wrap’ look and wiped away excess, second coat approx 24 hours later. Reasonably happy with thread work, as I’ve tied quite a lot of flies, the finishing is still a bit of a work in progress, hopefully it will improve with practice.
Winding check and hook keeper done with black silk and finished with Solaris UV cure.
A nice blank, a few others on the forum have commented that NFC blanks have a similar feel to Epics, which doesn’t seem too wide of the mark, but I don’t have #5 Epic so I couldn’t make direct comparison. Good at close range, roll casts nicely and can put out a reasonably long line if required. Good fun with a fish on.

New Topic Add Reply