It is currently 23 Feb 2024, 14:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Sep 2023, 15:32 • #1 
Sport
I’d just about finished building an Iconoglass 805 and realised I’d not done the winding check and hook keeper. I was unwilling to mix up epoxy finish and used UV cure from my fly tying bench. The results seemed perfectly adequate, but I can’t recall seeing any reference to UV cure being used for rod building. Has anyone used it? Is there any reason why it isn’t used?

Post 30 Sep 2023, 16:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I find it much softer and less durable. I have never used the UV resin on a rod, but I have on several flies.

Post 30 Sep 2023, 19:44 • #3 
Sport
So I just bought my first sample kit of this stuff and a UV Light - have never used any of this stuff before. My sample kit says:

1) Thick - Hard, very viscous for making thick coating or spheres - bodies, heads, eyes.
2) Thin - Ultra-hard finish for scratch-proof finish coats
3) Flex - For knots and "swimmers". Makes a great wader repair.

I dunno - Thick and Thin both get hard.

Post 01 Oct 2023, 02:20 • #4 
Sport
I used a ‘thin’ UV epoxy, it seemed easier to get the coating on the wraps to be even and level. I was wondering if there was any particular reason why it doesn’t seem to be used more in rod building.
Really useful when tying chironomid pupae (especially if you’re using stripped peacock here for the abdomen), as you can get a really slim, durable finish. Most of my fly tying is smaller patterns and I find the thick resin less useful, on the occasions I tie larger patterns - dumbbell eyes etc - I use extra layers. I really should post som pics in the tying section (and pic of the rod here too).

Post 01 Oct 2023, 07:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
One of my questions years ago when I first saw UV resin used was about rod wraps, and I read about it a few times since, as far as I know none of the UV resins are considered good for more than a quick field repair. It is my understanding though that UV resin is not epoxy at all, they are completely different stuff, with epoxy always requiring a hardener.
The objections that I recall to using UV resin for rod wraps that I've seen are 1) that all of them yellow with time, 2) that they are too viscous to allow for full penetration of the thread, 3) that you probably won't get a deep enough light penetration to insure a good cure of what does penetrate the thread, 4) that they continue to harden anytime they are exposed to sunlight eventually becoming brittle
With my dislike of working with epoxy, I'll stick with spar varnish for any rod work I do.

Post 01 Oct 2023, 08:06 • #6 
Sport
good info Trev

Post 01 Oct 2023, 14:28 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
"good info Trev"
Actually it's kinda "hearsay" just remarks I've read here and there. I did once put some UV Flow on a loose snake guide and it made a satisfactory "quick fix" and must still be working because at the moment I can't recall which rod I did it to. However my experience using it on flies makes me believe the thread penetration is very slight, obviously light wont penetrate into the thread to cure any that does penetrate. It is (so far) a good coating on knots and fly line cuts.
The guy that told me UV resin isn't epoxy though, makes and sells UV resins.

New Topic Add Reply