It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jul 2023, 17:19 • #1 
Hi All,

I realize this might be a bit heretical, but bear with me. I've got an old Sears fiberglass rod that I bought which is too stiff, no matter what line I put on it. Therefore, I was thinking that I'd use it with a spinning reel, like I did for years as a kid before I learned to use my fly rod properly. As a kid, I just used the existing fly-reel seat and lived with the weirdness. Now though, I am mildly interested in replacing the fly-rod grip and seat with a vintage-looking spinning reel grip.

Can anyone recommend a replacement grip and seat that they think would work? Here are some pics of the rod.

Post 26 Jul 2023, 06:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not offering reel seat suggestions nor trying to be a smarta$$ but does it not like a 7wt (C) line or do you not want a 7'6" 7wt or possibly an 8wt rod?

Also, have you tried putting a spinning reel on it and taken it fishing to make sure after a lot or work & expense it won't turn into a lousy spinning rod?

Regardless what you decide, good luck with your rod!

Post 26 Jul 2023, 10:44 • #3 
Great questions! I've tried it with up to an 8 WT line and it just doesn't have enough flex down into the body. My 8ft Berkeley Spartan and an 8ft True Temper 1505 (7wt) I have are both much more pleasant to use. That said, your suggestion to try it with a spinning reel 1st is a good one and on my list to do this weekend.

Post 26 Jul 2023, 12:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I just wanted to be sure you realized it was sold as a 7wt... ;)

I'm sure the REAL experts on this board can help you out with reel seat options if it passes the "spinning rod" test however, if you have a baitcasting reel, try that too even if you have to tape it on the grip to get in in front of your hand as it might make a better baitcasting rod if it's that stiff.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Post 26 Jul 2023, 13:24 • #5 
Master Guide
For a grip I'd turn the cork myself, since I find that rewarding and it can be done with a drill, stainless rod, and sandpaper (or up to a full lathe if desired). Or you can get a premade one from any of the rodbuilding places. As an example, https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/cork-spin ... uilding-13

For reel seats on a vintage build fiberglass spinning rod I'd go with a varmac or featherweight:
http://ricksrods.com/components.asp#sub18

Alternatively, just tape the reel to the middle of the handle with electrical or athletic tape and call it a day. I suppose that's what you'll do for the test this weekend at least. If it doesn't perform to your liking at that, then it's time to sell or plant tomatoes.

Last edited by ColdPass on 26 Jul 2023, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Jul 2023, 13:27 • #6 
Master Guide
The Tennessee style grip might be a good option as a replacement - see below.

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/product ... with-rings

New Topic Add Reply