It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jul 2023, 05:07 • #1 
Sport
Just stumbled across a new product from SnakeBrand…
they are now offering a range of Single Foot Guides on their updated
website.

Highlighting the following

- Concave radius on the bottom of the foot to fit the contour of a round
fly rod blank

- Self-orienting and self-aligning

- CIRCULAR HELIX results in faster line speed, as traditional
teardrop-shaped guides “pinch” the line when hauling and shooting.

- The feet are consistent in length; they have tapered ends to ensure your
thread wraps transition smoothly to the rod blank.

Available in nickle silver and black nickle as their other guides.

https://snakeguides.com/products/single-foot-guide

Anyone tried them out yet? They look worth it and they are in the same price range as Recoils…

TL

Marc

Post 01 Jul 2023, 10:19 • #2 
Sport
Agree Fairly compelling arguments, excellent testimonial. but I’d be interested in knowing the weight of the guides

Post 01 Jul 2023, 10:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't used them, but I like the concept of the closed bottom

However, when I use single foot guides, I am almost always using an insert style (some are actually vacuum coatings). Like Fuji SiC or alconite.

At the price point, I would go to titanium frame SiC guides.

Post 10 Aug 2023, 06:36 • #4 
Guide
These seems pretty cool. I’m going to give them a try on my next build. I have used other single foot guides and did not see any issues with them.

Snake brand has quite a good reputation IMO so I’m sure these guides will live up to their standards!! Now I just need a new blank to put them on…

Post 10 Aug 2023, 11:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I'm thinking about building out the NFC Euro nymphing blank, and I may give these a try on that rod. Casting isn't a big deal with these rods, though, so I may also do whatever is cheapest and lightest. But these are definitely interesting.

Post 10 Aug 2023, 14:44 • #6 
Guide
They look like nice guides and with the concave radius I’ll be using them as a tip-top too.

Post 10 Aug 2023, 16:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
No insert, which was my primary reason to chose single foot guides. But they'd have a weight and flex advantage over standard snakes just in the elimination of extra wraps and finish. I liked the Fuji SIC that I used.

Post 12 Sep 2023, 10:03 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
These look beautiful and very expensive! I have built most of my rods using Hopkins and Holloway single foot, light wire guides. I believe they are slightly lighter (half the wrap to consider as well) and the line runs perhaps a bit better in them compared to snakes. However don't think they are easier to mount and wrap. While there's half the wrapping to do it's always a pain to hold them in place compared to a snake guide (but I'm not the most experienced rod builder out there so maybe someone can share a trick if he knows it).

One feature of the Snake Brand single footers that has me wondering is the single "neck" compared to the competition's double and more progressive neck formed by the two strands of wire coming together into the foot in a gentle curve. I would think this might be slightly more prone to unwanted accidental line wraps which is the only downside of this style of guide I can think of. Then again this only happens with larger guide sizes and relatively fine leader that's slack - in other words it's caused by operator error and improper line management - not when casting or fishing, more likely when rigging up or if moving about with some slack in the line.

Post 12 Sep 2023, 14:42 • #9 
Master Guide
I just received my first stocking shipment of the new single foot guides by Snake Brand and they are extremely well made. The convex foot and perfectly round hoop really set these apart.

New Topic Add Reply